Ducati Multistrada 1260 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Bikeaddict, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has been fine, 2020 1260
    RichBMW likes this.
  2. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just goes to show, getting one of the last few of a model is the best way to go, as all the bugs will have been ironed out. As tempting as the new V4 will be, it makes sense to wait for it to be out for a while before jumping ship.
    rick danger and KiwiKurt like this.
  3. r0man

r0man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Test rode 1260 S today. What an engine, pulls like a train, was really impressed. Unless I am able to fit myself into KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT, this is going to be my next ride. While the overal impression was positive and much better than my takeaway from my test ride of 2020 BMW S1000XR, there were a couple of open questions.
    • I kept sliding onto the tank, perhaps some adhesive can help me grip the tank better, but it seems like the seat needs to be replaced.
    • I usualy ride on the balls of my feet and my left heel kept pushing on the center stand.
    • TFT dash vibrated a lot, not sure if it was loose or something. Perhaps it's just a heads up for a downshift.
    Anyone else has experienced these nuances? For the reference I am 6', 34 inseam.
  4. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it. Re your points, I replaced my seats for the Touratech comfort seats. They’re much better than the stock seats, and eliminate the sliding into the tank. The centre stand has been mentioned before, and is a bit of a pain, but you get used to it. And the vibrating dash is the bikes way of telling you to change gear!

It’s interesting seeing your comment about the 2020 XR, as I used to have one when they first came out, so haven’t ridden the latest one yet. What didn’t you like about the 2020 bike?
  5. r0man

r0man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how much educational my feedback will be as it seems it boils down to me leaning to two cylinders vs four. Some details, first of all, I rode the XR at a guided tour on busier roads with speeds below 50 mph. I had the Multistrada to myself and could ride it at a variety of conditions - from nice twisties to a highway - at my own pace. The XR also had a low seat. So my takeaways from the demo rides:
    • I liked suspension on both bikes with probably a bit of preference to Ducati, less bouncy in Road/Touring mode and not as harsh but still compliant at Dynamic/Sport mode.
    • Front break on the XR felt noticeably sharper, however I would not be concerned with the breaking power of Multistrada.
    • I felt more cramped on the XR, the seat was not pleasant at all, the bike felt too small to me. The Multistrada was not as roomy as my GS but better enough, especially when I could stay further from the tank.
    • The same issue with the center stand on both bikes, but by the end of the ride I could adjust to the Multistrada, it was not the case with the XR, not sure how this thing was tested. BMW just suggested to take it off :-)
    • Power was great on both bikes, but the Multistrada just made me smile, it had great torque and sound. XR was just probably not for me, I missed the pul at low RPM. I test rode R1250R right after it and liked the new boxer engine more. At the end of the day I had a chance to compare the XR to the new S1000RR and even in Rain mode (it was a true downpour) it was more appealing to me.
    • BMW dash was superior, the TFT on Ducati was functional but had no wow effect on me.
    • I liked rear break more on the XR, I could not properly reach the rear break lever on Ducati.
    • I was surprised with the wind protection of the Multistrada, the screen did not work for me, but the fairing kept my torso protected. It was not bad on the XR either.
    I had a similar experience with S1000XR in 2017, I went with R1200GS that time. Seems that twin and triple engines are what caters to me.
  6. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the summary, that’s interesting to read. I found the XR was a screamer, egging you on to ride fast. The Multi is much more grown up, but as fast.
    hypersports likes this.
  7. r0man

r0man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can agree to this comparison. Considering that my test ride on the XR was capped at lower speeds I just might have not got its true potential.
  8. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @r0man I'm 6' with 34" inseam too. Like Rich I came off of the SAS, wanted something more sporting. I've read about guys not fitting the tank on the SDGT but it's a complete non issue for me, even with my suit on and the knee armor. Absolutely still in love with the bike, truly amazing. That said, in this genre some say there's only the XR or the SDGT but no way you can leave out the Multi. Really some amazing choices to be had with today's bikes.
    KiwiKurt and r0man like this.
  9. r0man

r0man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, great options indeed. I am trying to find a demo SDGT to test it till the season ends.
  10. msxx

msxx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My reference: Owned a Multistrada 2014-2017, and now riding a Superduke GT 2017-...

Last summer I made a ride on both the XR and the Multistrada 950S and 1260S-GT

Your takeaways are great, the difference is very much in preference and maybe body. I gave the XR a chance, not thinking about buying one for a second. Mainly because I love the 2 cilinder grunt. After riding the XR I was actually confused. I really loved the seating position because it helped me with the feel for the bike, the steering, the direct feel of everything despite being far more compliant to the road issues compared to my Superduke GT

Centerstand: those bikes are not made for riders with only the front foot on the pegs... unfortunately. When that is part of your riding, then forget about the centerstand.

I am surprised no one mentions the clutch? It was the only part I had to get used to at the XR, I had a number of 'not so smooth' gearchanges. Something I didn't experience at all at my previous bikes, or the Ducati's. The gearbox itself was flawless, it's just about the clutch combined with my timing. As a result I started to use the quickshifter, which was perfect, but still..

Sportiness (feel, seating position, not talking about speed in straight line or cornering speed):
    1) Superduke GT
    2) XR
    3) Multistrada 1260
    4) Multistrada 950

Comfort/touring/all day riding:
    1) Multistrada 950/1260
    2) XR
    3) Superduke GT (at a distance, it's a hard ride compared to the Multi's)

Engine
    That's a difficult one... I loved my Multistrada engine (non-DVT) for being so hungry for RPM. The grunt was ok, the midrange was very ok and the way it wanted to rev and was giving more power and feel and engine torque braking a high RPM, I loved it
    The KTM ... I had to get used to that engine, mainly because it's not as hungry and it runs 'heavier'. But oh boy that grunt is insane. And after a while you are used to that and the engine grows on you. When I change ride with a XR or even a Multi 1260... I am not impressed with the grunt/midrange at all. Especially for the XR.
    But the hungry feel for RPM's is intoxicating at the XR and little bit less for the Multi as well.

1) Multi 1260 (grunt + hungry for RPM)
    2) KTM (grunt, grunt, grunt)
    3) XR (very flexible, less grunt, flying through the rev range)

The 950 is not a match, the midrange is very decent, comparable to the XR. But it's flat from 6-7K RPM onwards, the XR wants to start at 6-7K RPM... An engine should 'live' and being flat for the last 3000 RPM is a dissapointment for me.

Electronics:
    Not talking about features, dashboards and that kind of thing. Only about IMU, ABS and TC
    1) Multi
    2) XR
    6) KTM

The TC and ABS on the KTM are simply not up to the task. The TC works fine when the bike is in upright position, really great! But when you want to accelerate when still in the middle of the corner, it simply doesn't allow you to go beyond a certain amount of throttle. The problem is 'that certain amount' is less then I am feeling is ok. And the throttle is simply 'cut off' at that point, at the time the bike is on less leaning angle it suddenly gives you all the power you asked for. The first time out there... it's terrifying. Now I've adjusted my riding style up to the point it allows me to and it won't surpise me anymore. But it doesn't allow much...
    As a result > Most of the capable KTM riders in my environment just turn the TC off.
    Then ABS, the same kind of story basically. It doesn't allow you to brake as hard as your programmed mind expects (programmed while riding other bikes). Unless... you turn the ABS of or set it on SuperMoto. The reason is that it just doesn't allow the rear to lose grip. So when the rear is coming up due to braking, it just takes away the front stopping power.

That said, I ride a 2017 model and the software has been updated by KTM in 2019, it has improved since then. But not much.
    This is the main reason why the bike will go in 2021. And it's a shame because it runs fine, not a single guarantee issue... and it's mainly a shame because the Ducati and KTM have the same hardware (Bosch IMU, Brembo M50, etc.)

I will wait for the V4 and have a look where it fits in in this comparison. Then I will decide on XR/MTS1260/MTSV4 :-)
  11. ddddd

ddddd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about the new gen 3 SDGT, the gen 3 SD has vastly improved everything including electronics
  12. msxx

msxx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indeed, but no news yet
  13. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great insight. How much track vs street are you riding?
  14. msxx

msxx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only spirited street riding
    hypersports likes this.
  15. donaldbyrd

donaldbyrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. it's fine so far. 2020, as well.
  16. donaldbyrd

donaldbyrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    #dumbquestionalert. Trying to understand the difference between pairing a cardo to my '20 Enduro, versus to my phone, or both. The bike has a phone pairing option, plus two additional bluetooth pairing options called "Rider 1" and Rider 2". Both are "intercom" features. What's that for and how is it different from pairing directly to my phone?
  17. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    So fellow inmates,
    I own 2016 1200 Enduro with roughly 24,000 miles (39,800 kilometers) in Canada and a new 2019 1260 Enduro with almost 5,000 kilometers. And I had a 2018 1260 S Touring (almost a GT) that was mine for six months and traded to get the new 2019 Enduro two months ago...
    The 2016 was occasionally "pokey" at indicating proper distance to empty as a digital amount but gauge was always perfect. The 2018 was nearly perfect and the 2019 is great at telling me accurate numbers all the time. Never had a failure or need to replace components. I run "top tier" fuel and I use fuel cleaners regularly as well. I find that the Yamaha "Ring Free" product is great for this stuff. Also use products that help keep the "corn fuel" from separating during storage periods.
  18. Endrju_b

Endrju_b n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All
    Any alternatives for Ducati topbox (enduro 1260)? Ori cost like made of gold so I need to find something which is close I design with side panniers
    Thx
  19. Saimon87

Saimon87 n00b

Oddometer:
    Good evening,
    I've recently bought a 1260 Grand Tour and while i await delivery i was looking at options to protect the fairings in case of a drop from a standstill. I've got in contact with Heed for their crashbars but unfortunately they interfere with the light brackets used by Ducati to mount the Led fog lights. They do have an optional bracket to mount the lights directly to their crashbars though, so it might still be an option. Has anyone tried these bars? I'm not a huge fan of the SW-motech style ones but not many options out there.
    I was also looking at the bobbins from Evotech, but although quite wide, from the picture on their website they don't seem wide enough to protect the fairing in case of a drop. Anyone with them installed who can confirm this?

Thank you
  20. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Imo skip the touratech boxes and go givi trekker out ack. None are “cheap” but the TOB’s are great boxes. Had them on my bmw and got the factory touratech boxes for my ktm (same as ducati ones really) the givi was better