Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for you all. What types of tools/tool bag do you think is needed to carry on the Multi? I've been away from riding the street since the early 80's and even then I was young and dumb so I'll admit, I really do not know what's best to carry.

Any help is appreciated.

2014 1200s Touring
  2. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Naai jou ma Supporter

Oddometer:
    your duc came, or should have come, with a tire repair kit. check it, make sure you have those little canisters with compressed air, and glue. I've repaired tires twice in the last year on New York City highways. the last time was with my 13 year old kid as pillion, on the onramp to the Whitestone bridge, where the shoulder was 3 feet wide, so no car could stop and help - even a cop zoomed by, without stopping (ASSHOLE!). that kit is a fucking life saver. make sure you know how it works.
  3. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll need to replace it with something similar. This is what's in the bag. 20201006_175408.jpg
  4. goodhorsey

Oddometer:
    You can buy a tire repair kit at any Autozone. But be sure to carry at least three little compressed air canisters. They’ll fill a tire well enough to get you to a gas station.
  5. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated.
    goodhorsey likes this.
  6. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get yourself a socket for the rear axle nut and carry it with you, especially if you travel. You may find yourself in a situation far from a Ducati dealer and the rear wheel must be removed. If you provide the socket any motorcycle shop can change your tire for you.
    Azturbomini and Baggi'tard like this.
  7. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    YES. Been there done that with my old air-cooled..
    Azturbomini likes this.
  8. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    Just ordered one $35 . Thank you!
  9. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    If any of you have looked for a driver's backrest for our bikes, you have found out just like I have that no one manufacturers anything for a Multi.
    To me is kinda silly that no one does being people do put a lot of hwy miles on their bikes and I for one have back issues, so for me one would be welcomed.

*Not my bike but anyone interested? ducatimpp1260%20full%20bike.JPG
  10. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    Another pic ducatimpp1260%20closeup%20bike.jpg
  11. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Honestly. I don't see how your back would ever touch that thing...
  13. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    It'll be close. I may have to either change out to a taller set of bars similar to the Pro Taper Adventure spec bars I had on my Tiger or a set of Rox pivot risers or set back risers. The Rox risers would be the easiest and probably cheapest.
    After looking at the bars again, I'm not sure the Pro Tapers are that much taller.
  14. goodhorsey

Oddometer:
    For those of you with 2015-2017 Multi's - there's a light switch on the handle bars for fog lights. how easy is it to install non-ducats fog lights and connect them to that switch? the Ducati ones are almost $500 (lol no)
  15. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    FYI, you may have a hard time finding bars to fit the "width" of all the crap on the Multi bars. I tried fitting my favorite Pro Taper bars (same ones used on something like 8 or more bikes) and because of the width of the stuff, it just wouldn't fit. Main culprit is the handguard/lever perch width.
    Azturbomini likes this.
  16. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    Yeah I looked at the stock bars again and you're right, the bar ends are really long. Ideally I'd like to get the set back done with a set of bars because I think it would look a little cleaner but the Rox Risers might offer more versatility but also could offer too much height. It's one of those things I've tried to visualize while measuring on the bike and I just don't know, and won't until I get risers installed,
  17. AZBMWRider

AZBMWRider n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 Multi with 86,000 miles. Most put on by the original owner. The rear master cylinder was recalled and changed out at 13,000. Always maintained at Ducati store in Scottsdale and brakes bleed right before I bought. The rears worked for about 500 miles mushy and then gone.
    I am having it worked on right now by Tom at Toms Italian Tune in Mesa. Nice guy and he striped down the master cylinder and it’s being rebuilt. I also bought a heat shield (Colorado rider makes them- pm me and will give you my number to talk) Tom is installing now. Much written on the rear brake issues and I hope to sort them in the next week once the cylinder rebuilt. Great bike- I do a 100 mile loop out to Saguaro Lake to clear the mind every month or so. I’m coming from many Bikes and lately BMWs and just love this bike for short rides out and back. Enjoy and hit me up if you’d like to discuss
    Azturbomini likes this.
  18. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw an article and a video about that issue. The person claims that using a high wet- boil point racing brake fluid is the only cure. The usual brake fluid is rated at around 300 deg and the racing fluid is at around 500 deg F. It is needed as the reservoir and ABS unit are in close proximity to the cat, hence hi temp. Please let us know the results of your efforts. I am planning on getting that brake fluid and exchanging. Please post a link to the heat shield.
    Link to the fluid- https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...974B3928025848700493DD4/$File/BPXE-BGV7RW.pdf

Ishai
  19. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    My Multi (2011) had several rear master cylinders replaced by original owner as well, all warranty. Now it has a slip-on Arrow (PO had put on a MIVV) exhaust, no cat. No issue with brake boiling or worn out master cylinders since the catalyst was removed, and that's been more than the 2 years since I've owned it.
  20. AZBMWRider

AZBMWRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes - that is a great video on the racing brake fluid. The maker of the heat shield told me to buy the Castrol 600 to use and I bought for the mechanic. I couldn’t stomach the $70 cost of the Castrol SRF. That’s good news about the Arrow slip on as an option.