dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    I'm hearing interesting news on the DSM front... :evil
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's all we get?
  3. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    An updated website for starters: https://dualsportmaps.com/

A little bird told me the app is being reviewed for possible updates. That's all I can say for now, maybe Crafty will share more. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    two trackin fool likes this.
  4. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    The website has been rebuilt from scratch. All the old data exists. The editing/drawing features are back. So are the overlays. In short, its better than ever. On my 6 month plan is to get the app back online. I've got a backlog of stuff to do however so it may be a bit longer than 6 months...
  5. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Can you repost your donation paypal link?
  6. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I just put it in the instructions window, bottom-left.
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I am considering putting up a paywall for website map downloads and access to the app when it is uploaded again. Some sort of annual subscription. Something like $24/year for website download privileges and $36/year website and app access. The money would be used to prevent any more multi-year website and app breakdowns while I am waiting for spare time to work on it.
    I would like to hear the communities thoughts on the matter. I tried to do website on a strictly donation model, but it never produced enough revenue to allow me to focus on it at the cost of not doing other paid work. When Google blew up maps API I had to just cut out all the wrecked features which made me self-conscious about selling the app while it was hobbled. As a result the app went offline too. If the website can generate enough cash flow to purchase some of my primary attention I can keep it online all the time which would be my preference. This is for y'all though, so please tell me your thoughts.

#mouthstofeed
  8. Somber

Somber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the app, liked it while I had it, then things went wonky and I never realized that the site had come online as a stand-alone or I'd likely have donated and used it.

Perhaps some sort of crowdfunding (kickstart-ish or patreon-ish) startoff to gauge interest? Otherwise I'd worry you may not ever turn the corner - ie some people would sign up, but not enough at the start to justify the time, then there is a chance that prior to funding ramping up to be worthy of a significant chunk of your time and focus that something outside your control in the APP or OS world would break things and you'd be stuck feeling like you were before - like you were letting those who already paying down and/or not having a product working well enough to continue adding additional subscribers.

I'd like to think this can work, and I'd be up for subscribing at the rates you mentioned, even at the risk of it not panning out. Good luck regardless.
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchased the app ($20 I think?) shortly before it got pulled. I saw the potential, hence the payment for the highest priced app i've ever bought. Wanted to support this type of project too, and still do, but would hesitate putting more $$ in at the moment since I didn't get much out of it the first go round. Just being honest is all. The most valuable part for me is seeing/having access to others tracks. That is quite a perk, imho. I use Locus Pro on my phone, and can't imagine a better GPS app. Just sayin'.
    Queen of Spades and jjustj like this.
  10. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although I was pushing you to develop a self-supporting model years ago (I did appreciate (re?)learning about The Tragedy of the Commons though), unfortunately-to be frank-I think that window has closed. Jerry's file exchange site is free along with so many other sources and most everyone has moved on to one of a dozen other apps that work well.

Any amount that would support your efforts is likely to cause buyers to balk, shoot-look at how few are willing to pay Spot or InReach fees, and those can save a life!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    and thanks
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You may be right, but the site is a pretty useful tool for this community and I've yet to see anything with the quality of search and editing functionality which really sets it apart. It is clearly not the money, as the cost is so low ($2-3/month vs my Sunday newspaper which is $4-5/week). I think it is more of a mental hurdle where people find the concept of paying a couple bucks for something that was free or is hard to distinguish from something that is free (other webpages). Ultimately, it was just sort of sad that it took me so long to find time to do the rewrite because it was competing with paid work and I owe my family a certain commitment to providing for them. I had a good year last year and so I specifically set aside 4 weeks to do this (it took more like 8 but I learned a lot so I'm still pleased). I'd have charged someone else a lot of money for that time. When you add to that the cost of keeping it online, maintained, backed up, it is clearly not a value argument. You are not making a value argument, but rather one about the state of people and their connection to their purse. One that may be correct. Clearly, very few people have succeeded in making paywall websites work. It is hard to believe I'll succeed where so many smarter people ahead of me have failed, so I don't dispute you. Amusingly, we have taken the opposite side of this argument since last time we had this conversation. Then, I didn't believe I would succeed with a paywall so I poopooed the idea. Now, that I realize that I wouldn't actually make the time to keep it well maintained without some incentive I'm going to just ask and see how it goes. Likelihood of success be damned. They don't call it a "tragedy" for no reason. ;^)

greenramp likes this.
  12. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said, as usual, and I totally agree on the value and certainly the uniqueness of features. My Monterra/maps/mounts at over a grand sure isn't a good value, relatively anyway.

On account of your app and threads and videos I did buy my first smartphone and get several of my buddies into offroad navigation with them as well (and I am sure there are many others that you jumpstarted), so you should feel good about that.

It was way cool to be in the middle of trail riding/exploring when a buddy asked if there were any trails nearby in that phone thingy and I was able to use that feature to pull up the tracks. Good times. :-)
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the most part I like to find my own rides, that is a big part of the fun for me.
    I have not found an app yet that I like, that allows me go load the tracks I want to follow into the phone for off line use.
    Much of my riding is in areas with no cell service, and I would rather pay an annual fee for an app than spend several hundred dollars on a moto specific GPS, then spend more for the maps.

As for now. :lurk
  14. NickJensen

NickJensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great News Crafty! I've looked around and nothing found to really compare to the breadth of your features. I purchased the Android app and contributed a few bucks when you were trying to drum up support. The proposed $36 annual seems reasonable especially considering what standalone GPS mapping devices run.

I went up on your site yesterday and had my power go out while logged in. Now everytime I go back in Chrome I get a text screen asking about deleting a Map and yet had no means to do so. I am able to login via MS Internet Explorer though. Tried deleting that last thing I was playing with but Chrome still won't work. I searched for local files and deleted the few I found under a chrome directory but that seemed to have no effect. Is there any way to reset my Chome local environment to make DualSportMaps happy again?
  15. NickJensen

NickJensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GMaps v1.1.12 - Google Maps/Routing/StreetView All-in-1
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/849894/GMaps-v-Google-Maps-Routing-StreetView-All-in
    This Control gives your WinForms applications the power of Google Maps API v3

Crafty, I don't know enough about your code problem but possibly this might help your Google mapping effort.

From the article:
    "Problem: This Control stopped working properly.

Since Dec.2015, Google Maps JavaScript API applications require authentication, and this program stopped working properly (in "Route" Views, Directions blue line and Text Directions Panel are not shown), because the HTML/JavaScript file runs under the control of the Visual Studio's WebBrowser, which is, by default, Internet Explorer version 7, and that's not enough for the requirements.

See Article WebBrowser IE Emulation for Google Maps JavaScript API Key Requirement, which automates a solution, in two ways:
    • For VB Project (adding a Class) - without a DLL.
    • For other languages (VB included) - with a DLL.
    ..."
  16. kswaid

kswaid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crafty, I would definitely be willing to pay a subscription fee if you plan to keep updating DSM. I have used it almost exclusively to navigate on bikes for the past 3 years, getting by with using Tyre to create GPX files while the mapping utility was offline.

BTW, there is one really annoying feature that I want to mention since you are back on it. I always use the app as a simple moving map display instead of turn-by-turn, so having the map oriented with north up is the only way to go. The app often decides to reset to rotate with direction of travel when zooming, panning around, restarting app, etc. It really sucks when that happens and I would prefer if it was set and forget.
  17. Dracer35

Dracer35 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be opposed to paying a small yearly fee if I could create a route with an app on my phone and use while I'm riding. I dont currently see it available in the play store but if it gets restarted, I will be interested.
  18. gbmaz

gbmaz Power Newb

Oddometer:
    Your app and website was my introduction to using a GPS on my bike and everything I have used since has not been as good. I currently have an iPhone and have been paying $5/month for the premium version Rever app and while it has all the routes from the Butler Maps, the route creation and management sucks.

I am in the process of picking up a used Android phone to start using your app again. I think some sort of premium service with pricing as mentioned above might work. At a bare minimum it is better than nothing coming in.

Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this project. It helped open up a whole world of riding and exploration for me.
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The website is up and running. I need to figure out what I'm doing with the app. Still offline at the moment.
  20. gbmaz

gbmaz Power Newb

Oddometer:
    I know that I can still download the app since I had purchased it before. Does it still work syncing tracks back and forth between the app and website?