dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    The problem is support. I don't have time to support the software. The only way to limit the support is to charge "a lot" for it.
  2. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the site down?
  3. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    network issue, resolved
    thank you
  4. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a similar app ? I would like to finish posting all the dirt roads in southern va .
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You can keep posting tracks on the website. It still gets lots of traffic.
  6. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to download all the tracks efficiently or show more on the google map on the site? The clustering is really tight (I know, average ADVer has an x286) but it makes me zoom in to the point where it's only showing a couple tracks at a time which makes it difficult to put together a longer route.
  7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    The answer to this is probably evident to many of you guys, but I don't know it so here it goes.

I have an old Android phone (LG) that I don't use any longer.
    Could I use it as a GPS with this app? Or do I need to use a phone that is currently in use?

I could use my HTC One (M8) but would rather use the old phone in case it would get damaged by water, crash, bear attack and so on.

:ear
  8. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I use; an old Galaxy S2 with an otter case and a RAM mount. That way if I wreck and trash the phone, it's not my current phone that I'm using.

Works great as a GPS.
  9. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought DSM a few years ago and enjoyed using it. I've since bought a different phone (not Android) and haven't used DSM in a while. If I buy an Android phone (that I plan on using as a dedicated GPS) is there some way I can get DSM on it? Will the Google app store let me download it because I bought it and its associated with my account?

Related question: Anyone have tips on cheap used Android models I should be looking at? Is there a particular Android version I should aim for or avoid?
  10. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded from S2 to S5 and was able to install DSM on my new phone through Google Play (it was in the My Apps section)
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm going to give this a try.
  12. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    I just loaded it on my Galaxy Tab 3 for my trip to BYOB. Was going to add extra data but once the tracks download from the site it works fine without any data connection.:freaky
  13. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got a new (used) cheap waterproof android and have put DSM on it. However, the UI has changed somewhat since I last used it (and since the videos were made it looks like). How do I cache map tiles for a route now? The video makes it look like you hit the 'menu' button when the search results are open. However, my menu button is up on the upper-right (the three dots one) and when I hit it, it just exits me out of the search results pop-up. Is there something else I need to do in order to cache tiles?

Thanks.
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was unable to find it to download.
    Didn't see it in the Play store, the link on the site didn't work for me.
  15. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The app isn't available for purchase anymore, but folks who used the app previously are still able to install it.
  16. tonusmaximus

tonusmaximus maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can reinstall it but cannot download tiles. Stinks cause it was a good app and $20
  17. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I may have figured it out. Instead of clicking on search when on the map page as the video shows, go to the search option in the 'home' page of the app (the one with the four options (map, search, favorites, and settings). In the 'DSM' tab on that page there'll be an option to download tiles.

Unfortunately, I seem to have broken something in the interim. The app worked for me yesterday, but now whenever I try to go to the map it crashes. I've uninstalled and re-installed but that doesn't seem to have fixed things...
  18. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check that. I fixed this too by uninstalling, deleting all related content on the SD card and reinstalling. I'd tried to install OsmAnd alongside to compare, and I think that must have broken something.
  19. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone having problems uploading .gpx files to the website? I get an error saying "Map creation failed. Was the file you uploaded a .gpx?"

I got the error trying to upload a .gpx I created in google maps and then used gpsvisualizer to convert from .kml to .gpx. But after troubleshooting, I also tried uploading a known-good .gpx file (one that I've uploaded before) and it still gives me the same error (not the all ready uploaded error).
  20. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    Hey, Crafty, after all the talk about Google changing up their APIs a long time ago, did the DSM site finally have to close down? I haven't been able to get the site to come up, but since I haven't been able to get out exploring as much as I used to, I haven't tried in quite some time.