DualSport Report by Python423 - Suches & Helen GA (Oct 5,6 & 7 2007)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Python423, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Heres a ride report for my trip to Suches & Helen,GA from Oct. 5th,6th,and 7th 2007. We were invited down to ride a dualsport ride in Suches,GA by our friend Beth and some of the floribamariders.com members. We drove down Friday evening and stayed at Skeenah Creek Campground ( http://skeenahcreekcampground.com/ ) which was only about 15 miles from High Valley Airport ( http://www.highvalleyresort.com/ ) where they were staying. So we got up early Saturday morning, and grabed a little breakfest at Dales Store there at Wolf Pen Gap in Suches. Then went over to meet Beth and everone. Everone with the group was super nice. Made alot of new friends. Some of them are coming to Tellico this wednesday night, and I'm going to show them a little loop there in Tellico thursday.

Well we got everone saddled up and ready to go, and hit the trails. This was a fun ride. Forest roads in this area looked good. Looks like a ton of riding around this area. I'll be visiting this area alot in future for dualsprot and offroad rides. We put in 63 miles on the first loop. Started out on Wolf Pen Gap road (180) from the campground, then quickly hit the forst roads. We started out on Flatland Road. Which was alot of fun! Had several creek crossings, and was good and rugged. Alot more rugged then any of our forest roads in Tellico Plains area. Then got onto Old Mulky Gap Road. Followed it until it hit Duncan Ridge Road, another good rugged Forest road.

From there quick stretch on pavment on 180 then we were back on the trail on Wolf Creek Road. Followed that back to 129 where we stopped at Sunrise Grocery Store and some of the group gased up. From there we shot over at hit 348 (Russel Scenic Highway). Short strech of pavement then we hit another forest road, Hatchet Creek Road. Then got onto Helton Creek Forest Road. Few Creek crossings on these 2 roads also. We stopped off and checked out Helton Creek Falls. Which was beautiful.. Followed that on out to 129, then onto 180 (wolf pen gap road). Where we got back onto Duncan Ridge Road. Followed that back then got onto Cooper Creek Road (instead of going back down Flatland), and that took us back to 180 a short distance up from the campground. So we headed back to the campground for lunch.

About this time, it was like 3:30 or so, and they were getting ready to go out on a 2nd loop. But we decided to skip out on the 2nd run, as My dad & mom were meeting us in Helen,GA that night. We had a cabin rented in Helen for Sat & Sun nights. And they had tickets for the Elvis show, so had to head out to be able to make the show and stuff. So we get to Helen and meet up with Mom and Dad, and take them to the show.. Sunday we did a little jeep ride up to see Horse Trough Falls. We came in on Wilks Road from 17, and went back out south in on Poplar Stump Road back to Helen. While in Helen we checked out Oktoberfest for a few hours, then did a little put put golf, and called it a night. Had a great time. Looking forward to going back to Suches area and do a whole weekend of riding next time!!! Here are a few pics from the ride..
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  2. Python423

Oddometer:
    Heres just a pic I snapped of the group while we stopped for a second.

[​IMG]

Heres a pic of Shannon on her DR200...

[​IMG]

Heres another pic I snaped at stop on the trail. Gary is on the left with another one of their riders.

[​IMG]

Sunshine Grocery
    N34 47.509 W83 54.101

Heres pic of Shannon outside of Sunshine Grocery stop on 129.

[​IMG]

Another pic from the store.

[​IMG]

Heres shannon on the short trail down to Helton Creek Falls..

[​IMG]
  3. Python423

Oddometer:
    Heres the group doing down the trail to Helton Creek Falls. Some taking a shortcut ..

[​IMG]

Heres Beth and Patty at Helton Creek Falls..

[​IMG]

Helton Creek Falls
    N34 45.163 W83 53.739

[​IMG]

Heres our Cabin in Helen for Saturday and Sunday night.

[​IMG]

West Family Restaurant
    N34 38.694 W83 44.234

This is a great place to eat at if your in Helen. They have a breakfest,lunch and dinner buffet. Its very good, good as anything like Ryans or Western Sizzler up here. Highly recommend this place. Its about 5 1/2 miles south of Helen on Higyway 75

[​IMG]

Horse Trough Falls
    N34 47.562 W83 47.192

[​IMG]

More info on Horse Trough Falls here. Water must been real low when we visited.

http://www.jjanthony.com/waterfalls/falls/horsetroughfalls.html
  4. Python423

Oddometer:
    Rest of these pics are from Oktoberfest. I didnt take alot of pics here, but got some video of it. I'll try figure out how to rip some of the video off it and put it up also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it! Great weeknd of riding and fun times!! Can't wait till the next Suches Dualsport ride!!
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    YFF know how to have fun and still go for a good ride :thumb
  6. Willy-B

Willy-B onebudwiser

Oddometer:
    Hey!! That's Patty.:huh
    [​IMG]

Great RR.:clap

Great bar.[​IMG]
  7. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Python,

I need to come out for a ride with y'all. I'll keep an eye out for the next one. Looks like a fun time.
  8. Python423

Oddometer:
  9. Python423

Oddometer:
  10. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Hey Python, I think we passed your group on Saturday. I was the 2nd group of big trailie bikes that passed you on a gravel road. (I forget where now). Anyway, I was on a black Vstrom with a bright yellow jacket. There was a BMW and another Vstrom behind me. I recognized Patty in the group when we passed and gave her a big wave.

We ended up stopping at that Helton Creek Falls too.
  11. Python423

Oddometer:
    Yep!! I remember seeing a bunch of Vstroms coming thru. It had to be somewhere around Flatlands or Duncan ridge.. We passed a couple dualsport groups while riding that day.
  12. Python423

Oddometer:
    Heres another pic from the ride that Beth took and sent me. It's a group photo taken at Helton Creek Falls.

[​IMG]