Ducati GT 1000. Yum.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw one of these little beauty's in the local Ducati dealers. Two tone silver. Very handsome.
    Anyone got one?
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    No, but I do love the look of them, and believe that they are one of the best all-round street bikes out there.
  3. EricT

EricT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of my riding buddies has the Paul Smart. It's a beautiful bike with a fairly agressive riding position, and seems to do very well on twisty pavement. He hasn't offered to let me ride it yet :cry
  4. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    Sat on one. Looks awesome, wouldn't want it as an "only" ride
  5. El Guero

El Guero V4 Whore

Oddometer:
    I rode one once on a short demo ride. I liked it... It had that standard/vintage riding position, and felt kind of like an old bike reborn. If I was going to get a bike in the 'Neo-vintage class' (Bonneville, Harley Sportster, Guzzi Classic, etc etc) I would get the GT1000. It looks great, rides great, and it wheelies pretty easy :D :lol3

Seriously, it is a very attractive bike to me. I love old bikes, but the handling is usually frightening, the power disappointing, and the reliability atrocious (due to age if nothing else). The GT1000 addresses all of these things.
  6. Strog

Strog Geek on two wheels

Oddometer:
    My brother-in-law cafe'd his GT1000. He wanted a 2-up bike and bought it right before they announced the biposto Sports.

He originally had some buyer's remorse with how it drove. Then he dropped a tooth on the front sprocket, synced the throttle bodies and had the Termignoni exhaust installed and it's been all smiles since. :D I got a chance to drive it last summer when I took the family out to visit. I love that motor and I think it looks (and sounds) great. :evil

Dropped the rear fender, low MX bars, bar end mirrors, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. turnenem

turnenem TBD

Oddometer:
    Drool..........:tb
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa Palanquins RTW

Oddometer:
    About the only Ducati I'd consider (but I'd still have a Griso instead :deal )
  9. Tifighter

Tifighter thread killer

Oddometer:
    Boy does that give me impure thoughts...:wink:
  10. apessino

apessino Long timer

Oddometer:
    How can a naked bike be so tasty? :D Really gorgeous...
  11. blammo

blammo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they look pretty sweet w/ a 70's style fairing on there. Someday.

[​IMG]
  12. dillon

dillon Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer:
    An old riding buddy of mine had one with the fairing and a seat cowl. Those are sexy machines...
  13. Duck_Pilot

Duck_Pilot Retired Roadracer

Oddometer:
    Take a look at my thread here. Plenty of pics of my cream/black '07.....AKA 'Lil Miss Duckie. 9069 miles so far, and the honeymoon is still HOT! :clap

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316926

There are other, older threads here on ADV......."Ducati GT1000 - WOW" is one of them.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  14. High_Side

High_Side Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got one and shouldn't say to much until I sell it, but it is a pretty disappointing ride. The suspension is as bad as any Japanese budget bike, and the fueling just plain sucks. It's a good looking bike, but my S2R Monster is twice the bike that the GT is. Seriously, if the GT was my only experience with a Ducati I would never consider buying one again. Luckily the Monster is such a great bike.
  15. goodcat8

goodcat8 I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer:
    Ironically I owned a monster a few years back and swore I'd never own another ducati again :puke1
    I test rode an 07 gt1000 at the local duc dealer and couldnt be more smitten. :eek1

If we all liked the same bikes though then the roads would be a very un-interesting place for eye candy :lol3
  16. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:

Sounds like you had a bad one. Did you have the throttle bodies synched?

I'd consider a used one. Have the suspension worked over. It really is my idea of an Italian hot bike in this format:

[​IMG]
  17. rider929

rider929 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw one of these at a local dealer used. I really like the way they look.
  18. kz1000ken

kz1000ken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is it that this model is not currently offered in red? I mean.. really..

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  19. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick

Oddometer:
    I demo'd one during a Ducati Open House last summer, First, I absolutely love the looks and really wanted to love this bike as I am missing a naked roadster in my garage (that spot was recently filled by a Sym 125 Fiddle scooter, don't ask! LOL).

Well after the test ride I was underwhelmed. Especially with the suspension, usally a Ducati strong point. The bike bounced all over the road. Felt like the cheapest shocks available were used. The engine OTOH, was marvelous. It still had the stock exhaust so it did not sound that great but I remember the motor performing well with out hickcups and FI issues, something I could not say about the HyperMotard I demo'd the same day.

If I were to buy one, I would look for a lightly used example at a fire sale price and then spen a grand or two to get the suspenders straightened out.

Still love the looks of them!

Rick G
  20. spezjag

spezjag Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem is not with the suspension, but with the (VERY) heavy wheels they used on this bike (steel rims).

The first thing any GT 1000 owner should do is decide whether he wants to swap out the wheels - that alone will significantly improve the suspension and handling of the bike. If you want cast wheels, you can pretty much swap in the three or five spoke Marchesinis that come on dual-sided swing arm Monsters. This is also the cheapest option, by far, since these wheels are regularly available on some of the boards or eBay.

If you are wedded to the spoked wheels, the lightest you will find at the Alpinas, which have the added advantage of allowing you to run tubeless tires for an additional weight savings right where it matters most - on the outside of the wheel.

If you really want to shave some weight, look at the BSTs which save something along the line of nearly 20 lb.s per wheel in spinning unsprung weight.

Once you have the new wheels installed, then you can look into suspension upgrades - since then a suspension tuner can better set up the stock forks and shocks for optimum handling.