Ducati Desert Sled Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Mar 19, 2017.

1. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To those of you that ride off road a lot, where do you ride and what tires are you using. I have 5k mi on mine (original scorpion STRs) and looking to replace them with something for off road worthy. I would like to ride the NM BDR this year and guidance would be appreciated. So far looking at scorpion non STRs, Motoz Desert H/T, and Motoz Adventure. Any other suggestions?
  2. NA2SA

NA2SA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised this thread was started 3 years ago and there are only 6 pages about this bike....
    I'm looking at a 2018 model and waiting for my local dealer to receive the 2020 so I can compare them....the mechanical clutch is my only concern really as I have a little bit of arthritis in my hands, if it's hard to pull, the hydraulic clutch will be better for me. Anyway, looking forward to participating in this thread!
  3. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 18 and I have no problem with the clutch. I think it’s an easier pill than my Honda Vfr w hydraulic clutch. Why not go down to dealer and try it? Prob get 2k off!
  4. NA2SA

NA2SA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll test ride the 2018 this week, but they don't have any 2020 yet to compare it against. I'm sure it's fine....It's just that my 2005 ZX10R was killing my arm with the clutch, it's one of the reasons I started to ride less and less...among other things.
    Since you own one, any other tips or comments about this fine machine?
    Thank you!
  5. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s really a fun bike. Day after I bought it I took it to a dirt moto track. I had an absolute blast. It is kinda heavy for off roading, it’s not a ktm500. It’s On road manners are very good. The one thing I would do is down load the owners manual and read it so you are very familiar with the bike for your ride.
  6. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on replacing the stock tires with Shinko 804/805 tires, in narrower sizes. I plan to go 110/80 front and 150/70 rear. I think they will be a good option for more aggressive off-road but still work pretty well on-road. They have a lot of good feedback from those I know who've run them on other "big bikes", and most online reviews show very positive. Plus, they don't break the bank.

Other options you didn't mention are;

Kenda Big Block
    Anakee Wilds
    Golden Tyre GT723
    Maybe Shinko 705 for a bit more street, but that's going the wrong way for a BDR.
    motoman12 likes this.
  7. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Is it a slipper clutch on the DS? If so, it should have a lighter pull than one that is not.
  8. gk ryder

gk ryder is this thing on?

Oddometer:
    Massive new appreciation for this machine.
    Just did 4 days in Thailand all sorts of roads. Quite a brisk pace on sealed and obviously slower on dirt but did it all so well.

I think you will be fine even with cable clutch, very light.
    I know the ZX10R well and that is both heavier and more accentuated due to pressure already with clip ons - with the DS no such compromise to start with.

You'll love it.

videotogif_2020.03.06_15.11.30.gif
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the cable clutch and have felt the newer hydraulic clutch, the pull force is very similar but the hydraulic feels a little smoother. That being said, it's rumored the newer bikes have a better clutch in terms of how it actually works, ie smoother. But that's about the only difference between the older & newer bikes other than color changes.
    Jktrail likes this.
  10. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the DS uses a slip n grip clutch. I've taken mine part, here's a few pix for reference.

It's the same clutch as used in the Monster 821.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JustKip, VuTron and WDG like this.
  11. Gonzago

Gonzago Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer: