Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. GMM

GMM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for a heavier spring for the shock without much luck. Has anyone upgraded their shock spring? If so, would you care to give some details on the vendor, spring rate and other specs? I'm finding that the stock spring is much too weak for my needs.
  2. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. flyinturbo

flyinturbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Y'all hit the mark spot on with this machine. My buddy and I both have an Enduro and we both love them. We got them a few months apart and purchased from the same dealership in Portland, Or yet we both live in Phoenix AZ. All that means is that when we purchased them, we had a reason for a road trip!

When I purchased mine, I gave my buddy my '12 MTS 12000S to ride to Portland and I'd meet him there to ride back. We loosely planned our return journey along the 1 and 101, camping and enjoying the twists. During the ride, he rode my new bike and had to have one, so we made the same plan... he bought his in Oregon, rode my bike up and I met him in Portland. We did our second ride down the coast, camping and enjoying the ride!

Since then, we've taken them places I would have never thought a big bike could go. One rock garden in particular was super bad. First gear, trials style riding and the bike handled it so well, I was amazed! I've since been back on that rock garden road on my dirt bike and still am amazed that we had big bikes on that trail. Conversely, it's easy to knock down miles on pavement. We've done an 1100 mile day... while we were both tired, we both could have kept riding. The Enduro truly is a swiss army knife of the bike world. Where it really shines is for the aggressive road rider that wants to camp and do a bit of off roading. It'll jump speed bumps in a parking lot and cattle crossing equally as well. It'll support 2 up for date night or date trip and has the room in the paniers for both people. It has enough power to embarrass most bikes. It has handling that allows you to carve corners along with much 'sportier' bikes, surprising them at the end of the canyon. Yet it still returns 45ish mpg and casual road manners that allow you to arrive at a classy restaurant or a backwood camp site in equal amounts of 'yes, I belong right here'. We're both crazy happy with the performance, comfort and reliability of our hot italian GFs.
    Folgore and Bad Dad like this.
  4. pooneej

pooneej Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would anyone with panniers be able to tell me what the width is between the inside edges of the panniers? Basically what I'm trying to find out is, would a top case interfere with opening the panniers.
    I just put a deposit on a 2018 new MTS 1200 enduro pro today so I'm looking for top case options :) thanks
  5. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    I or someone will get you the measurement u asked for, but just a shot/reply here during lunch: I have the SW Motech (or whoever makes it) top plate that allows u to adapt for any aftermarket top case is quite wide, and there was someone who said it impinged the side cases opening. Mine does not.
    In other words, that wide top plate, wider than most top cases, doesn’t effect my side cases opening. I guess maybe a wide givi case could be an issue, maybe. Will have to do the measure for that.
    Update: just walked out to bike and did the rough measure.... looks like over 18” bewaeen inner edges of side cases. But I’ve got SW Motech racks, and aftermarket cases (I like the narrower, cheaper cases I have over the factory cases, which are too spendy for me to want to risk damaging). IMG_4180.JPG
  6. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Apparently I can’t edit my own post when I change devices (user error I assume)....
    But in that pic of the rear cases it looks like the side case lids won’t clear that top rack/plate, but they do with room to spare. If that helps.
  7. pooneej

pooneej Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picture is good - thank you :) !
  8. GMM

GMM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have the factory panniers, the lids do not clear the SW Motech rack shown above. You have to remove the lid completely to access the cases as opposed to swinging the lid up to open. The factory topcase mount will allow you to open the panniers without removing the lid.
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  9. pooneej

pooneej Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got a 2018 Multi enduro pro one week ago that I am really loving so far. The power compared to my 2005 GS is just wow. And I'm still in the break in period so havent tached up past 6k just yet !

Anyway, I plan on changing the horn, adding a heat-troller and a Garmin GPS mount. Ideally it would be best to add an external fuse block like a Centech AP-2 like I had on my GS but I had a lot more accessories on that. Think it's ok to just put these 3 items straight to battery (all fused of course)
    ?
    thanks
  10. ducdriver

ducdriver n00b

Oddometer:
    I connected my GPS (TomTom) to the already prepared cable with connector that was on the left under the plastic cover at the steering wheel. Not sure how many amps you can get on that but I the cable has its own fuse. I think the cable is on every Enduro.
  11. pooneej

pooneej Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THanks =- I'll have to take some bodywork off next weekend or whenever I have all the accessories and look for that one. Would you or anyone else be able to tell me what this plug is for:? It's 4 pin so I'm guessing nothing power I could use. Diagnostics maybe?

I took seat off looking around for possible mounting locations for an aux fuse block but it's really tight under driver seat. Passenger seat has that storage area but I'd worry water might collect in there if I got stuck in a downpour

Attached Files:

12. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    A few quick thoughts regarding your questions:
    As noted, there is the cable up front already from the factory, and I believe it’s on all of the models, but definitely don’t know that for sure. I’m not using it, but mine was pointed out to me by the local duc shop when I was there for a service bulletin thing.

Running straight off battery should be fine, with a fused line. I prefer that for some things.

Under the seat though there is room, if you’re crafty. The fellow I bought my bike from did some (very odd) things with that, including putting a large power distribution block, just forward of the divider between the rider and passenger seat. I was going to rip it out because it seemed to crowded in there, but I realized it actually fit in there about right. I can send a pic if u like, but the gist of is that it’s long width wise, and extends down a ways, and requires some smart/crafty of cable Routing, but works fine.

My ktm has a Zumo with a locking mount, which is great for situational awareness.... I like it. But for really working with routes or for turn by turn guidance I far prefer the simplicity of a smart phone (currently using iPhone, but also have an Android), for creating routes, changing them, sharing and importing, etc. Just way simpler and higher resolution for my brain. But that’s a whole different thread.
  13. pooneej

pooneej Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thank you - I started digging around online for the GPS power up front as well as fuse blocks (I had no idea there were so many - fuzeblock, centech, rowe pdm60, innov, denali, etc etc etc).
    https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-mul...adar-gps-transponder-mount-4.html#post5109386
    https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-mul...15-2016-multistrada-multistrada-enduro-4.html

Until I figure out which PDU to go with (most likely cheapest one which is centech AP-2), I'm just going to wire up my heat-troller direct to battery today so I can get my heated vest going. It's starting to get chilly in the morning for my rides to work here in Southern NJ.
  14. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    AP-2 should fit fine, though I haven’t actually tried. But straight battery run is simple and works well.
  15. flyinturbo

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Just turned over 19,000 miles after a 4200 mile trip through the west coast national parks (epic trip!). Chain is toast... Who's changed their chain and sprockets out? Dealership wants $500 for the factory setup. I'd like to pay less. Recommendations?
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Just changed mine, complete set. Got them from SprocketCenter.com for half what you got quoted, did the work myself. DID ZVM-X chain. All's well.

BTW, I had 25,000 miles on my factory set before I changed them out. It was needed.
  17. flyinturbo

Oddometer:

I looked on there and told the dealer about them.. they're going to purchase and put it on for me. I'd like to do the work myself but my schedule just doesn't allow it... bummer for me.

I had the same dealer 'service' my chain before this ride. I didn't bother to check it before I left. Rode from Phoenix to LA and by the time I hit Palm Springs, my chain was really angry at me. They didn't lube it! So, I spent the next 9 days lubing at every fuel stop just to get it to live. The dealer is bending over pretty far to make me happy because of their screw up. However, I should have checked it before leaving.
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    If going with stock gearing, make sure that the chain ordered is 114 links. They sent me a 116 which I had to cut.
  19. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gmc28- what side cases are those? Can you provide details on racks and side cases?

Thanks
    Ishai
  20. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    those are the Pazoma cases, on SW Motech racks for the sides, and the SW Motech top plate adaptor. coyotetrip.com side case mounts (yet to be installed, but invisible, and will look the same)

i've been asked a number of times about the Pazoma's, and i'll say that i've become a fan.
    Since you're all here for the Enduro chatter, i'll include the short story as to why i like them. Wise folks will say "ya, duh", but thicker headed ones like me may find it of interest:
    While shopping for an Enduro to "upgrade" from my 2010 Multi (which i loved dearly), I came across a sweet Enduro in my local town. Being off-season, i found it to not meet the aggressive pricing point that i wanted, but i told a friend of mine about it and he bought it. Good deal, as it had all the bells and whistles, including the nice factory Duc cargo cases.
    Soon after I ended up buying a different, low miles enduro with fewer extras, but it had the pazoma side cases. PO hacked them up pretty good (too many mounting holes... presumably from "oops, won't fit like that, better re-drill"), but overall in good shape. I left LA with it, where lane splitting is legal, immediately hit stop and go traffic 5 lanes wide, and recognized the benefit of the skinny but tall cases.... not near the butt clenching when negotiating tight spaces. Nice.
    Then I went about looking for a matching top case. Couldn't find much info on Pazoma, but was seeing lots of nice top cases out there from recognized brands, but painfully spendy. I learned that the Duc factory cases are the most painfully expensive. And i learned that the Pazoma top case, and the side cases had i needed to replace them, were CHEAP. Usually you get what you pay for, but these cases are way nicer than their price would indicate, arguably nicer than other cases i've had that were twice the price (or more).
    Hmm, work well, look decent, cheap, and thanks to the low price i could replace them if needed (dropping the bike, etc). So, in short, a winner in my book.

I took the plus-sized Enduro-lady we all love so much off road for really the first time in some semi-technical riding (not serious single track, but more than just gravel), and while she handled like i figured, i couldn't help but think of how it would have gone had my buddy who bought the real nice Enduro come along.... he'd likely have been paralyzed thinking about what it would cost to fix/replace the side cases if he dropped the bike on some of the nastier baby-head stuff we were riding through. I had the "mental freedom" to think hey, if i drop the bike, i can afford to replace those cases, and it was liberating.

So thats my fan story.

The down sides to the pazomas in my opinion are:
    1) the mounting hardware for the pazomas is pretty much junk. Usable, but not up to snuff with what you'd want on a bike this nice. mostly just some bolts, and not a well designed, easy-on/easy-off setup. So i went looking for the happy-trails mount system that i've used in the past, and discovered to my happy surprise that coyotetrips.com is based here in my home state, just about 15 mins from where i work, and he makes a bunch of cool stuff, including the case mounting hardware. German guy with an older Africa twin all dialed in and well used from his significant travels. bought a set of mounts from him that i'll use this winter when i remove the goofy stove bolts the PO used to attach my side cases, patch up the extra holes with epoxy, and get those cases set on there properly and with the ability to more easily remove them. For the top case i used the pazoma provided hardware for mounting, which is also crappy, and i'll figure some way to improve that.
    2) Also, with the SW Motech racks, the side case just barely clears the exhaust on the right side. Factory cases, and custom made ones, have the cutout for the exhaust. So with the flat profile stock exhaust, i've got a little heat shield on there, and its fine, but i'm not psyched about it. Will look at ways to space the case out a little to give another 1/4" or so of clearance. Also will need to see how it interfaces with my new exhaust sitting in the shop. might not work.