Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Understand and wouldn't shy on any maintenance. I run 15-20Ks a year so plenty of opportunities to inspect. 5 years is great info, thanks!
  2. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe it's 15k miles or 5 years whichever comes first.
    bobw likes this.
  3. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makes no sense, its winter and my jacked up my back so lets say i start riding a brand new left over in spring of 2020. You telling i need to change belt in a year with say 5k miles.what are these belts made of. that they disintegrate standing.

btw, my dealer quoting me 1500 to 2000 for a desmo service and said people typically change chain and tires so look at 3k....wowza
  4. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    and $1500 of that is to pay them to take apart and put back together all the body work and "stuff" it takes to do the actual technical work. Do your own, save $$.
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I would ask a couple other dealers then.
  6. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep and it's why you can find so many used 4 year old bikes. They're trying to dump it before the service is due.
    bobw likes this.
  7. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SO i got to another dealer as i am off this week and i am getting bored . no bike and at least shop with kids at school and wife working so bike shopping. He has a 950S 2019 with all new gadgets as i am looking he offer me 2 2016 enduro for 1k less than the 950S to pick. one grey [2 miles] and one red [1600 Demo Miles] to choose between. Both are 2016 but what i am told here need belts right off the bat.

http://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000058.pdf
    bobw likes this.
  8. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sense i see so many ducati in around 15k , i can see the logic of taking the service hit and just selling the bike cheap and walking away .
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You think they are coming out close to ahead on that exchange?
  10. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not even close, its a expensive bike and the sale price for bikes with out the desmo done and at that mileage is rock bottom and they still take forever to sell. the owners are getting hosed.
  11. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Couple of thoughts worth what you are paying for them....

Look for the bike you want rather the one you don't especially with costs being so close. There really are no bad bikes nowadays and only you can decide which one really calls to you. Once "must haves" are in place the spec sheet means little when I make my final call. I would talk to the dealer to confirm status of belt replacement as internet sites can be a great resourse , but no poster has skin in the game. Just my opinion, but there is no way a bike as you describe would have belt issues. They would be checked anyways during service intervals and likewise if I had a belt show wear/degradation on a 2020 model in 2 years I would change it rather not as it is supposed to last longer. Heat and mechanical stress as well as cya determine the replacement interval. Without beating a dead horse, if it's a deal killer, ask the dealer to include a belt change "at cost" during whatever service makes you happy, inspect as is prudent and be happy riding her or simply move on, for me I would be more than confident in the new left over stock of the 1200 really was the one I wanted. That said, the 950 looks to be a great bike too.

Good luck!
  12. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    I started digging into my '11 MTS 1200S yesterday for my first belt change and valve clearance inspection. By first I mean MY first time doing it (on any Duc). So far I have just stripped the bodywork off and removed the belt covers while I wait for some tools to arrive. If anyone is interested I can post my progress here since this seems to be a hot topic. So far im into it for about $240 ($115 for the belts, the rest is tools).
    Achtung likes this.
  13. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which tools did you buy? I've done belts and checked valves on air-cooled 2-valvers (never needed to adjust a Ducati valve, yet (touch wood)). Very little body work to remove on them. Was not a difficult job.
  14. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Engine turning tool, castle nut socket, cam wheel locker, closing shim measuring tool. Got everything from Desmo Times. Unfortunately on the MTS 1200 you have to remove the entire "beak" and associated fairings. I will ultimately remove the forks etc so I can service those as well. I am using The Red Baron's Ultimate Ducati Desmo Manual and Desmoquattro Maintenance Manual for guidance.
  15. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Turning the engine is pretty easy with the spark plugs removed and the bike in 6th gear.
  16. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am pretty much set on a 950S 2019/2020 in white silk. so just shopping around. It first desmo belt is 18k so i think i will be okay. i might do both over a winter on my own.
    bobw likes this.
  17. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Sweet choice, Dealers are dealing like crazy around here so good luck and post photos!
  18. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my top box won’t open. I stuffed 2 helmets in there, and now here I am. Any advice?
  19. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine acts up on occasion. Just keep pushing on the button and smacking it a bit and it usually lets the button pop back out. Put some down pressure on the lid in case there is pressure on the lock.
  20. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    yup, thanks. taking it off and sitting on it, and then fucking with a long screwdriver did the trick. it certainly isn't givi quality. sad.
    SMIFFXC likes this.