Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. SebasSF

SebasSF Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2016 Ducati Enduro with all the good stuff for sale in New Mexico.
    3300 miles
    I have the standard and comfort seat and the original take off tires with 100 miles.
    Asking $12k
    IMG_0132.jpg
    TheWheelADV and black 8 like this.
  3. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW, how much are people loosing on these deals. Guess I'll be keeping my Enduro for a long time! Amazing deal on a great bike there for someone.
  4. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sucks! I love this bike, but I can no longer lift it if it falls over. I just did the NMBDR on it and it was great, a little heavy but still a blast! I had to get a lighter KTM 690 Enduro, so I can ride alone if I want too.
  5. Revolve

Revolve Useless

Oddometer:
    20190621_143402.jpg

Put in nearly 1000 miles in the last two weekends. I really love this motorcycle.
    Vegas800XC likes this.
  6. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    GLWS... I saw your post on "Bike Pictures, Packed, and Ready for Adventure!"
  7. flyG200

flyG200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet deal!
    What can you say about your highway peg set up?
    I have been wanting to try a set and am curious how yours worked out?
    Thanks

8. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are only ok, they don’t stick out enough for really good comfort.
  9. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Some observations after about 6 months of owning the Enduro beast:
    Changed from the Pirelli Scorp (2’s, i think...), to the Shinko 705’s. Have run several sets of 705’s on bikes in the past and overall i’m a fan, but the changeout from pirelli to the 705’s on this bike was a bigger deal, and my jury is still out. Turn-in and transitioning is much easier/faster with the 705’s, and then of course i have a good bit more rubber between the road/rocks and me to help with flat prevention off road, which is main reason in went with the 705. Don’t really need the full knobby for traction, as i don’t use this bike that way, but do a lot of gravel, including rough forest service roads, and wanted more rubber to help avoid flats. BUT, the cause of the quicker turn-in and transition is the profile of the tire, more rounded, so i find that it sort of wants to “fall” into the turn more than the pirelli’s. Not sure if i’ll Get used to that enough to like it... time will tell. And, the early scuff-in period for the 705’s, which i don’t recall being an issue in the past, was sort of spooky this time. Can’t tell what’s what, between TCS, scuff-in, my imagination, etc., but my well worn pirelli’s allowed me great confidence in max lean angles, whereas these 705’s haven’t been that comfortable for me yet.

Also, went up into the hills with a buddy a little while back, and had first exposure on this beast to some baby heads, ruts, and other mildly challenging conditions. Bike handled it all fine, but as expected its a handful. As one writer put it, this bike will handle stuff, but requires more effort and skill than the same conditions if on a real dirt bike. Touché. That said, the ride cemented my love for the bike, as it did handle the 10-15 miles of mildly technical riding just fine, which is all I want it to do, then it was an absolute hoot on the mountain road tarmac that came before and after that.
    Cemented by personal belief that in the hair-splitting ADV category, my KTM 990 is the right machine if you know you’ll be seeing a lot more baby heads, ruts, water crossings, etc., while doing a fine job on the tarmac, whereas the Duc Enduro is clearly the king of the tarmac (over the KTM, etc), with just enough off-road chops to keep it in the “good enough” category for when getting slightly technical, and of course a no brainer for regular gravel roads.

I had previously not thought highly of the Enduro mode, having only used it once or twice for a short bit, and wasn’t really diggin it, but on this last go i switched to it and the change in the throttle response really was the ticket. I’m now a big fan. Presumably i got a benefit from the suspension setting also, but it was the gentler throttle response that allowed me to relax my death grip on the throttle finally.

I installed the Puig tall/touring screen with the spacers (the ones that ship from the UK.... forgot the brand, but i’ll Edit that back in here when i dig up the brand, to give proper credit where its due), and i think i’ve Found the sweet spot for me. Using the Puig deflector like i had been also worked nice, probably just a smidge better (i’m 6’3”, long torso), but when going off tarmac i had to sit bolt upright and creep forward to not have to look through the screen at a point closer to me than when riding on tarmac. The spacers allow me to take off the clip-on PUig extender screen, get about the same highway benefit with the screen all the way up, but i can then easily drop the screen all the way down for a good closer-in view of the road when i’m Off pavement.

Going to mount up the rear top box soon... hopefully in next week or two. Some of you have messaged me about that, so i’ll Post about it once i’m Done. Might not happen till fall, but hoping to find time to do it sooner. I have the Paloma side cases, and so far they are more than great, but the PO mounted them poorly, so i’ll Be remounting those with the coyote ADV mounting system (thumbs up to our guy here in Forest Grove, OR, owner/operator of the coyote site.... nice stuff thats priced reasonably). I bought the top box separately and will mount it up soon, so i can use it to accommodate a helmet, or pull it off and put the smaller moose racing box on there for daily use, or have nothing up there.

Sprung for the Motech top adaptor plate. It was marked down from the ridiculous approx $300 price point down to a somewhat less ridiculous approx $200 price on one of the websites, so i gave in and bought it. We’ll see how that works. Looks narrow enough to work fine with the Paloma side cases and the SW Motech side mount brackets (with the coyote mounts).

Man, thats a long post. I’ve done my part, and will leave you alone for a while...
  10. ducdriver

ducdriver n00b

Oddometer:
    Changed last week to the Puig Racing screen with the Puig deflector (round bottom) and it's the best setup so far for me (tried the standard screen, sawed of standard screen, with and without mra deflectors, larger screen, Touratech screen, all with and without spacers, also the Puig without spacers is better). I like to drive with my visor open and sun visor down, going <=90km/h quite OK with the screen down and the deflector all the way down backwards. If I want to do some 'high' speed traveling it's still quite good with speeds up to 150km/h with the screen all the way up and the deflector all the way up, I have to tilt my head a little bit forward though and of course close the visor. I can still peak over the screen and don't have to look through it (I hate to have to look through the screen). I always use earplugs (with filter).

I've done about 5k km on the Bridgestone A41's now, I like them a lot better than the Dunlop Roadsmart (bought the Duc with the Dunlops), haven't been doing any gravel or offroad though. I think I can easily get another 5k out of the A41's.
  11. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Do you have a pic of that windscreen setup that you like? And how tall are you?
    I ride mainly with sun visor down but clear face shield up, and am diggin the tall puig with the spacers.
  12. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are my topbox options for the Ducati Touratech plate....only Ducati/Touratech top box? Or will pretty much any topbox fit....I like the Givi Trekker Dolomiti 46.

I purchased Bomb_Dude's ride....very excited!!!!
    Bomb_Dude likes this.
  13. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Can’t say for sure yet on top box options, but don’t see why any top box system wouldn’t mount up to that plate.
    Most systems, like givi, etc, have a universal mounting plate either included or available, that’ll mount up to most plates or bars.

I’ll know a bit more soon once I get around to installing my top plate (sounds like I have same one you do... I think it’s the touratech, or maybe sw motech?), and the top box and universal mount I have sitting on shop bench.
  14. ducdriver

ducdriver n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm about 182cm tall. There is still a bit of wind blast but it's fine for me like this. If I put the deflector up with the screen down I get quite a lot of buffeting.

Attached Files:

15. Woland

Woland Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for some sage advise.

Contemplating going for a 2016 Enduro since I´m starting to get a little bored with my current tractor, a 2010 GSA.

The bike I´m currently looking at has done some 30k km's. Fully serviced at a reputable dealer, seems to be in good shape, price is reasonable at slightly under half what they go for new here.

Anything I should look at specifically or any other good advise you can give me is most welcome.
  16. charliescaper

charliescaper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe the Enduro hasn't been a great seller for Ducati, so haggle hard. I'm in the UK and used ones in dealers don't seem to shift easily. You can probably find one with lower mileage, and with plenty of accessories if you're able to shop around. Make sure you take into account any pending servicing, such as the desmo service, due at about 18000 miles IIRC. It's a biggie...
  17. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I just finished up a 10,262 mile trip (Alaska, Prudhoe Bay, etc.) on my Enduro. It had zero issues the entire trip. Mine is a 2016 and I have owned it for 3 years. It's been great.
    Bad Dad, flyinturbo and shrineclown like this.
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Testament to my Multistrada Enduro

When I informed some of my riding buddies that I would be taking my 2016 Multistrada 1200 Enduro on a 10,000 mile journey to and across Alaska, including the Top of the World Highway and the Dalton Highway, most expressed a great deal of interest. Others conveyed a measure of skepticism; namely that I would undertake such an endeavor on a "fragile Italian bike" (I am paraphrasing here.)

I started off on tires that were not new; but had made arrangements with a dealership in Alaska to have new tires put on roughly halfway through my journey, as well as perform regular scheduled maintenance. The bike itself was three years old, and out of warranty, with plenty of miles on it already. I chose this bike for the trip over the others I have because of its cruise control, large fuel capacity, and the luggage set that offers an ample amount of secure storage. Drawbacks were, of course, its size and weight, particularly when concerned with off pavement use, of which there would be plenty.

During the trip, the bike performed flawlessly. Never once did it have a single failure of any type, either mechanical or from any of the multiple electronic systems. Despite some very harsh conditions and surfaces, including some very HARD knocks -- probably due to the heavy load on the rear of the bike -- this machine continued to excel. The spoked wheels proved to be very tough; in situations where I thought I might have bent or damaged a wheel, it turned out that not even a single spoke was out of tension. In a word, I was quite impressed with the ruggedness and durability of the Enduro. I'm also a bit in awe of how well it held its traction on wet, muddy, slimy surfaces, even though I was using 90/10 street oriented tires during the entire trip.

Having returned, I find that I need yet another set of tires, and will also be replacing the final drive (chain and sprockets are worn, as was expected with the mileage that I've accumulated) and performing an oil change. The bike should be ready for the next trip in short order, and I won't hesitate to select it to take, any place, any time.

Thanks much, Ducati, for a great bike!

IMG_20190702_094113.jpg IMG_20190707_081122.jpg IMG_20190711_093708.jpg IMG_20190712_172410.jpg
    Bad Dad and slipknot like this.
  19. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Very nice yossarian!
    That’s a great trip for this bike. Plenty of rough rode, but presumably not any real single track (at least that’s what I do on a big bike, especially in Alaska).
    The big tank is more of a game changer than I expected, and I expected a lot. Really makes things easier. I have my old ktm 990 up there in ak, and even with the rotweiler aux tank it still won’t go near the distance the enduro will. I’ve been getting 40+ mpg easily each tank, often closer to 44, and with that ~8 gal tank, it’s sweet.
    Not that I want to sit on it for 300 miles straight through every time, but takes a lot of the fuel planning challenges out of the equation, or to a smaller level of concern.
    drdfblackm likes this.
  20. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190527_144320_1559056331344_resized.jpg Cool write up, just about to turn 10K miles on my 2016. So far all good. Must admit this is a really fun all-rounder of a bike.
    20190527_144320_1559056331344_resized.jpg
    drdfblackm likes this.