Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. seahouse34

seahouse34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The (edit rear) preload is electronic in the 1260. Adjust it from the load settings in each riding mode
  2. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both the 1200 and the 1260 Enduro’s have rear electronic preload and manual fork preload. Top of right fork on the 1260 has the nut for the adjustment the last time I looked.
  3. Mamay

Mamay n00b

Oddometer:
    it is still there :) top of right fork leg
  4. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    Yes, and the manual talks about to turns.... to be fully open and that’s it. So which way to turn? Clockwise or? And is that the only setting??
    Thanks for all of your awesome assistance fellow MSE riders:freaky
  5. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you wanted more preload on the front fork you would turn the adjuster clockwise to compress the fork spring. Less preload then turn it counter clockwise. With only 10 turns available the impact is not much.

The forks rebound and compression are handled by the left fork electronically which can be changed from the factory defaults to fine tune the settings.
    ptc05ADV likes this.
  6. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Millions of opinions on that, but as a former ‘03 oilhead owner that put just under 100k miles on it, my oilhead needed more mx than any of my later generations Ducati’s. Ymmv.

That said, the oilhead were produced in such huge numbers that support was huge (despite the long time it took to develop a decent ecu tune option). Ducati multi won’t have that level of support, as there haven’t been near the numbers produced, but support is good. And the ducs aren’t necessarily “small batch”, just are in comparison to the boxers.

Also a million opinions on the miles on the Desmo and what 40k means, but if it’s well maintained, and u can see the records, then Should be no sweat. Just look for that last valve adjustment. That valve adjustment isn’t near the albatross a lot of the non ducati rider world thinks it is, but it is a thing u need to account for. Either you budget the time and effort to do yourself (not rocket science, but we’ll beyond “oil and spark plug” type maintenance), or you budge the cash to have it done. But by 40k miles it’s most likely either all good to go for a very long time, or way overdue if it wasn’t done since before 20k miles.
  7. ptc05ADV

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for this clarification
  8. flyG200

flyG200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed a couple new farkles;
    Adventure Designs Premium Highways Pegs & Alt Rider Sidestand Foot.
    Will try and ride some this weekend, not sure of peg placement but will experiment.
    Happy trails

Attached Files:

9. mortarman

mortarman Hang it; Fire!

Oddometer:
    I just got a chance to read that write-up Baldy - thank you for it. Very nicely done. Hope the leg healed up without any lingering issues.

I've been looking for a MS 1260E-specific sub but haven't seen one. Could one be created? It seems there is enough activity, and the bike is distinct enough from the R/S/PP MS variant, to merit its own sub... The MS1260 Owners thread is nice, but if you're only interested in the E-mod there's far too much chaff to have to weed through. Also, the E-mod does have >200 parts distinct from the street versions. Just sayin'...

Full disclosure: this is a rather selfish request because I'm spending a lot of time trying to learn from real owners about their real-world experience with the bike as I try to decide whether or not I want to buy the 1260E, or a GS/GSA.
  10. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own both a 2015 GSA and a 2018 Multi Enduro Pro. If you have questions about both you can PM me so we do not clutter this thread.
  11. stirlingedje

stirlingedje n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice 500km trip today, was finally able to let the beast out again 20200620_150124.jpg
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  12. speedkelly

speedkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ducati Enduro vs BMW R1250gs. I recently just made the switch to a R1250gs from an Enduro 1200. Both are great bikes. Mine was unexpected as a 85 year old driver decided to kill my Enduro.

Here goes.

1/ Ducati, has great power, carves the corners awesome. Great quality, very smart electronics, meaning the way you can adjust and set up all the parameters in each mode and the suspension etc, and save them.
    Negatives, top heavy, weaker than expected brakes, heat from the Cat on hot days. Damn hard to get on the center-stand. Helps to have long legs. Eats rear tires, servicing costs!

2/ BMW, Great torque, good power. Very user friendly, feels lighter than the Ducati ( non -adventure version). Handles great in Dynamic mode, will do good wheelies. Shaft drive, Awesome TFT dash and connectivity, reasonable servicing cost. Easy to get on the center-stand. Much better low speed handling.
    Negatives, still down on power compared to other large ADV bikes, horse power not torque. Soft suspension in most modes. Very little scope to play around with riding modes. not as capable in high speed corners as the Ducati.

Just a brief opinion. They are both really well sorted motorcycles. Each one has its own charms. Can't go wrong with either bike really. Although for farkles the BMW has way more options for accessories. Screenshot_20200623-160735_Gallery.jpg
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
  14. kingspapabear

kingspapabear n00b

Oddometer:
    I bit, and brought home '16. A little of a learning curve, but fun learning. I hope to build skills this summer, any NH'ites or VT'ers with patches of dirt to play in?
    C330F likes this.
  15. ptc05ADV

Oddometer:
    Comments about MS Enduro versus a non GS ADV BMW are, in my very humble opinion an “apples versus oranges” comparison. Those extra litres on either of the enduro or the full-up GS ADV are weight that is well above Center of gravity. This extra weight sets up and equally challenging centre-stand Olympic event and some extra inertia when a chance of direction was/is desired.
    I am blessed this year with a 1260 MS S alongside my beloved 1200 Enduro. If you want insanely awesome corner carving, then jump on the 1260 S. IF you want the most capable long distance touring mount with great endurance then take the Enduro.
    And in Canada the servicing costs of the Ducati are less than the BMW GS series... and virtually no recalls!!!
  16. hamlar

hamlar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Seahouse! Congratulations with your by now relatively new bike! Looks sweet. How do you like the short windshield? I just picked up a 1200 Enduro this weekend and the original windshield had been modified with a cut out to reduce turbulence. Supposedly more comfy, but still way more noisy than my Hypermotard 1100, which has exactly zero wind protection... If you like it, I’d appreciate some advice on maker/model!

17. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've also owned both a 2015 GSA and a 2018 MSE. I could never get the ergos right on the GSA. I had two of them, 2009 and 2015. I tried everything, windscreens, Rox Risers, Flexx bars, high seats, low seats, lowered footpegs, and every iteration of each. The GSA is not comfortable... FOR ME. I bought the MSE because I was tired of chasing ergos on the GSA. I bought the MSE and rode it home 7hrs the day I bought it. The GSA went for sale immediately. I have never looked back and I haven't bought a thing to try and improve MSE ergos; I don't need'm! Finally a bike that fits! Luckily the bike fits because the amount of aftermarket for the MSE is minuscule compared to the GSA. There isn't really anything I feel like adding to the MSE. It checks all the boxes. Well, except for the tight seat to peg height on the MSE. It's short but tolerable.
    In terms of bike comparisons, the GSA has GOBS of torque down low. If you're a short shifter and don't like engines over 4500rpm, GSA. The MSE likes to cruise at the RPM the GSA signs off. Both are super stable in the corners but I like the MSE a bit better. The front feels better. The GSA front is kinda vague and it feels like it's taking you for a ride rather than the other way around. I like the GSA for pulling out of tight corners with low rpm but the MSE will handle the corners better and wheelie out of them! WEEEEEEEE!!!! It's true the GSA is easier to handle at low speed, parking lots, difficult off road situations, but how much time do you spend doing that? One more thing, the suspension... The MSE adjustments allow for much better tuning of the ride. The GSA was good at adjusting the preload on the back end for load weight changes but doesn't have the polish and fine tuning the MSE has. I offer these OPINIONS as my own and your results may vary.
  18. Tricky-UK

Tricky-UK Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    B46605E6-1CA5-4F79-8956-93564011FA4D.jpeg 5A8B8CE5-67FD-4E93-A05B-AF12242B1227.jpeg 755FB7D1-B293-4DB1-BB26-DB45F0FEA2E0.jpeg My MS Enduro in France last week. :beer
  19. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talk to me about the front hub. Kind of messy looking with spokes coming up through open holes.

Has anyone here done the Desmo service? I see a tool rental option.

Is the CAT and canister removal straight forward? Sounds like I need to see the dealer to fix the computer when doing either.
  20. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    What’s the question on the hub? Works good, lasts long time....
    Only thing I’ll say about it is that the usual Cycle Hill tool (the mounted wheel holding gizmo) doesn’t really work due to the lip on the outer rim for the spokes. Going to order the different wheel holder attachments which apparently address that (about $100 i think). In the meantime I’ve paid a local shop to dismount/mount tires. Cost/benefit question....

I’ve done Desmo services on my air cooled ducs, but not on the 8v water cooled motor like this one. Too much hassle for me.... too many valves, with too much stuff in the way. But if you have time, should be very doable.

I’m about to remove the CAT and play with a delkavic exhaust i have. Looks easier than on some machines, but haven’t done it yet.