Ducati Interchangeability......

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by dewjantim, Nov 25, 2011.

1. dewjantim

dewjantim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an interchangeability list of parts that are shared between different models of Ducatis ? I am currently building a 900 Supersport w/ 96' frame and 99 900ie engine and need a few items to complete it. I need info on things like generic replacement electrical parts and need to find parts from different years that will interchange on my 99' engine. Any help would be appreciated.....
  2. patiodadio

patiodadio Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    How 'bout posting some pics of the rebuild ? That's going to be a pretty special bike when you get it complete.

3. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    Bob_M likes this.
  4. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of carbed 900s. Never had an ie model, but if I had to guess, the engine management probably handles the ignition rather than two small ICUs that mount on the back of the airbox on carbed models.

Intake manifolds will differ

Almost all parts in the engine itself are interchangeable with two exceptions. 92-93 900s used a different alternator rotor with only six splines on the crankshaft instead of the 13 or 15 splines (can't remember). Becasue of the this the 92-93 models had different alternator covers to accomodate the extra 10mm length on the crankshaft "snout".

I happen to have a 92-93 crank rebuilt with fresh rod bearings and new rod bolts due to not knowing this tidbit when buying a donor engine when replacing the crankin my 95 M900. Doh!

Of lesser significance some of the different years had cam belt pulleys with the thin stamped steel lip on both edges of the pulley. Almost impossible to mount a new belt without damaging it. Later, the pulleys were fitted with the lip on just one edge to facilitate belt changes. The lips are placed on the different pulleys so that the belts track and stay in place. If you end up with the pulleys with extra lips, you can rip one off with good vice grips - just look at a bike proerly set up to know which ones can be removed. From memory(I don't trust it completely) the dual pulley has the single lip in the center of the two. The cam pulley at each head then has the single lip on the side closest to the head. That keeps the belts on track.

PM me with a list of specific parts you need. I have three tote tubs full of leftover bits that I kept "just in case..." I may even have a few unobtainium pieces hidden in the piles.
  5. dewjantim

dewjantim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little late, but bike is finished....... My SuperSport right side.jpg My SuperSport left side.jpg
    Scoozi, numbat, dpforth and 1 other person like this.
  6. corsair4360

corsair4360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why the green on one side, white on the other?
    MotoChuck250 likes this.
  7. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    Very COOL.......
  8. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Italian flag maybe?
    numbat likes this.
  9. Ned 063

Ned 063 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From memory the engine mounting bolts are bigger dia on injected bikes.
  10. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer:
    That is a really good looking build!

I miss my 95 M900. During the three years it was my track mule during my tenure with Sportbike Track Time it saw roughly equal miles on the street and the track.

Wish I had it back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wmfleet2 likes this.
  11. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got dang, that's a gorgeous faring. It looks like the stock CR fairing but the front looks more round?