Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. Gotta match your “mission” to the bike and then the dollars, at least until we hit a Lotto....
    That tank size thing you mention, truly a key point. It’s a serious game changer, both as a plus for range planning, as well as all that weight you’re going to feel up there. Lots of talk about how the bike carries it well. Hmm. I suppose, but its just another factor in the bike feeling very much unlike a real off-road machine. So, i live with the bulk/weight of the machine in exchange for its other great features, which include that fantastic range. I can grind out 300+ miles on a tank with absolute ease, or more likely get off my ass every couple hours to squirt some gas in and stretch my legs. I do both regularly, and it’s liberating to just be able to remove any real concern about range, depending on what kind of riding you do. I far prefer to be off the beaten track (far from any interstate if i can), so fuel planning can be a hassle When u don’t know whether the next couple of “towns” on the map are just a boarded up post office and church and no gas stations, but not with the 8gal tank.

slipknot likes this.
  2. opiumcake

opiumcake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CC1D6785-8611-4E99-BE82-E4313D0B0789.jpeg Honestly, it has taken several years to warm up to it. Not until my 950 ADV retired, did I start to ride the Enduro as a daily driver. My advice:

1. Only fill the tank with 3 gallons if you plan on doing anything fancy. You can always fill it to the brim if you need the full range between stops

2. Smallest windscreen possible. Helmets like clean air.

3. Remove the mirrors...they cause as much turbulence as the high windscreen.

4. Raise seat height by an inch or more if you can manage. Upright seating position right up against the tank gives good control. My Corbin is an experiment in height...I don’t ever slide back into the palm of that curvy catcher mitt (for very long). I will eventually send it off to Renazco as a donor pan for a high, flat suede seat build. Higher seat height also makes moving into a standing position.
  3. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:

That’s a helluva seat! My butt is jealous. But seriously, For my skinny ass i just put an Alaska sheepskin pillion cover (happened to fit, and had it from a previous bike) on the factory gel seat when i ride long distances, and it becomes an all-day seat for me. And i go low.... my gel seat is the lower seat, and even though I’m tall, it provides for the option to back the bike up a bit, as with the stock or tall seat its damn hard to straddle the machine and back out of an awkward parking spot, etc. That’s obviously a “road” thing, not an off-road consideration so much.

I’ve got a 990ADV also, and love it, and use for when there will be more off-road on the itinerary. Nothing I’ve tried on the Enduro has allowed me to get comfortable with it in the “dirt”, although just “dirt roads” are more than fine. Carrying less fuel in the tank is a great idea, but not very practical for me, because if I’m going off-road near home I’m not using the Enduro, and if I’m on a long ride with some off-road then its a given that I’m going to be carrying gear/baggage and have range considerations for fuel, so its just a reality that the beast will be hopelessly heavy (mostly because its too heavy to begin with, and then the circumstances dictate even more weight).
    I do use much thinner, lower/deeper side cases, so weight is carried both lower and closer to the mid-line of the bike. I had a set of Pazoma (? Or some name like that... can’t quite remember) cases that i adapted to fit, and they have the side benefit of not being as wide/bulky for maneuvering in narrow spots, and keeps the weight a bit lower and central. And, they’re pretty affordable, so if the bike goes over i haven’t damaged or destroyed a piece of expensive Ducati kit.

I’ve got the tall touring screen, the spacers (Aztec, or one of those... can’t recall which ones), and the little Puig deflector on top, and its great for me, but as is always the case with screens, each persons mileage may vary. In my setup, it’s smooth air, but admittedly not “quiet” air. But i can ride with the face shield up, which is for me is huge when riding in hot weather. That indicates again that I’ve mostly given up on it being much of an off road bike.

Removing the mirrors is something I’ve toyed with for noise, but hadn’t tried yet.... good reminder.
  4. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0581[64].jpg
    Reviving this thread.
    srelegante likes this.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roadtrip; SoCal to Orlando... gearing up for a Key West to Alaska run in the Spring of 2021...

28.jpg

31.jpg

39.jpg

2.jpg

17.jpg

9.jpg

4.jpeg

16.jpeg

15.jpeg
    lzymtbrdrkr and Bluesilver like this.
  6. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike, and great pics. you're setting the bar high for caliber of photography! I'm too lazy to do what it usually takes for better pics, but luck out once or twice per trip with a good keeper.
    I'm partial to that paint scheme, which i think was just on the pro?
    Hopefully you had a chance to use those big block tires, as i'm assuming they're about used up on a coast to coast run on tarmac.
    I ran through Cool Springs a month or two ago enroute (not-so-direct) from Oregon to death valley to Tucson on the Enduro. Damn pleasant riding.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The updated MST-E 1260 carries that paint scheme but they dropped the Pro designation...

Multistrada-1260-Enduro-MY19-04-Studio-Gallery-1920x1080.jpeg

Agreed. The MST-E is a damn great bike on/off-road but just a tad bit top heavy for me on the trails. As for the tires, those are the second set of big blocks for the bike. I wore out the stock Pirelli Rally STRs on local trails and Death Valley... For my SoCal to Orlando run I mounted a new set of Shinko 804/805s that I had on hand and they are about half way done. I'll likely replace them when I get back to SoCal next year or just shy of it...

7.jpeg

17.jpeg

25.jpeg
    OneAUout, naustin09 and Bluesilver like this.
  8. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    more excellent pics! adds some nice life & color to the gray winter here in the NW. Was only a couple months ago that I was there at Death Valley, with perfect weather, scenery, and roads, but seems like a year ago now that the gray rain has settled over us here.

Just noticed the rotopax... you're carrying more fuel on top of the nearly 8gallons in the tank? just curious. I love the range afforded by the huge tank and the remarkably fuel efficient motor on my 1200 enduro, but not sure my butt could handle any more range/time than the 300+ miles i get now. And on the Enduro i actually get better mileage when off road and going slower, even if i'm naughty with the throttle, so that just makes my range even longer (unlike another ADV bike i've got that gets worse when riding it off road... 990ADV). All that said, just removing any concern about range, so that it doesn't matter where road takes you, is nice...
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was planning ahead so I wouldn't have to pay $5.00 to $6.00 for premium unleaded out at DV...

I usually fill-up in Searles Valley, get some riding and camping done in DVNP, then dump the rotopax on my way out to refuel at Searles Valley or Lone Pine depending where I want to go next...
  10. naustin09

naustin09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think this has been previously discussed in this thread - but here goes.

Skyhook Settings.

The different rider modes have wildly different default Preload settings. Rider Only is 14 in Sport, 4 in Urban, 12 in Enduro. I find this confusing. Regardless of the Skyhook algorithm, fancy fork internals, and active damping adjustments - preload is still about setting the appropriate sag. Isn't it??

I measured my sag (bike running) and established settings -6 from full hard on the fork, and for the rear

(Sport Mode - I'm 175# in street clothes)
    Rider -- 16
    Rider+ -- 18
    2 up -- 22
    2 up+ -- 24

Shouldn't I apply these preload settings in all Ride Modes? Is there a reason (Directed to you Motocross guys) that preload settings in Enduro mode should be dramatically softer -- I.E. the bike would ride lower in the shock stroke. All I can think of here is that this would effectively lower the back of the bike and change the steering geometry at the expense of ground clearance - but perhaps make the bike more stable off road.

I watched all the Ducati DRE Enduro videos on YouTube where Beppe Gualini was interviewed. The guy rode Dakar 10 times and knows his shit - I have to believe he was involved in determining those stock settings.

So - three questions:

1.) Have you measured your sag and modified your preload settings at all?

2.) How/Why are your preload settings the same or different in Enduro Mode vs. Sport Mode?

3.) Does the Skyhook algorithm look at the preload setting? Or does it rely purely on the sensor data? In other words, does changing the preload setting change the Skyhook algorithm. Anybody been inside that Blackbox?
  11. legalbeagle

legalbeagle better than average

Oddometer:
    Naustin09: Very interesting questions and I’m not a suspension guru so not much help here, but I’m curious.

How does the bike feel to you in the different modes? I went to the Duc Skyhook suspension after riding a 2007 GS with mechanical adjusters for years and saw an immediate improvement in all riding conditions with just the stock settings. I was a bit skeptical at first but I’m amazed at how responsive it really is. I’m sure mine could be “dialed in” more by a real pro, but it’s pretty darn fantastic out of the box imho.

The proofs in the puddin’ as they say so, what are you trying to accomplish or improve on your setup?
  12. naustin09

Oddometer:
    Mostly I'm just snowed in and bored. I have only put 800 miles on the Enduro since buying it last fall, so am spending the winter fiddling with it, and planning trips. Mostly I just want to get the suspension set-up as close as I can from a theoretical point of view in the workshop, so that when I start riding it in the spring - I'm fine tuning the damping settings in each mode versus screwing with all the preload adjustments. I think the Sport set-up I have so far feels pretty close. (Have set it to "Harder" damping front and rear along with Preload listed above for Sport Mode.) I'm really asking to help determine appropriate settings in Enduro Mode for two-track and fire road riding. The Default Rear Preload in Enduro is 12 for all load settings, regardless of Rider or 2-up - and that just makes no sense to me.

Thinking about doing Raw Hyde or something similar this year, and would like to have the suspension dialed so I'm learning & practicing skills vs. potentially being unduly challenged by or compensating for poor suspension set-up. My off road riding experience has been limited to stubbornly refusing to turn around on the ST1300 or FJR when encountering "Pavement Ends" signs. I'd like to take the Enduro a bit further afield and eventually run the BDRs, etc.
  13. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a 18’ Enduro Pro.

In the suspension world preload is only the spring compression setting for the load you have on the bike. So single helmet or single helmet with luggage and so on. That part you have to set specifically yourself I thought then the rebound & compression settings all have factory settings that you can fine tune.

Am I misunderstanding what you are explaining ?
  14. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok just went back and read your original post. So the fine tuning of how much rear preload is what you are referring to.

If you do some internet surfing you will find the general rules on static sag and loaded sag. That will get you very close. Will take some fiddling but if you are fine tuning between the different modes it would be worth it probably.
  15. naustin09

Oddometer:
    We're on the same page - sort of....

The front preload is manual. The rest of the suspension adjustments are in the computer: Rear Preload - Front Damping, Rear Damping.

The Damping settings merely influence the Skyhook Semi-Active Algorithm, which relies on inertial measurements coming from various sensors, including the 6 axis IMU to adjust both Compression and Rebound damping many times per second. If you hit a pot hole, the compression damping on the fork will go from soft to hard in a hundreth of a second if the sensors detect enough force to bottom the travel. We can ask the system to be Harder or Softer within the range of settings, but we can't control exactly what the damping settings are at any given time. They are constantly being adjusted by the computer to keep the bike settled.

My question is about the rear Pre-Load setting. The bike comes with default settings, and those settings are dramatically different for each Ride Mode. Within each Ride Mode, they also vary across a range for different load settings: Rider, Rider + Luggage, 2-UP, 2-Up + Luggage. It makes sense that the preload would increase for a heavier load.

But, why would Ducati Default (which they know most will never change) rear Pre-load settings be LOWER when in Enduro Mode vs. Sport or Touring? I'm wondering if there is a completely different algorithm being used in Enduro vs. Sport or Touring. Did Ducati have a good reason to want the bike to have more static & Rider sag in Enduro mode?
  16. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe off road bikes sag settings are different pertaining to percentage of sag to a road bike so that is likely their reasoning. Too much preload would have us riding a bucking bronco off road is my guess. Would be nice to know what the target weight was for their spring selection in this bike for the single rider. I have my front preload set to 8 turns in. There are only 10 on the fork which is crazy to me. But for my weight it balanced out the feel. I have yet to spend time with static and loaded sag since the bike has to be running. About to start raining all week here so you may have motivated me to get it dialed in.
    naustin09 likes this.
  17. legalbeagle

legalbeagle better than average

Oddometer:
    I totally understand being cooped up for the winter and tinkering with the bike! Many a farkle were procured and played with in the off season thanks to the combination of the internet and the weather. 800 miles before putting a new bike away is a total bummer.

Try calling over to MotoCorsa in Portland, Oregon and see if Shahin Alvandi [(503)292-7488] can answer your question about the Ducati Skyhook algorithm. He probably knows more about the Ducati MSE than anyone outside of Italy. He’s incredibly cool to talk adv riding with and has many, many miles on these bikes in particular. IMHO he’s the best info source short of calling the factory and he’s always interested in making a new friend - just the way the world should work.

cheers!
    naustin09 likes this.
  18. naustin09

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I might give him a call....

So.... Good info. The Skyhook programing is, in fact different in different rider Modes.... In other words "Normal" damping is different in each mode.

https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/tech/semi-active-suspension/
    http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/ducati-multistrada-2013-skyhook-technical

If the whole thing is programed based on the stock default pre-load settings, and those settings are specific to each rider mode - it would make sense to make changes incrementally and linearly from the stock settings and preserve the delta between each Mode and Load setting.

I would love to have 10 minutes with the Ducati DRE Enduro Fleet to casually audit the settings on the bikes they put customers on for actual off-road training!
  19. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know what you are saying. It didn't take long to realize the preload settings were strange. I had to go to about 18 on the rear if I remember right. The front was similar but I don't remember the number of clicks. Part of my decision making was based on height being the bike is so tall. Lessen the preload as much as I could to help with reach. I have the preload much lower on urban mode and really only use it when I need help with feet reaching the ground. Touring I have set according to sag (minus a little) and I am really happy with my settings there and how it handles at speed. Enduro is somewhere in between. What I like is how easy it is to change settings and experiment to find what works.
    naustin09 likes this.
  20. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:

How was the washboard on the Racetrack road? I bent, actually ruined, my front wheel on my GSA down that at 40mph.