Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. Gotta match your “mission” to the bike and then the dollars, at least until we hit a Lotto....
    That tank size thing you mention, truly a key point. It’s a serious game changer, both as a plus for range planning, as well as all that weight you’re going to feel up there. Lots of talk about how the bike carries it well. Hmm. I suppose, but its just another factor in the bike feeling very much unlike a real off-road machine. So, i live with the bulk/weight of the machine in exchange for its other great features, which include that fantastic range. I can grind out 300+ miles on a tank with absolute ease, or more likely get off my ass every couple hours to squirt some gas in and stretch my legs. I do both regularly, and it’s liberating to just be able to remove any real concern about range, depending on what kind of riding you do. I far prefer to be off the beaten track (far from any interstate if i can), so fuel planning can be a hassle When u don’t know whether the next couple of “towns” on the map are just a boarded up post office and church and no gas stations, but not with the 8gal tank.

slipknot likes this.
  2. opiumcake

opiumcake n00b

Oddometer:
    Honestly, it has taken several years to warm up to it. Not until my 950 ADV retired, did I start to ride the Enduro as a daily driver. My advice:

1. Only fill the tank with 3 gallons if you plan on doing anything fancy. You can always fill it to the brim if you need the full range between stops

2. Smallest windscreen possible. Helmets like clean air.

3. Remove the mirrors...they cause as much turbulence as the high windscreen.

4. Raise seat height by an inch or more if you can manage. Upright seating position right up against the tank gives good control. My Corbin is an experiment in height...I don’t ever slide back into the palm of that curvy catcher mitt (for very long). I will eventually send it off to Renazco as a donor pan for a high, flat suede seat build. Higher seat height also makes moving into a standing position.

Attached Files:

3. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:

That’s a helluva seat! My butt is jealous. But seriously, For my skinny ass i just put an Alaska sheepskin pillion cover (happened to fit, and had it from a previous bike) on the factory gel seat when i ride long distances, and it becomes an all-day seat for me. And i go low.... my gel seat is the lower seat, and even though I’m tall, it provides for the option to back the bike up a bit, as with the stock or tall seat its damn hard to straddle the machine and back out of an awkward parking spot, etc. That’s obviously a “road” thing, not an off-road consideration so much.

I’ve got a 990ADV also, and love it, and use for when there will be more off-road on the itinerary. Nothing I’ve tried on the Enduro has allowed me to get comfortable with it in the “dirt”, although just “dirt roads” are more than fine. Carrying less fuel in the tank is a great idea, but not very practical for me, because if I’m going off-road near home I’m not using the Enduro, and if I’m on a long ride with some off-road then its a given that I’m going to be carrying gear/baggage and have range considerations for fuel, so its just a reality that the beast will be hopelessly heavy (mostly because its too heavy to begin with, and then the circumstances dictate even more weight).
    I do use much thinner, lower/deeper side cases, so weight is carried both lower and closer to the mid-line of the bike. I had a set of Pazoma (? Or some name like that... can’t quite remember) cases that i adapted to fit, and they have the side benefit of not being as wide/bulky for maneuvering in narrow spots, and keeps the weight a bit lower and central. And, they’re pretty affordable, so if the bike goes over i haven’t damaged or destroyed a piece of expensive Ducati kit.

I’ve got the tall touring screen, the spacers (Aztec, or one of those... can’t recall which ones), and the little Puig deflector on top, and its great for me, but as is always the case with screens, each persons mileage may vary. In my setup, it’s smooth air, but admittedly not “quiet” air. But i can ride with the face shield up, which is for me is huge when riding in hot weather. That indicates again that I’ve mostly given up on it being much of an off road bike.

Removing the mirrors is something I’ve toyed with for noise, but hadn’t tried yet.... good reminder.
  4. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0581[64].jpg
    Reviving this thread.
    srelegante likes this.
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Roadtrip; SoCal to Orlando... gearing up for a Key West to Alaska run in the Spring of 2021...

28.jpg

31.jpg

39.jpg

2.jpg

17.jpg

9.jpg

4.jpeg

16.jpeg

15.jpeg
    Bluesilver likes this.
  6. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike, and great pics. you're setting the bar high for caliber of photography! I'm too lazy to do what it usually takes for better pics, but luck out once or twice per trip with a good keeper.
    I'm partial to that paint scheme, which i think was just on the pro?
    Hopefully you had a chance to use those big block tires, as i'm assuming they're about used up on a coast to coast run on tarmac.
    I ran through Cool Springs a month or two ago enroute (not-so-direct) from Oregon to death valley to Tucson on the Enduro. Damn pleasant riding.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    The updated MST-E 1260 carries that paint scheme but they dropped the Pro designation...

Multistrada-1260-Enduro-MY19-04-Studio-Gallery-1920x1080.jpeg

Agreed. The MST-E is a damn great bike on/off-road but just a tad bit top heavy for me on the trails. As for the tires, those are the second set of big blocks for the bike. I wore out the stock Pirelli Rally STRs on local trails and Death Valley... For my SoCal to Orlando run I mounted a new set of Shinko 804/805s that I had on hand and they are about half way done. I'll likely replace them when I get back to SoCal next year or just shy of it...

7.jpeg

17.jpeg

25.jpeg
    Bluesilver likes this.
  8. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    more excellent pics! adds some nice life & color to the gray winter here in the NW. Was only a couple months ago that I was there at Death Valley, with perfect weather, scenery, and roads, but seems like a year ago now that the gray rain has settled over us here.

Just noticed the rotopax... you're carrying more fuel on top of the nearly 8gallons in the tank? just curious. I love the range afforded by the huge tank and the remarkably fuel efficient motor on my 1200 enduro, but not sure my butt could handle any more range/time than the 300+ miles i get now. And on the Enduro i actually get better mileage when off road and going slower, even if i'm naughty with the throttle, so that just makes my range even longer (unlike another ADV bike i've got that gets worse when riding it off road... 990ADV). All that said, just removing any concern about range, so that it doesn't matter where road takes you, is nice...
  9. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I was planning ahead so I wouldn't have to pay $5.00 to $6.00 for premium unleaded out at DV...

I usually fill-up in Searles Valley, get some riding and camping done in DVNP, then dump the rotopax on my way out to refuel at Searles Valley or Lone Pine depending where I want to go next...