Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The key fob is not a problem as long as you get the 4 digit pin code from the PO. If for some reason the fob won't work you can use that code to start the bike. All locks like the gas cap open with the flip open key in the fob, not electronic. So as long as you have the fob you should always be good.

The Sach's suspension on my 13 GT feels great and the engine was always smoother than my friends 11.
    Achtung likes this.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Even if the battery in the key fob dies, it will go passive, and you just have to hold it in the sensor behind the cluster. I have had this happen it was a total non-event

....barring that you can always use the PIN (make sure you know what it is) which will get the bike started but won't get you in the fuel tank...so don't lose the key. PIN starts are kind of annoying, but it works well enough, they are also handy for showing off something on the bike when you left your key up stairs in your office at work :lol3
    Achtung and SMIFFXC like this.
  3. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Did your friend upgrade the to the Semi-active suspension controller? If he didn't that isn't fair comparison.
  4. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, the engine ran smoother than his 11. He had the plugs changed but mine was always smoother, really noticeable at slow speeds and in traffic. He traded it for a 2016. The suspension on his 11 was fine as far as I know, he never complained about it.
  5. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not know this. All years with a fob will do this?
  6. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I would assume, but I know my 2012 most certainly does.
  7. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Tune sucked. I have video evidence that the single sparks are perfectly smooth....once you fix the tune. Which was TERRIBLE even with the full tremi and upmap
    BobcatSig and AbAdStRaDa like this.
  8. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Did you run a piggyback? PCV or Rapidbike or ...?

Honestly, I have no complaints about mine (well — except the clutch with seals of cheese), but I’m always curious as to how to make it better. :)
  9. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Tuneboy actually.....which is good and bad in and of its own.

Though I do have electronic cruse now....
  10. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea but you are probably onto it. I know he did have something done with the ECU as he had aftermarket pipes put on, Arrow I think. Long and short of it was he was really hating life for a while until the brought it in and they changed the plugs, then it was much better. May have messed up the plugs with the new exhaust before having it fixed which could be why he needed new plugs; I'm just speculating but I bet your right. This was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly how it went down. He loved it but loved his 16 even more.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I saw it on the dyno. AFRs ranging into the low 10s high 9:1s below 3,500 RPM at which point the ratio skipped up to 13.9:1 and above. Felt like a bike with a carb with pilots too big for the motor AND the float too high.....bucked and coughed and generally rode like ass until you hit that ~3500rpm line, then it took the fuck off.

Tuneboy fixed that up.....though I am not 100% I would recommend it.....nor will Tuneboy work on the 2015 and up machines. Rapid Bike or Brentunes do though to my understanding.

Also picked up a legit 100km of range with the tune, before that I had 225km, and there better be a gas station before 230. Now I can reliably get 300km (though stretching it) and I have went as far as 365km highway droning.
    SMIFFXC likes this.
  12. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Oh, I totally believe the tune is terrible at low RPM. My solution is not to use it, of course :).
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I live in a country where the highest posted speed limit is 65mph....and only for one road, between Toyota and Tokyo 50mph is most toll roads....and extended time at 30km or less is required. Because traffic.\

I used to live in NM, trust me its a different experience.
  14. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NM.... My home state! :) Although I haven't ridden there in years I would love to go back and ride all over the place.
  15. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    Spoilt brat me. You do have me looking at a Rapidbike now. I keep pondering keep or sell; at 48k miles I may be pot committed though.
  16. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    So I rented a 2010 Multi last year for three weeks. I handed that bike back with 92,000 miles on it. There was some detail stuff wrong with it, but over all it still ran like a top (and trust me I made it run, loaded and two-up).

My 2012 is at 40,000 miles and I have no issues stalking down super sports with it.

Which is even more amusing when I have the wife on the back.
    expatbrit, SMIFFXC and AbAdStRaDa like this.
  17. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Samsies. 2012 with over 37k on mine. It hauls the mail. Hell I've even done a few track days on mine. :D
  18. expatbrit

Oddometer:
    I’m 48k. It’s done a track day, but all I could think of was how much it’d cost if I fell down! :)
    BobcatSig likes this.
  19. Lee113

Lee113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode a new 2018 Multi S Touring and a new 2019 BMW XR on the same day knowing I would make a purchase. Both bikes are phenomenal!! However, I ended up with the XR...even though I am a twin cylinder aficionado.

Multistrada notes:
    The rear brake on the Multi was non existent which seems to be typical of all Ducs I have ridden
    Very good, comfortable stock seat for the time I got to ride it
    Turn-in was very quick... almost to the point of being twitchy
    Vibration was evident on the Multi... just as much as the XR
    Local dealership has less-than stellar reputation (sales and service)... the dealership is fairly new, so I'm hoping it will improve
    Valve servicing (every 15K miles) quoted at ~$1500; first service ~$600

XR notes:
    Brakes all around better than the Multi
    Stock seat feels a little strange at first sit, however, I did two 200+ mile days this weekend and had little discomfort
    Handling was a little slower and heavier than the Multi, but very rock solid in corners
    The vibration "issue" on the XR was 100% solved with heavier HVMP barends and grip puppies.
    Sandia BMW in Albuquerque have the finest folks working there... customer service is always expemplary
    Valve servicing (every 18K miles) quoted at ~$600; first service ~$250

Bottom line... the Multi did hit the "passion" part of motorcycling for me, but the XR seemed to fit me and how I ride better. I can't wait until my first service is completed later this week so I can "let 'er rip, tater chip"
  20. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Those prices seem high. I pay about £240 ($305) for a typical service and recently £800 ($1,100) for the Desmo (Valves) service at 18,000 miles. The UK is generally more expensive for these sorts of things too.