dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    Is the DSM website gonna come back up? Currently down. :(
  2. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    It's up for me:
    http://dualsportmaps.com/
  3. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    The server has this strange issue where every once and a while it will not accept new connections. The old ones continue functioning but the new ones fail. The server is up now though.
  4. cpatte

cpatte n00b

Oddometer:
    seems that it connects to dualsportmaps.com, but the is no content to display.

--Carlos.
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. It is back online.
  6. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    App-related question, but I'm suddenly getting a red triangle just down and to the right of the middle of my map. it's fixed on the screen, not fixed on the map. Any idea of what's causing that?
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Can we get a little screen shot?
  8. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure thing.

Red triangle right under SR 3A. If I zoom in/out or pan around on the map, the triangle stays in the same place on the screen (i.e., the map moves behind it).

[​IMG]
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    That is just pointing you toward a "navigateTo" point. Menu -> "clear point"
  10. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    BTW, sorry for the delay, I didn't see an email for your message with the image. My bad.
  11. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That's easy.

I actually use my dualsportmaps app every day on my commute with the google traffic layer turned on... it gives me the best, most accurate overview of traffic so I can decide whether to take the highway or the back roads.

I don't need a navigation app - I know my way home... just need a maps with the traffic, and DSM works great for that.

Here's hoping you make millions on Motobrain so you have tons of free time to get the dualsportmaps website to play nice with google again!
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I would love to have the money to dedicate to DSM. At its peak capability it was a really amazing tool. It is still pretty cool, but it could be a lot better with $15K/month investment.
  13. k1322

k1322 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know whats common where you live, but it sounds like you should try the app Waze. Now owned by Google and used as source for traffic information. But way better.

DSM still rock the socks off my Garmin Montana. One day it shall rise again!
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    :clap
  15. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting a little off topic, but I run Waze as well. I keep ending up back at DSM for my daily commute though. All the little warnings about vehicles stopped that aren't there, a million little popups indicating "heavy traffic", etc.. it's just a little overwhelming, especially when I zoom out far enough to cover the 20 miles of highway I can commute on. Plus, some idiot in the town I work in with way too much free time on his hands went around and marked every_single_pot_hole as a hazard.

The Red/Yellow/Green google maps traffic data on DSM is all I really need for my back and forth to work.

Where Waze shines is longer highway trips - up to Maine to ski, for instance - where you get a heads-up about police traps and road hazards you may not know to expect. On an every day drive it's too cluttered and distracting.
  16. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I win the Powerball tonight I'll cover the investment.
  17. txtinman

txtinman n00b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This app is not in the android play store. I tried using the bar code on the web page but it said file not found. Has it been removed?
  18. k1322

k1322 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Only available if you purchased it earlier. Don't know how crafty regards distributing the APK. Some parts of the app works without website services, but its heavily crippled.
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    It has. The website lost some of its best features thanks to Google and I didn't feel good about selling the product without all the rich features. Without the paywall, the number of users would quickly outstrip my ability to support them. Ignoring people in need is not in my nature so I've made it unavailable.
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to do what you feel is best obviously, but what about a stripped down version? It was a $20 app. Worth it, but not cheap. $5?