Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    It definitely wasn’t only 2010; I had the same thing happen on my 2011.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    The way I understood it was that most 2010 models and early 2011 models were affected. The easiest way to tell is if you have blue coolant - it should be swapped for the Ducati recommended pink coolant.

Though by now, all of the coolant should have been flushed and replaced with the pink AGIP stuff.
  3. Frank_Jameson

Frank_Jameson n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies so far. I know the Ohlins suspension on the S models is better than the Marzocchi/Sachs on the standard model, but coming from a bike with damper rod forks, how much will I really be missing? I'm guessing the difference will still be pretty substantial.
  4. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had two other S model Ducatis, the Ohlins is ALWAYS worth the money, especially the small premium you pay for buying used. I'm friggin amazed at the DES on my 2011 (and you can still buy the ECU to turn it into active suspension). I had to unlearn the handling from KTM it replaced, the multi is so amazingly better. I went through the entire setup menu for the first month I owned it and set up all four modes, all four weight settings. It's stupid cool how quickly the bike changes character from one to the other and since I ride 50% of the time two up, it's so nice to be able to not have to compromise so much, it's just a couple button clicks away. You can be hauling ass down a highway in sport mode, stop for 10 seconds at the start of a rough/gravel road, and click it down into Enduro mode (I changed the settings in that mode a LOT) and the bike is eminently ridable and tractable.

We just rented a R12GS (last year we were on a F700GS) in Greece. There was only ONE thing I thought I liked better about the BMW ES, you could switch from soft, normal, hard within the riding mode fairly quickly. BUT what I didn't like about it was soft was useless (even on a 40 mph gravel road), normal was useless at highway speeds (Balkans have many rough roads too), hard was not hard, but only just acceptably in control. This was same thing with F700. AND you can't adjust those settings. The Ducati on the other hand you can adjust the rear preload 16 "clicks" and the dampening like 32 "clicks" in each mode in each weight setting (that's 16 total). The bike goes from damn near full on track day to soft (but not squishy) sport touring, doesn't go full on dual sport even with all dampening out, but more than acceptable.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Sachs skyhook is my favorite suspension overall on my 2014 Multi, better than the electronic Sachs on my 2019 BMW GS. My 08 GS ohlins rocks though- simple, strong and well dampened. Ohlins is easy and reasonable to rebuild and always the top pick but Sachs isn’t a bad suspension.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins on the S models only ran on the single sparks so 2010-2012

The base sachs isn't a bad suspension at all just needs stiffer springs, I like the Ohins mechatronic better than the Skyhook but neither is "bad" per se.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the RCS clutch and brake masters on my '16. It required some selective filing of the hand guards but but 150% worth it.
  8. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at next ride....does anyone have experience with Multi vs S1000XR.....whats pros and cons? Why do you like the Multi better?
  9. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just for me, honestly I can't stand inline fours, love V-twins, so that's the main pro/con for me. Totally different engine characters. I seem to be fairly immune to shakey vibes, but buzzy vibes are dreadful.
    shil, Steve W. and kickstandsup like this.
  10. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Huh. Interesting. Have pictures? My clutch is soft again already after about 750 miles, and I’m just not going to crack the bleeder every 500.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Ever ride an S series BMW? Clinical is about the best way to descibe the experience. I bought a 1290 Super Duke over the S1000R for that reason. I'll be the first to admit the R was a better bike. It was just...boring.
  12. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the slave cylinder?
  13. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Swapped it for an Oberon 30,000 miles ago.

Rear tyre is shot too. Man, it’s almost time to just replace the bike!!!!
  14. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Well crap, time to do something about that master than.
  15. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Apparently. :)
  16. andykeck

Oddometer:
    I can post pix this weekend. Currently my bike is in the shop with a bad MAP sensor.
  17. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Ooof. Suck!
  18. andykeck

Oddometer:
    Here we go. You can see that to fit the lever, a little bit of the lower part of the hand guard had to be ground away. Similarly, there’s a little cutaway on the top piece so the hose from the reservoir has a little easier break.

Attached Files:

19. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Hm. Mines a 2011, so different mounts even. Thanks!
  20. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine let me ride his 2010 Multistrada and now my Super Tenere feels like it's riding on pogo sticks for suspension.... so it looks like I'm in the market for a used Multi. I'm inclined to go with a DS motor but his single spark non abs low grade suspension model felt so good maybe I should just look out for a deal on one of those.

I like to do the occasional long trip of a couple thousand miles but the electronic key fob has got me a little worried, is this thing going to leave me stranded or unable to open the gas filler, which I guess is the same thing.

Thanks for all the collective wisdom I've gathered from this thread already.