Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. HeavyNfast

HeavyNfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ducati full Enduro Suit by Scott. convertible jacket-vest with storage pockets, badder pouch pocket and hose line routing, pants have multiple pockets and jacket are pants both weather resistiant. Ducati enduro knee guards and chest protector by UFO $650 for the set. All XL, pants 38 & highly adjustable. Just barely worn and all looks like new guranteed! Was over $1350 new. This is premium quality gear.
    20190822_164032.jpg 20190822_163614.jpg 20190822_163604.jpg 20191207_182118.jpg 20190822_164024.jpg
  2. HeavyNfast

HeavyNfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mutli handlebar risers by Touratech $50 plus shipping
  3. Oznavad

Oznavad n00b

Oddometer:
    Instead of reading threads for countless hours and lurking for a few years, I figure I might as well come out of the shadows. Hopefully, I can contribute something to the community here. A few months back when I took my 16 Multi S for a desmo service, the dealer told me he had a few crazy deals on Enduros, mostly demo/leftovers. So, instead of plunking down $2k for a service, I took a '17 with 500 miles for a a net of a couple of grand. So far, no big surprises except for a rare oil leak that was covered under warranty. The enduro is certainly heavier feeling and geared lower, but overall behavior is similar. The bike came with the enduro package (less the panniers) and had a set of Anakee Wilds. Since most of my riding is street, I took of the wilds for a set of Anakee adventures. The noise of the wilds and the horrible wet street performance was getting annoying.
    Going to move my Rapidbike Evo from my S to the E, primarily for the quickshifter (really miss that).
    Still working on some sorting, prepping for a ride that will finally get the enduro off the road. Looking for some handguards. Has anyone tried the EVOTech guards? They look to fit better and block indicator less, but look like they need to come from Italy and cost some dough.
  4. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    They certainly look better than the Barkbusters (which I have) but I'm going to wait until I get some real-world feedback on their level of protection before I think about switching. I know for a fact that BB will hold up to a fully-tour-loaded enduro being dropped on its side. DAMHIK.
  5. naustin09

naustin09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am picking a New '18 MTSE this Friday(it has never had a battery in it, according to the dealer, and it will have the full factory warranty). I got a pretty great price (I think). Very Excited! It's 5 hours away and I put a deposit on it sight unseen. I have two questions and I'd really appreciate some advice.

First: Tie Down Points. I'm planning to make the 5 hour (1-way) drive with my 4x8 aluminum trailer to pick it up. I have a Harbor Freight wheel chock on the trailer. I have Soft Loops and Ratchet Straps. Can anyone let me know if I can secure to lower triple trees and reach my corner anchors on the trailer without any issue? Is there a plastic guard on the bottom of the yoke that has to be removed? Any advice on both front and rear tie-down points is appreciated! It is a Touring Package, and they are adding the crash bars for me.

Second: I read this whole thread last night. Wondering if there is any update to the Airbox/Pre-Filter conversation. I just requestd to join the FB group, but am waiting for approval. Is there actually a "Euro-Spec" airbox cover? (I saw that mentioned). Is the RTV sealant being done from the factory now - and was that an official TSB? Anyone else build their own pre-filter - I only saw a couple pictures back on pages 71-74ish... I guess my big question is whether this problem is only likely to occur if the bike goes down in sand and snorts gravel like a coke whore, or if bikes ridden mainly on-road are also experiencing Airbox issues and resulting engine damage?
  6. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 18’ Multi Enduro Pro and have hauled it from Tex to NM on a trailer and there is room to use soft straps on the lower triple without removing the plastic guard. That is how I secure mine.

And I pulled my tank and checked the filter early after the first few rides and mine appeared to be stock with no RTV mods. I had some forest service road miles on the bike and my intake area was clean so no bypass that I could tell.
    naustin09 likes this.
  7. naustin09

naustin09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. :thumbup
  8. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    What Goss said, for tie downs. And a backup/secondary strapping for peace of mind (not as a primary strapping place) can be the engine guard, depending on which you have and how it’s mounted. Just means a couple more straps for the 5hr haul.

and I also have had no issues with stock air filter setup. I don’t use the bike as a “dirt bike”, but live on a gravel road, and regularly spend some time on forest service/logging roads and have no issues.
    naustin09 likes this.
  9. naustin09

naustin09 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm assuming the bags will have to come off to tie down the rear, and that the rear luggage rack is not strong enough. Passenger pegs look.... snappable. And rear grab handles are plastic I assume. If it was across town, I'd loop through the rear wheel or grab the luggage rack nearest to the mount and just go lightly on them, but I'd like to tie the rear down pretty securely given such a long drive. I'm hoping there will be an obvious spot to get a choker on something solid.
  10. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the side case rack where it mounts to the bike at the passenger peg area to attach a tie down. I always use a soft strap. The rear suspension will compress when cranking down on it so I don’t over do it. If you are going to be on the major highways then no reason to try and fully compress it. And I usually load my bikes on a trailer without side cases and install after if I don’t plan to store in my truck.
  11. naustin09

naustin09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know - I wasn't sure if the racks were strong enough, or if the straps would rub on the bags. I'll probably put the bags in the tow vehicle since I won't be hauling any other luggage, etc. I'll try to post some good pictures in this thread of the tie down points so the next guy won't have to ask all the same questions. Thanks again!
  12. naustin09

naustin09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    D34A6D3C-8E60-4649-B7EE-770E151E7C75.jpeg Ended up being very easy to tie down the Multistrada Enduro on the trailer. Made the 700 mile round trip, no problem. Brand new 2018, with just 6 miles on the clock from the tech who test ride the bike after setting it up this morning.

892C34BA-799A-4FD5-923B-D3C710668B5F.jpeg
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  13. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice!! You are going to love this bike, it is an incredible machine!!
  14. dr_rock

dr_rock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First post on this thread. Like others I have noticed some good deals to be had on 2016 new leftovers of the Enduro. There is one for sale locally for $15k and I believe it comes with bags. From what I have read this bike has been really reliable, but the main complaints from those who didn't purchase was the weight. My riding will be mostly sport riding and I admit I am looking to this bike because of the value right now.
    I just sold my 09 Multi which I know I will regret but I am trying to be a one bike person. My other bike is a 2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE which fits me well, but wish it had a bit more power and sporting ability.
  15. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller On the road to nowhere...

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling! My dealer has 2 new 2018 MSE’s at killer prices that are super tempting but after test riding an Enduro and an S Multi for “sporty” road only, I know I would quickly forget how much $$$ I saved and remember how much more fun the S was for my type of riding.
    dr_rock likes this.
  16. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    how do you like your trailer?
  17. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    The OP may chime in with his reply, but I have the slightly longer version of that Aluma trailer, and I’m liking it. Easy to wheel around solo, as it’s so light, but I can load the bike, or two dirt bikes, or even my sub-compact tractor onto it. Not sure I’d go real far with the tractor on the single axle, but it’s rated to carry the weight of the diesel subcompact, so it’s a handy option.
    Have 2 cycle gear wheel stands, which I bolt/wing-nut to a custom cut chunk of plywood to keep things all in their proper place. Throw the plywood with wheel stands on the trailer, drop the tail gate, load up, strap down, and go.
    naustin09 and cozmo2312 like this.
  18. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    No question the 17” front (etc) makes a difference for sporty riding. I had the 2010, and loved it, and changed to a ‘16 Enduro, and despite giving up that sport edge, I’m not going back.
    Just finished ride from Oregon to Tucson, and had some outstanding sport touring on the way, especially in northern CA, but also freeway slogs, and some unexpected 2-track dirt, and the enduro is in that rare class where it was great for doing all that.
    Gravel is all great for the enduro, but I’m not a big fan of “dirt” with the 600 lb machine. But a state route that I mapped out on google in northern Cal, south of Tule lake, ended up being single lane, 2-track dirt for a number of miles. Hmm. Oh well, just aired down a bit as the dirt in places was inches deep and silt-like, then carefully worked through those sections, then ripped through the rest of the hard pack dirt. Had two significant hits on front rim (rock, then a root, all hard to see due to the weird lighting filtering through the trees). I’d have been pretty uneasy about doing that stretch with a 17” aluminum cast wheel.

Then later same day came to some world class twisties, with no one around, the sun out, and made the most of those! Still grinnin’.

Anyway, as is commonly stated, the enduro doesn’t score top rank for off road or track, but is unique for how well it does at both.
  19. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller On the road to nowhere...

Oddometer:
    No argument from me. Like I said, I was seriously tempted by the Enduro - jumped on it and had the tires worn to the edges in the hour that I had it. It is that confidence inspiring and fun on road. Loved it!
    If I thought I’d ever need a 30 ltr tank or ride more than accidental dirt roads it would be downstairs right now.
  20. naustin09

naustin09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use it way more than I expected. I bought it new 3 years ago, and i felt like it was a steal for the money. I used to drive a pick-up, but I don’t need a truck anymore now that I have this. I can pull it with anything. Has grease fittings on the bearings too. I expect I’ll have it until they take my keys away and put me in a home!
    cozmo2312 likes this.