Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Same here. Never had an issue while riding just after setting in the sun nearing 100 degrees and even then isometimes it’s fine. Just ride my GS when the heat rises. A very expensive replacement issue. I like the old simple key but then again my 08 GS gave me fits until I figured out the base of the ignition switch is plastic with the contacts that do all the electrical work. Went out at 50k miles. Always something!
  2. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went to a local dealer to look at a 950 but I see a 16 left over and a 17 demo for the same price. I am a yamaha and Suzuki so far guy and thinking of a Ducati. Any reason they are around . I see even more on cycletraders. The dealer was pushing towards a 19 f850 premium but the price of these are tempting .
  3. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    My guess would be a lot of people traded in for the 1260 when it came out. I love my ‘11 MTS 1200 S.
  4. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 16 was zero miles and the 17 volcano grey has 600 mile demo. He also had a 17 950s ,18 950s with spoke wheel with zero miles. the 17 950 is 12.500 and demo 1200 14k...
  5. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Consider this. In the fall of 1997, my '98 ST2 (two valve, 944, water cooled) was $12,895. How much MORE motorcycle can you get for that price more than 20 years later. Pretty amazing.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Well I can tell you don't expect a Japanese bike. They take a little work to get "right" once you get it right you will have a very hard time looking at Japanese bikes the same way.

That applies equally to KTM and Triumph.
  7. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    I see several 1200 dynamic valve versions and 950 demo and left over locally also. 950 I think is a really good option as first time Ducati for what you can buy them for used/demo
  8. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question about Northeastern Ducati service shops - I just bought a 2014 Granturismo (do I have to type that out every time ? :hack), and my local service shop in Manhattan is really nice, but also seemingly really expensive. Any recommends for cheaper shops that don't actually require the sacrifice of your first two children? I only have one and I love her very much.
  9. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    The fiery Italian goddess will have her sacrifice!
    digger2 likes this.
  10. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
  11. digger2

digger2 A cad & a bounder

Oddometer:
    I get to pickup my new to me 1200 Friday in Seattle. Not had a Multi since the first Gen(which i was looking for this time) but found a deal on a 1200 that was too tempting. Grey Grand Tourismo .It will sit well in the collection
    BobcatSig and SMIFFXC like this.
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Congrats, you should love it. I had two air-cooled Multis as well, 2004 1000 and 2008 1100S. Interestingly I bought/sold both the 2008 and 2011 when they were about 7 years old with +/- 20K miles. The price difference was only about $1500. The 1200S is a LOT more motorcycle for that $1500.
  13. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you buy a '16 left over and a year later you get to do a belt replacement service? That'd probably negate any cost savings.
  14. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I bet he saves more than 750 that it costs for parts and labor.
  15. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Good point and timely as I'm currently pondering current deals too. If and I'm sure they are made like all modern belts it would/should be perfectly fine to use them for a "full service interval". Unless exposed to some type of extreme environment that I don't think could happen in the crate or showroom floor it would be similar if the dealer took one out of their stock to install during service that had been made the prior year. I'd bet they don't clear inventory and destroy them like day old bread. I could be way off so if anyone has seen a date code showing "best used by" I would appreciate clarification?

Cheers
  16. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Unless the dealer changed them at some point their maintenance schedule is replacement every 60 months. Mileage notwithstanding.

This is not something you want to play with, snapping a cam belt is motor death.
    bobw likes this.
  17. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Is that really the cost? Is that consistent between all dealerships?
  18. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Of course not.

Infact if you are having the vales done, it SHOULD be labor free since they have to pull and reinstall the belts anyway. Cost $240 for the part.

My last desmo matintenace was $1100 but I had a set of tires and a chain added. All I had them do otherwise was the valves and belts, I did all of the fluids.

Otherwise they are trying to to change all of the fluids, battery, this that and a 100 other little silly things that should be pre-ride level. At least in Japan they come out with the schedule and I tell them go/no go on what is getting done. I can also say at the dealer I use just getting the belt changed would be $750 or less.
  19. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Obviously I'm not talking about adding tires and valve inspections, I'm only referring to belt replacement. But I think I see your point. If you're going to do 15,000 miles before the 5 year date of manufacture is up then you'll be doing belts anyways.
  20. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I do belts every year.

Fact is I don't know without their pay schedule in front of me, its not terribly hard to get the belts on an off there is a tool to hold the cam lock (the DVT mechanism) and release the tensioner, and they come right off.

Pretty sure you don't need to get all of the tupperware out of the way first either those covers are right there on the side of the jugs.