Dubbo region - NSW: Sunny Saturday with a few hours to kill

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by gco0307, Aug 18, 2018.

1. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well with Saturday on us and the work week at an end it was time to do the household chores in the morning before trying to kill a couple of hours looking out and about the local region, and so it was bike kit on before heading out for a little exploration.

Initially I figured I would head to own (Dubbo) to fill up and then follow a few of the sealed back roads to roads to Collie pub then stick to the sealed stuff all the way back home. But like all times I go for a ride, I changed my mind and after filling up I headed out towards Narromine on the Mitchell with the idea of taking the right at Rawsonville Bridge and just meandering around and if meandering meant some of the road was dirt, so be it.

Now, everytime I head towards Narromine I see a sign for Whylandra Crossing and always say to myself that I must get there one day, but as usual that was my thought as I headed west and so I skipped it again. Anyway, I did take the Rawsonville Bridge turn but rather than stay sealed I then took the Rawsonville Road turn off. No real idea why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time and while I started unsteady the groove did return, although it was not the full groove of a few weeks ago but it was still a groove.

Riding through the local farm lands, past the crops the road comes to a T junction with Rawsonville Road to the left, but as I came to this intersection I had noticed a 4wd disappear to the right (a few hundred metres) and using logic I wondered if this was the north side of Whylandra Crossing and could I cross the river?

So it was off to follow the road and it does go to the north side of Whylandra Crossing. The road is is definitely a 4wd road with ruts, bumps and what not to avoid, although on the bike it was easy as doing up velcro laces on shoes ......... easily done. Soon enough you soon hit what, in wetter times would be the river base of pebbles with the sand closer to the water. The pebbles were interesting to ride in and was actually easier done than I had thought would be the case which judging by the looks of a few 4wd people around at the time may have surprised them, although they may not have expected to see a motorbike there either.

Now, to answer if the river was crossable at the crossing, I will let the first two pics explain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That bank in the distance to the right in the pic is just huge, a good 50 or so foot high

[​IMG]

So after a small play in the pebbles and sand I decided to leave the 4wd families and headed out by the alternate track to make the way back to Rawsonville Road, which is where I made a small mistake when I turned right at the end rather than left. Right was the way back to Dubbo (Brocklehurst) and by the time I had convinced myself of it I was way to far down the road to u-turn it back (plus pride in case someone saw me :) ).

So with the embarrassment I made the way back to Brocklehurst but not being ready to go back to Dubbo it was 'left turn clyde' onto the Newell towards Gilgandra, albeit with a particular road in mind and so it was that I took the left onto North Terramungamine Road for a little exploration. I had explored NT road early last year but as with all roads that have dirt sections the quality can change from day to day which means that the experience changes every time you ride them, plus I enjoyed it last time.

NT Road starts sealed for the first few kays and does have (show horror out here) a couple of bumpy sweepers that are fun and could well be called 'fun corners', but genuinely it is only 2 or 3 corners and they are bumpy so not likely to be trafficked. But after the corners you rise ever so lightly and are onto the dirt as you head out into more farm country.

The dirt roads out here are often straight, corner, longer straight, corner, shorter straight, corner and so forth, NT road is no different

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As everyone would have heard, it has been dry out here

[​IMG]

Taken from a little further down the road - the dust is being caused by sheep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here the road basically goes right, then straight and you get to another T intersection where they had been doing some grading. Right heads back to Collie Road where left is more of NT road across farms and so it was to be left, but not before noticing that the wind had started to seriously pick up, not to coastal level but still strong. While the first sign had been with the dust caused by the sheep, now, just a kilometre or so away it was really starting to blow with dust appearing from everywhere.

I did say graded - the three spots to the right are the tractors

[​IMG]

And dust. The pic does not do it justice but you can make out some of the dust caused by the winds, which were not consistent or 'frontal' but rather very small in terms of width but strong so often the dust was only 20 - 30 metres wide but very strong.

[​IMG]

The bike contemplates 'to dust, or not to dust'.

[​IMG]

I did say it has been dry ............. this is (or was) another sheep paddock

[​IMG]

A little further along you come to a small causeway over Coolbaggie Creek, but like near all of the smaller creeks it is a little dry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After leaving the causeway you head across a few more paddocks before you get to Coolbaggie Road where a decision was to be made, right or left.

Decisions, decisions ................

[​IMG]

Right.

[​IMG]

Or left?

[​IMG]

I will not deny it, the wind was just getting stronger so it was to be left and head towards Dubbo .......... sort of, although I did have to check out the high tech bus stop that we have out here

[​IMG]

Now from here it got fun, of the wind kind as I was literally blown all over Coolbaggie Road with some seriously strong gusts, all the while leaning in to the wind but still being pushed towards the left verge of the road. May sound like a battle, and it was but it was a fun battle in many way and so I got to the T intersection with Burroway Road and being the glutton for punishment I made the right turn to Narromine and not the left back to Dubbo. After a few kays Burroway road intersects with Eumungerie Road where it was left for the final run to Narromine before heading back the Mitchell to home.

Now I know that for many, straight stretches of highway can be boring and while I agree in many circumstances I also find that out here it is not as often the case (the straights between Narromin - Trangie, and Trangie - Nevertire not withstanding). Not sure why but perhaps it is the bumps, the live stock or the fact it is generally not heavily trafficked and is a 100kmh plus zone but I do genuinely not find it boring but fun, although each their own.

However again I had to go past the Whylandra Crossing sign but having been on the north side of the river I was determined to visit the south side on the way back and I am kind of glad I did as the track in was short but awesome fun. I say this as it is a obviously an area where 4wd go to play so there are rough patches, ruts, deep(ish) potholes, single line paths and so forth, all meaning that you stand as you bounce your way through or around .... good fun.

Eventually you get to the river and get another good view of the bank from the earlier picture.

[​IMG]

This one is looking back to where I had been on the north side

[​IMG]

While I did not explore to much, this area seems to have a lot of 4wd tracks that are very short but would be a good spot to play if I wanted to practice in sand, pebbles and steep incline/decline (10 foot maximum), it just looks like fun could be had.

Anyway, from here the wind had won and I headed back to the highway and on to Dubbo where a few spots started to hit the visor, nothing to heavy and certainly nothing that could be called rain (unfortunately as it is needed)
    leighwgold, pops, felixblack1 and 7 others like this.
  2. stretch49

stretch49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another good ride and report Gaz!
    Ah Whylandra crossing that brings back memories from 30 no 40 years ago when i first moved to Dubbo and would go to Whylandra for a bit of skinny dipping and other stuff!! with the local girls. A very popular spot at night in the summer!!!
    gco0307 likes this.
  3. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff!