Ducati Hyperstrada - Suspension Comparison

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by RL Lemke, Jun 12, 2017.

1. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    California backroad exploration with the OE suspension, then this year with Mupo. Mupo with even worse roads.

The OE Hyperstrada and Hypermotard suspension is fine on smooth roads. BUT when the surface becomes potholed and broken the OE suspension becomes abusive to the rider and hard on the bike. Especially with the low seat and short suspension travel Strada.

I completed 2,100 miles of backroad travel on the California/Oregon coast and coastal mountains to determine how the Mupo double fork cartridge and shock compared to the OE components. The difference is stunning. Well, for $2,600 installed it had better be.

The forks now absorb whatever is thrown at the 17" front wheel. Compliant yet absorbing the hard hits all the way to full compression.

The rear shock keeps the rear tire connected to the surface making for at least 4X rear tire tread life. Seated on the front of the seat, like a supermoto, the rear shock absorbs all the jarring hits well. Seated on the rear of the unpadded race seat the hard hits are still jarring. (Rebuilt seat ordered.)

Many spend a lot of money on exhaust, or other engine stuff. I find my money much better spent on suspension improvements.

[​IMG]

These kind of roads:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where the isolating suspension design on the giant BMWs mask the bad road imperfections, the Mupo suspension keeps me well informed, but comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mattole Road did push having a 17" front wheel to the limit though. Maintaining speed with all potholes is challenging.

[​IMG]

Other backroads were so bad that I had to just laugh. The Mupo did keep both tires well connected to the broken surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tiki01, bobw and flyinturbo like this.
  2. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]