1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 01xj

01xj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will give that a shot. Bike is still new to me and I suppose I got a little tunnel vision here on an easy issue.
  2. dwenglis

dwenglis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    like others have said you need to bleed it. Mine 2014 needs a clutch bleed about every year and a half and it starts with the symptom of difficulty finding neutral and ends up not not working at all. Almost always find a air bubble at the lever bleed point.
    01xj likes this.
  3. 01xj

01xj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, will try starting there. The dealer said they "prepped" it for sale but I don't think anything other than an oil change was done.
  4. goodhorsey

goodhorsey Naai jou ma Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is sad that nobody has input. :(
  5. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has never happened to me but you have the newer engine. I hope you get it figured out.
    goodhorsey likes this.
  6. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    You probably need the factory diagnostics to figure that one out. Something in the fuel mapping isn't working based on that? Or whatever tool you used to tune your bike if it's aftermarket.
  7. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Oberon slave here too

Clutch is soft after under 1000 miles. No sign of leaks, so I suspect pinholes in the master. It was replaced 30,000 miles ago — probably due again.
  8. goodhorsey

Oddometer:
    thanks, yea, I think I have to take it into the dealer - I bought the bike at 3,400 miles out of someone's garage who went on 4 once a year long trips on it. I don't think he did any custom mapping or tooling, and I certainly didn't/wouldn't know how to. I ride daily year round, and that problem's only occurred a handful of times, in hot weather, so up till now it hasn't been an issue. but summer's coming.
  9. 01xj

01xj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the help. Finally got my clutch bled and the clutch master cylinder. Makes a huge difference and was easy to find neutral today. I needed an excuse to buy a mityvac too which is a great tool to keep hanging around.
    dwenglis likes this.
  10. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    I’m in the market for an upgrade to my 2010 DL650. It’s my 3rd Strom because they do what I need quite well, even if they are underpowered and pretty sedate.

The 2015/2016 Mutistrada is at the top of my list as my next bike, based on all the things I have read about it. Until yesterday, I hadn’t seen one in person and have been doing lots of reading to narrow my choices down. I like to ride twisty backroads and commute daily and do long trips with my wife on the back, so this bike looks like the perfect upgrade... except how it actually looks.

Im okay with how the middle and back of the bike looks. To me the front end is really odd looking and I mean no offence to those who like how their bikes look. I also don’t like the look of the older stock VStroms too, even though I own one.

I hear so much about how the Multistrada’s are such a treat to ride, but when I saw it in person for the first time yesterday, I was turned off by the appearance of that front end.

The other bikes in my list are the 2017 SDGT, the 2016 S1000xr or the 2016 1290 Adventure, but I truly think the Multistrada is the best fit for my style of riding. I know I won’t be looking at the bike when I’m enjoying riding it, but I do have to look at it every time I walk up to it.

Am I the only one that thinks this, or do you all like the styling of your bikes? Any aftermarket things that people do to their Multistrada’s to make hem look more appealing?

I did a fair bit to my DL650 and it looks and rides quite different from a stock bike.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
  11. JoWhee

JoWhee Deviant but not dangerous.

Oddometer:
    My '16 Multi wasn't even really on my radar when I was looking to replace me super tenere. I'm an hour from Ottawa and Montreal and I went looking for a KTM 1290 super ADV. None in Ottawa, 2 out of 3 dealers in the montreal area had none, and the third had their head so far up their tail pipe I walked out. They tried to sell me a 2 year old demonstrator for 3 grand more than a new one which was on promotion at the same dealership.
    I couldn't find a S1000xr in my price range within 400km either.
    So knowing that I like the KTM, the Multistrada is a supermodel when comparing it in the looks department. I like the beak better than the previous model which looked a little like a hooked nose. For me a motorcycle is a want more than a need, and if you don't like the looks, stickers or a paint job won't change that. What about a DL1000?
  12. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Since I've been on the V-Stroms for 13 years now, I want to try something a little nicer, more refined and just a different brand altogether really. Nothing against the Strom, it's just a big world out there. I've pretty much decided it's going to to be the Multistrada or the 1290SA. I think the Multi is the better bike for my riding style.

I did see a used Multi in Ottawa area which is a 2013 model and in the black. I like it much better for looks and would buy it if it didn't have the 50k already on it.
    [​IMG]
    SMIFFXC likes this.
  13. badge502

badge502 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue when the bike got hot... So, when you fill up your gas tank, do you fill it to the brim? Or, do you fill it up to the filler neck? If you're filling it up with as much gas as you can, it might have damaged the evap cannister. I was "filling it up", and when my bike got hot, it would die, immediately start again, and then die again when the rpm's got low, like when I was about to stop at a stop sign, or pull in a driveway. I spoke with a mechanic at a bike shop, and he says that happens when you overfill the gas tank, and the gas drains into the evap cannister. YMMV.
  14. goodhorsey

Oddometer:
    wow, that's interesting, and good to know. thanks for posting! I usually fill until the top of the tank, never into the neck. I'll keep an eye on that.
  15. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the same color/model I have. I love it, suits my taste and love the matte paint as they don't show all of the swirls. This bike came standard with two very large side cases and a top case.
    shanekingsley likes this.
  16. Wolf_ADV

Wolf_ADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at a 17 Multistrada 1200s…just under 12000 miles..top case (which I really don’t need) and side case…tires are good up to date dealer serviced.what’s fair market value? Thanks!
  17. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you're not 3000 miles/1 year away from the "expensive" service. Not sure on those motors but the previous ones required all new belts at 15,000K or 5 years. And your looking at $1500 or more depending on your area. If it were me I would ask a dealer what is required at 15K and negotiate accordingly.
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  18. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    The 2017 valve adjustment/check is every 18,000 miles so you are 6000 miles away from that, but yeah, its a big service.

As a data point, I paid 12500 for a 2017 enduro with the touring pack (side bags, heated grips..) with 5000 miles. The enduro model never really sold well so this may not be a direct comparison but I would say with 12000 miles around 11500 would be a good buy.

And don't discount the top case. In around town duty taking off the side bags and leaving the top case is a great option.
    dr. jones, quackPOT and Wolf_ADV like this.