Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. DucBill525

DucBill525 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shhhh Al Gore is listening
    davyjones and bobw like this.
  2. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Achtung likes this.
  3. cplus

cplus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My ‘13 PP has a full 2-into-1 Termi system. Nobody bats an eye about it. The only possible issue would be if they wanted to deny a warranty claim related to the engine but it’s out of warranty anyway at this point. Enjoy it.
    davyjones, BobcatSig and goodhorsey like this.
  4. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    I have a 14 with full termi. It had a Rexxer load on the controller when I bought it. The dealer had no problem servicing it but wasn’t familiar with Rexxer. Without the oxy sensor they couldn’t access controller for updates. Basically Rexxer overrides it. Hasn’t been an issue but I’d ask them if they can and will access the ECU. If the load was factory Termi key they should be able to access it.

Rear brake,even without the cat, sucks. Bleed often.

Fuel level sensors can go out. Ducati is on like rev4. No problems on the last one.

My keyless start sometimes fails in really high heat. If you lock the forks it’s a problem. Transmitter is under fuel cap. A bit of shade or a wet rag cools enough to get it working. If you don’t lock forks be sure you have the code to override and start without key if it overheats.

Bought with 6k nearing 20k now and 3rd year owning. Even with a few issues I love the bike.
  5. cplus

cplus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, those are the typical issues.

The rear brake is fine for settling the bike or holding it on a hill. 70-ish percent of a bikes braking comes from the front anyway.

Yes, the latest version (D?) of the fuel sensor is fine.

The keyless start is okay, but the sensor is actually behind the dash. You can hold a dead key or the red key behind the instrument cluster to get the bike unlocked and started without entering the code. I just had my dealer cut a new active (fob) and passive (red) key with the new style key and it works much better than the original.
  6. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the advice! yea, getting keys replicated will be the first thing I do. how much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
  7. goodhorsey

Oddometer:
    can anyone tell me what exhaust this is? thanks!

Attached Files:

8. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gpr
  9. goodhorsey

Oddometer:
    thanks! and they are... good? garbage? most excellent? what? excuse my ducati noobiness
  10. cplus

cplus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the active key was just over $200 and the passive was $85, plus an hour or so labor to program everything.
    goodhorsey likes this.
  11. goodhorsey

Oddometer:
    and to think, the 2nd key on my FJ-09 was $24.
    bobw likes this.
  12. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Ouch. I’m about to have to do this. Somewhere on my last trip, my active key vanished. I have a system, but apparently I didn’t follow it. No ‘no key’ on the dash or anything.
  13. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    asphaltsurfer1 and bobw like this.
  14. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, I had never seen this until today. I was at Pandora's Ducati and their alarm system interferes with the bike like many others. Took the key out of the the little cubby, pushed it down near the antennae, bike turned on, stuck the key back in the cubby. Rode off, turned down the street, looked down and saw the "no key"! Shit! Opened cubby, key sitting right there. Guess the alarm was still f-in with the reception.
  15. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I used SOS Diagnostics to get a standard key -- no chip, just ability to turn the lock cylinders. On trips, the active key stays in a pocket that does not get opened. I use the standard key to open any cylinder, and if I lose it, no biggie.
  16. cplus

cplus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s a good idea. Going one step further, you could keep a second red key under the pillion seat in case you ever loose the fob.
  17. bshock

bshock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you ever figure out the issue with the keyless ignition not working when hot? My 2013 multi keyless quits working after driving for 15 minutes until it cools down. The dealer claims they have never seen this and can't replicate the problem (even though it seems to do it most of the time for me). Figuring that I probably need to have the receiver replaced. I have replaced both batteries and the key fob with no effect.
  18. bshock

bshock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The code entry to start does work in all cases fortunately
  19. cplus

cplus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s a new one. Aside from bad batteries and limited range on the original fob, mine works from the mid-40s to mid-90s. I tend to avoid riding when the mercury rises into the triple digits.
  20. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    ">
    Nice idea. I have to take mine out — or did — and hold it by the antenna. After this I suspect I’ll find an alternative

Now if Albuquerque Ducati would call me back, since I’ll probably pay more rather than strip the HFCU from the bike. I have a spare uncoded red key blank I’ll likely start using, and keep a spare at home in case.

I’m just happy I lasted 8 years and 50,000 miles before I lost the key honestly :)
    BobcatSig likes this.