1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Ducati Multistrada 1260 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Bikeaddict, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Bikeaddict

Bikeaddict Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer:
    More than a dream bike, let's hear about the new Multistrada 1260 from the ones that will eventually enjoy the ride and the ownership. Pics and impressions please!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bobw and JustKip like this.
  2. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates

Oddometer:
    Own a '17 1200S, did a test ride on the 1260. I was a skeptic going in, worried about the geometry changes and the impact on handling. Came out a believer, though I'm not ready to take the depreciation hit on my bike and switch right now. While the handling is a bit slower than the 1200, it still is quicker than most. The 1260 motor makes torque quite well down low. I didn't flog the bike as it was new, but I assume it will have a similar rush above 6K.

Still happy to have a GSw and Multi to choose from in the garage, but the 1260 edges the Multi more towards the "one bike to do most everything" title. Still wouldn't do a ton of dirt on it, but most adv bikes don't go there anyway...
  3. guitarplyr

guitarplyr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently own a '16 1200 Enduro Touring and got the chance to ride a 1260S touring. As nostatic said I was a skeptic of the geometry changes, specifically the longer wheel base and long swingers, but the motorcycle handles very well. The engine seems to have more useable power especially in the 3-5K RPM range, but higher up feels very similar to the 1200 DVT. Currently don't have the space or desire to take a hit with the Enduro and a 959 Panigale in the garage but my dealer also had a Pikes Peak come in and it is beautiful, could be a cool addition down the road..... :loco
    Suruppak, bobw and Bikeaddict like this.
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I'd ride one.

Sadly my employment abroad and rediculous US importation rules mean that my bike bug is kept under wraps. No buying $23,000 dollar PPs when you KNOW you have to sell it in a year or two.

My single spark is well sorted, it'll have to do for a while.
    bobw, BobcatSig and Bikeaddict like this.
  5. iGalileo

iGalileo n00b

Oddometer:
    I've singed the papers should have a 1260 S in dark gray next week, will share my impressions. :clap I'm coming from a Triumph Tiger 800 XC, so it will be interesting to compare.
  6. nostatic

Oddometer:
    I had an XRx 800 for about 12K miles before switching to a Caponord (briefly), and eventually the GSw and Multi pair I have now. Totally different beast than the Tiger. Way more motor, way more competent when pushed (particularly loaded and/or 2-up). Tiger is a nice bike. 1260 Multi is a different league.
    Bikeaddict likes this.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! As the previous person said, it's in a league of its own. I was out looking at the one below today. I have a '13 Multi GT, and I can say nothing really rides or handles like the Multi when you're canyon carving. I really like my GS, but the thrill is in riding the Ducati. It corners like it's on rails and the power band is intoxicating. Once I test ride the DVT 1260, stick a fork in me! :ricky

Attached Files:

woodlandstiger, bobw and Bikeaddict like this.
  8. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Never touch one of the super nakeds if you think a Multi is unparalleled in the handling department, its slow compared to a Super Duke or Tuono (specially the Tuono)
    MUDHWY and Escape Orion like this.
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have but to me those are half hour bikes and they stretched your arms!! ! :lol3 I can ride the MTS all day.
    Griff_33, Wolf_ADV and Cypress like this.
  10. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I can spend more time (and at a higher pace) on my Super Duke than my Multistrada, its perfectly fit to me, and ALL of the controls are lower energy. Can't haul the little lady and a 100 pounds of shit on the SD-R though so its a tools for the job type deal.

If it weren't for my odd ball living situation I would have a a SD-GT (or maybe 1290 SAS) and a Tuono.

But I could be stuck with two worse bikes, that is for sure.
  11. Bikeaddict

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to read your views and especially a comparison between old and new. Looking forward!
  12. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look what followed me home this weekend
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TMORAN, Wolf_ADV, MUDHWY and 12 others like this.
  13. Optimus Prime

Oddometer:
    Replaces my S1000R, which replaced my R1200RT. Best of both worlds IMHO.

I was really looking for the following that my S1000R didn't provide:
    • Better on bike storage (I ordered the Urban kit with the Trunk)
    • Better 2up capability. The seat and longer wheelbase really make this possible
    • Better suspension and ability to deal with the third-world roads we have in San Francisco. I consistently felt like I was going to destroy the S1000R on certain roads in the city. Beyond just the improvement of a Multi-style suspension, the Ohlins is unreal. I've never felt this planted on terrible roads before. Just an absolute dream.
    I spent 4 or 5 hours on her yesterday, including 2up on Highway 1 and this is just another level of awesome. The only real issue I have is that the throttle gets snatchy down low under low load, but I'll figure that out. The electronics and dash and lighting are at a whole level beyond what I've ever experienced. I'm very impressed.
    Griff_33, motocopter, bobw and 3 others like this.
  14. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Use more revs ?- my 1200S is happiest at 4,000+ rpm. I'd guess the 1260 can tolerate a bit less, as the Diavel seemed to be OK down closer to 3,000 rpm. What rpm are you feeling the snatchiness ?
  15. Optimus Prime

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah, that's the answer. It was under 3k. Downhill on 15 mph curves, so just no load or speed. The only reason I mentioned it was because the s1000r was so perfectly fueled I got spoiled. For the most part I was riding the 1260 at 4k and above.
    bobw likes this.
  16. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Congrats.
  17. nostatic

Oddometer:
    I only had a brief test ride on the 1260, but have about 8K miles on the 1200 DVT with full Termi system. I find the engine to be a "minus 2" in my oddly CDO mindset. That is a calculation for what gear I think I should be in relative to speed. What that means is for a given speed, divide by 10 (or just drop the last digit) and then subtract 2. So if I'm going 40mph, I likely should be in 2nd gear, and probably stay there until I hit 50mph.

Yes, I'm nuts, but you have a lot of time riding to think up stupid things. By contrast, the GSw was a "minus 0" bike, and the KTM is seeming to be a "minus 1".

That's a long way of saying the Multi (at least the 1200) prefers being higher in the rev range, and the real meat of the motor is from about 5-10K. I suspect the 1260 slides the left side of that down a bit, but probably not happy before 3K.
    Griff_33, rlsjodin and bobw like this.
  18. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    That illustrates the difference between a sporty, 1260cc sporty twin and a 1000cc inline four.

Glad to hear you're loving it. I'm keeping my eye on this new bike.
    roookie1 likes this.
  19. Bikeaddict

Oddometer:
    She's a stunner! I'd buy the Pikes Peak version, love the colour scheme!
    sleepyOwl likes this.
  20. Optimus Prime

Oddometer:
    Ok, here's a noob question.

I've never had a full Ohlins suspension (or anything even close) can someone point me to a good place to read about setup? I'd like to dial it in, and understand how to adjust it for single-up sport, touring, 2up, track, etc.