1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ducati MTS1200 Enduro Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by TBR, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all: I have a 14' MTS1200 standard, not S. I was gifted a newer PikesPeak CF windscreen , but the bolt pattern is totally different- 4 holes in mine, 3 holes in the PP. Has anyone done the swap on 13-14 MTS1200 to a newer CF shorter windscreen? Is there an adaptor kit that could accommodate the PP screen to the existing fairing?

Thanks
    Ishai
  2. mpr90

mpr90 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have in the past successfully read trouble codes and reset my engine light using an automotive bluetooth OBD-II reader with an adapter cable and the Torque Pro Android app. In my case, the cruise control stopped working and the engine light came on. Reading the trouble code showed it to be a faulty rear brake sensor (fault code P0504), and I was able to fix it and clear the error code without a dealer trip.
    I used
    • Reader: Panlong Bluetooth OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Check Engine Light for Android - Compatible with Torque Pro
    • Cable: Motorbike OBD 4 Pin Diagnostic Adapter for Du-Cati, Multistrada Motorcycle OBDII DDA Can-Bus Connector
    • App: Torque Pro for Android
    But I don't expect that this setup would allow you to read custom Ducati PIDs unless you can find them listed somewhere online and load them into Torque Pro.
    HTH.
  3. kingspapabear

kingspapabear noob Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the list mpr90, I'm schedualed this Friday for a dealer visit, but will try to find your list of parts too. I havn't looked for a code list, alas, more forum hunting.
  4. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to chime in on what they are using for a tail bag. I prefer that over a tank bag since there is that little handlebar bag that can hold some small items. On my prior 1200s the tail rack accepted an Altrider tail rack that served as a platform to add just about anything you want - gas, duffle, tail bag. This bike's tail rack doesn't seem to have the same ability to accept aftermarket racks and is sort of an odd shape to add a bag on top of.

Any ideas?:lurk
  5. Oznavad

Oznavad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used the Nelson Rig Commuter Touring bag in the past. Now using the SW Motech Evo Tailbag. However I have a luggage rack on mine. While a great bag and big when expanded, the SW Motech has a couple of issues that are making me think of switching. First, the bottom is contoured to rest on a pillion, which doesn't work well in my case on a flat rack. Second issue is the mouth of the bag is smaller than the inside dimensions making it impossible to get my helmet (Neotech 2) into the bag. The bag is large enough for the helmet, but the mouth is too small to get it in. At less than half the price, the Nelson Rigg was more functional than the SW Motech.
    For trips where I take a drone and camera, I use a modified Harbor Freight knock of of a pelican case and can strap another soft bag on top of it.
    As for the rack, I'm using a Dynamic short rack that fits the Enduro, which for $115 does everything the $250-300 racks do.
    Dave.0 likes this.
  6. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys mount Mosko BC35s on your Ducati Touratech racks? If so, what adapter did you use for the exhaust offset?
  7. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Those Mosko’s look sweet. But I don’t know anything about them or required offsets, other than to say that my Pazoma side cases come straight down (no offset, unlike the stock racks/cases), so the right one sits right next to the exhaust, and even with the heat shield that right case gets real hot inside.
  8. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I'll have to get new racks if I want to stick with the BC35s...looks like the mounting hardware won't work with the Ducati Touratech racks at all.
  9. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Giantloop GL pannier racks have a GS adapter for that setup and they appear to be universal for fitting various brand soft panniers on them. I have a 15’ GSA and a 18’ Enduro Pro so measured the adapter offset they use and this will work on both the GSA and the Multi it appears. At least it may be another option for you.
    picknpluck likes this.
  10. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    I know SW Motech racks work too. I just don't want to remove my Touratech racks. I'd like to retain the option to use my Touratech boxes without having to swap racks. I'm leaning towards letting the BC35s go and sticking with my R80s for soft luggage.
  11. kingspapabear

kingspapabear noob Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone mount a soundbomb sucessfuly?
    How about input, good, bad or otherwise, on afermarket tall windshields?
    Anyone using iconic.uk windshield spacers or other products?
  12. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    Typical ... just as I get my africa twin sorted with suspension, sidecases, seat etc. I borrow my old FJR1300 from my buddy I sold it to, and realize just how much I miss the power and handling of a pure streetbike. And then boss-guy says I'm getting a raise. Maybe I'm ready to give up the AT's off-pavement chops to gain the MTS-Enduro's street prowess. Presumably it's a stellar pavement pounder and doesn't suck on gravel.

Are there any "gotchas" on this platform? Common failures, pre-emptive repairs, things to look for, etc? Is it tough and durable, or like hex-heads, does it have a built-in 'wear-bomb' at a certain mileage? Are maintenance and repairs feasible for a skilled-but-not-pro-shadetree guy? Are all my questions answered in a 'sticky' somewhere?
  13. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:

Definitely all answered, but the forums grow so huge its hard to fish out the good stuff without a good amount of time, and several cocktails...
    You’ll obviously get the fan opinions on this thread, but thats natural.
    My MS enduro is my ‘Honda”, meaning it’s the most reliable bike in my garage, which has a number of older Italian bikes and a KTM. Love them all for different reasons, but the enduro i just ride.
    Infamous valve adjustment is what duc’s take all the abuse for from others, and i suppose it is in fact a bigger deal than what’s needed on most other makes, but if you just accept the fact that you’ll need to bite the bullet once at around 15-17k miles, its otherwise no big deal. I do the valves on my older 2v duc motors, but i leave the 4v water cooled engines to my local dealer to do. Too much hassle and time so i pony up the $$. The follow up valve adjustments, after that first one, often are just valve inspections, which I’ll usually do.

The enduro certainly isn’t an FJR, but its a magnificent machine. Speaking only for myself, I’ll ride it a lot, start getting slightly tired of it and will jump on another bike for a while, then when i come back to the enduro i remember why its so great. Familiarity dulls my senses to the great stuff till I am reminded again (and again....), but always ends up putting that smile back on my face. It’s arguably Harley like for long distance comfort once you tweak a couple things (not complicated), and yes its at least fine on gravel and fire roads. Many here love them as off-road bikes, and my hats off to them though i don’t share that love (i prefer a bike half the weight for riding single track.... a case of what one “can” do vs what I’d “want” to do is quite different). But most of my longer trips will have at least some great riding that would not be pleasant at all on a pure street bike, whether it’s gravel, some fire road, or even just bad tarmac that would hammer something like my old ST4, and the enduro takes it all with ease. Oh, and I should that it handles it all with an obscene amount of tasty horsepower and torque.... love that power.
    OneAUout likes this.
  14. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. We have plenty long winters here in MN to deal with maintenance items like valve adjusts etc. I skimmed some articles and while it looks more complicated but not a showstopper. Looks like there are some tool rental options as well for the pricy electronics stuff.

For true off-road I use my XTrainer, but when on longer trips I might find myself on gravel for a day; that's why I switched from the FJR and Ninja to the A/T.
  15. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Norskie- all sounds good. The valve adjust on the 4valve (8v) with the water cooling is a pain. But while my BMW boxer i had for a lot of (good) years was way easier, i also had to do it a lot more often. If you’re riding 15k miles per year or more, the duc valve thing would be a drag, but my miles get spread out over a couple different bikes, so I’m at least 3-5 yrs between valve “events”. That first event is usually an adjustment, which i have the local shop do, then checking them on the next interval I’ve been lucky (?) and haven’t needed to do any more adjustment on the last few ducs that went to 30 or 45k miles over time.
  16. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Got an Enduro yesterday:

upload_2021-5-9_9-32-54.png

Now need some seat time...
  17. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Well welcome to the fold!
    Like any bike, you’ll discover it’s annoying quirks, then either address them or get used to them, remembering that overall the bike is outstanding.
    In truth, the bike has no real flaws in my book, just some characteristics that could be better, based on experience with other bikes. You’ll decide for yourself, and you’ll enjoy the ride regardless...
  18. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Got it out for a few hours today, am really enjoying it and dialing in the settings. You're right about the annoyances ... #1 on the list is that the exhaust is too loud. It's' a the full Termignoni titanium and I'm guessing it doesn't have any baffles in it. Time to read the forums ...
  19. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new to you bike, enjoy. It looks great. Can you post more pictures? Also, what year/milage/ extras on the bike? Does it have the Skyhook suspension or manual?
  20. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! 2016, 18k miles, dealer just did the first 'big' service. Haven't taken many photos yet ... it has the touring package (sidecases, heated grips), skyhook, a 'shift tec' quick-open fuel tank door. The power and throttle response is stellar but it's the Skyhook I'm enjoying more than anything.