1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same as always, it sucked...

In the really bad sections I stayed to the sides where it was flatter or dampened by sand...

When I got back on the tarmac, I looked over the bike and saw that my rear brake light was flickering. Didn't think anything about until I used my cruise control and it disengaged several times on my way home down to San Diego. Long story short I ended up taking it to the dealer and they told me the rear brake light switch was broken... luckily it was covered by the warranty...
    Bigbugberg likes this.
  2. naustin09

naustin09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Loved these pictures by the way. I need to trailer down there every February for an annual Mental Health break.
    black 8 likes this.
  3. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean...

Different kind of riding here in the Sunshine State. I miss having wide open spaces, going through the DVNP and the Mojave Preserve... I'm exploring FL right now to see what it has to offer and will be going down to Key West before I head home to SoCal in early March...

6.jpeg

2.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg
    pr-diesel-doc, dsrydr and naustin09 like this.
  4. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am new to posting on forums, so hopefully I have done this correctly. I am considering buying a 2017 Multistrada Enduro to replace my 2019 Harley Road Glide and 2007 Multistrada 1100S. I have read several pages from this 90 page section in the forum, but time does not allow to scrub every post for information. Question I have, is in regards to the heat on the Enduro model. I have read some on line reviews and there seems to be a reoccurring comment about heat trapped due to the larger gas tank which is a concern considering I live in Texas...only cold a couple months a year. And being winter, it is hard to tell the amount of heat generated on a test ride. Would appreciate any information on this topic as well as any other items to have concern with in regards to the Multistrada Enduro. My riding style would be 90% pavement and maybe 10% gravel/fire roads. Thank you in advance.
  5. naustin09

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine it is appreciably different than your 1100S. The issue is the rear cylinder head so close to the seat. If your 1100S doesn't bother you, shouldn't be any worse on the new Enduro. I like to use a BeadRider and a big part of teh added comfort is the airflow it promotes between me and the saddle.
  6. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no heat problems with the 1100S or the Harley. I test rode a KTM 1290 last summer and the heat coming of that rear cylinder was unbearable just in the 45 minute test ride. Wanting to make sure the Enduro was not the same way. Thanks for the response.
  7. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a 2017 enduro. The main source of heat is the cat at the very bottom right in the middle of the center stand. For the most part it is only an issue when it is hot outside (95 deg. plus) and you are at a stop. Once you are moving it is negligible. One time on a trip my foot/boot was burning up from being too close to the cat, moving at 70 mph+. I had to move my foot further out on the peg. I have not experienced any problem near the seat or on my legs when the bike is moving, only when at a stop.
  8. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. Considering you ride the same bike I may purchase, any known issues I should be aware of? Any regrets going with the Enduro? I bought a brand new 2019 GSA 1250 a few years ago and kept it for about 3,300 miles. For some reason that bike did nothing for me...bike seemed almost too refined. Which is why I am leaning to the Ducati Enduro. Ducati may have all the electronic "bells and whistles", but still offers that Ducati excitement.
  9. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never cared for the big GS either. The telelever susp just never felt right to me. Like you weren't connected to the road, like the bike was floating or something.

I love the enduro! The riding modes, being able to mess with the suspension so easily. The enduro mode is so different, like riding a 650 dual sport. If you want full power in enduro mode, just set it up. You still have a slower throttle response just more power. I ride in touring mode mostly on pavement. Brilliant, I love it.

The seat was bad. Long ride you get a cramp in your ass that takes hours to go away. Ducati comfort seat much better for me. It's actually an inch or so taller, but much better comfort wise.

The bike is tall. I think I'm at 35" seat height with the comfort seat. I am 5'11" with 32" inseam. Moving the bike around with just the balls of my feet on the ground can get a little dicey, but as soon as I hit the throttle and take off that is quickly a distant memory!

I ride a lot of pavement, but I like to hit gravel/dirt roads or worse at moderate speed. This bike is perfect for what I do. If I could change anything it would be to make it a little less tall but again, once I'm moving, not an issue.
  10. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great information and much appreciated. I am 6’3” which is another reason I am liking the bike. Fits me well. I have read the seat sucks which is the case for most stock bike seats and a relatively easy fix. I have a 2007 Multistrada S as well which I love, but horrible for any long ride over 60 mph for a tall rider. Wind buffeting is brutal and no after market wind screen fix...have tried several with no luck. I am test riding a few more bikes tomorrow and Saturday. Keep you posted on what I end up with, so far the Enduro is at the top of the list
    naustin09 likes this.
  11. naustin09

Oddometer:
    Anybody have the Ducati Saddlebag liners for the aluminum boxes? Are they any good? Is the smaller bag rectangular, or does it fit the shape of the right side bag?
  12. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    I love the GS, but love the Enduro more.... maybe a bad analogy, but Range Rover vs Ford Raptor? Ones cushier, and one has more “growl”. Does any of that matter? If not, then i may as well ride a moped. (Not there’s anything wrong with mopeds!)

I’m 6’3”, also had an air cooled Multi (and then a 2010, and now the 2016 Enduro), and the enduro fits me great. I’ve also have been rightfully accused of being obsessive about windscreens, but with a tall torso i (we) have more at stake...
    I ended up with a tall Puig touring screen, the Puig deflector at top, and some spacers that push the windscreen forward a bit. I now have smooth air, but its not quiet air. It’s more quiet to put the screen all the way down so i have full-force but clean air hitting my helmet, leaving things clean and quiet, but of course need the full face helmet on. With the screen all the way up i can flip my face shield up and all’s well, with fresh air coming in to breath (nice), but its not quiet air at highway speeds.

Seat height will be fine for you, but even at 6’3”, given the weight of the beast, its a little tricky maneuvering it around manually in tight spots, like on an angled parking spot where u need to back up an incline. Just gotta keep it in mind.
    All that said, it definitely seems like more of a handful than the air cooled multi, in multiple ways, but its sweet.
  13. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good information about windscreens and clean air. Weather finally let up yesterday and I took the Enduro for a 1 hour test ride and completely agree with your Range Rover/Raptor analogy. Wind buffeting was minimal, but loud. So I am sure I will test out several screens as you have. I also test road a KTM 890 Adventure R and found that bike to be a great adventure bike if the majority of your riding will be off road. IMO, even with a larger windscreens, it will not provide enough wind protection on long rides. After the Enduro test ride, I will probably move forward with the Enduro next week.
  14. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have a full set and looking to sell. Used them only for long tours. Excellent condition.
  15. naustin09

Oddometer:
    Thanks - At this point I'm going in a different direction. I found some small Duffle bags that will fit - and then I have room left over in the bottom for various dry bags or stash bags for other gear and organization. Thanks anyway!
  16. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pulled the plug and have a 2017 Multitrada Enduro in the garage. First add ons: crash bars, radiator and oil cooler guards, and hand hand protectors. I am sure there is valuable information within the forum on this, but don’t see to much on the the crash bars. Looking at the Givi crash bars and wanting to know if anyone has any experience with the Givi, or if there is another recommended brand. Looking for real protection as well as being abler to mount additional fog lights. One other question, is anyone running a Corbin seat? If so, comments?
  17. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the bike!! I think you will love it. Temps were in the 60's here yesterday and I was able to get out and ride. Still in the honeymoon stage with this bike, so much fun to ride!!
    I have purchased the ducati (touratech?) crash bars on ebay nib for $400 but have not installed them yet.
    I have also seen corbin seats on ebay for a decent price but for me afraid it would make it even worse reaching the ground. For up to a couple hundred mile ride the comfort seat is good and better for any dirt road/off road.
  18. opiumcake

opiumcake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Corbin seat - I like the added height to the seating position. It adds about an inch and is initially quite firm. After a few hundred miles of break-in it softens a little. The rider’s seat space is huge. I like riding really close to the tank. When I’m in that aggressive position I can fit a second rider (albeit my small gf) in it...without any overlap to the pillion section. The pillion is about another inch taller than stock, preventing the seat from being level with the passenger grab handles. Something to consider if strapping a bag across the width of the bike.

I also like riding on top of the bike as opposed to riding in the bike. The taller riding position allows me to actively put force into pegs and shift into a crouching or standing position quickly and easily. Ideally, I would add another inch on top of the Corbin and shave the pillion to make a flat saddle. Renazco Racing is giving this a shot by reforming both pieces of the stock seat.

On topic of seat firmness, I like really firm foam. This is especially true with a bike that moves around on its suspension as the MTSE. The seat should aid in being connected to the rest of the chassis. If the foam is to squishy, the seated rider begins to act as a second suspended mass with its own inertia, separate from the bulk of the bike...

58C371BC-5252-4613-B0F2-955BFD0F9424.jpeg
  19. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike and I had a 150 mile morning date and could not be happier at this point. A new windscreen is now at the top of the list with crash bars and few other items. Amazing difference in wind noise when I put my hand at the top of the windshield while riding. Looking at the Touratech screen as an option.

Finding the Ducati crash bars for $400 is a great deal considering the dealer wants $650. If I can find a deal on some Ducati crash bars, I will jump on them. I found the seat to work great for about 50 miles, then started to get uncomfortable so I tossed on the AirHawk for the remainder of the ride. I am going to ask my dealer if I can test ride the comfort seat for a day before purchasing anything.

upload_2021-1-31_19-18-47.jpeg
  20. TulsaAg

TulsaAg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First of all, love what you have done to your bike. Colors flow great between graphics and seat. I am with you riding on top of the bike in lieu of in the bike. I have rode dirt bikes on single track for years (still do) and riding fast is more about body position than anything else. Also, appreciate the heads up on the pillion sitting an inch higher. My wife never rides with me, but I do intend to utilize that space to strap down bags so having the pillion “shaved down” will be on the agenda if I go with the Corbin. A local small upholstery shop has customized my Harley seats and will have him take care of the pillion. The Corbin firmness is not an issue as dirt bike seats have next to now cushion so used to hard seat. Also, always ride with an AirHawk in the side bags to throw on when I want to change it up.