Ducati Multistrada 950 off road?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by waderman, Feb 3, 2020.

1. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southtrails19 sorry to hear. As said That Sucks. I have downed my bike twice on pavement at low speed, crawling. Once in NYC avoiding car in front of me that jammed on the brakes. No damage, engine crash bars had a scuff and small scuff to hand guard which I sand out with 400 paper. Second time on muddy pile of leaves in a parking lot practicing jumping over a berm in the landscaping. big scuffs to engine crash bars and hand guard other side of bike. Off road I usually just lay it down easy from getting caught off balance. Added Bark busters and am thinking about frame sliders. Ibex makes a skid plate for about $160.00 looks very nice. It allows a little more clearance then the Ducati plate. So far all good reviews. Takes a little effort to self install. I avoid baby heads and very rocky trails. https://www.biketeile-service.de/en...exengineguardblackducatimultistrada95017.html
  2. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    Capital working MTS950S 71763988_893041764431207_1343892502487109099_n(1).jpg
  3. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Niiiice pic aj!!
    Griff_33 likes this.
  4. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    I've had a MTS950 and was happy with most things, but got 'bored' with the power at some point for spirited road riding (much to the detriment of the regular MTS950 topic :D)).

I'm entertaining the thought of going for a MTS950S and to tailor it for some lighter European TET riding as well as some tarmac mountain touring.

What would be the obvious ways to make the bike lighter? I'm thinking about Lithium ion battery, full exhaust system.. but what else can be done to get some proper weight decrease?
  5. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-3-25_11-18-53.png upload_2020-3-25_11-19-2.png

After stripping the bike down to replace the gas tank cover fairing and the turn signal (which plugs in under the fuel tank) I added HEED crash bars with storage bags, I felt like these crash bars offered the most protection. I'm still awaiting putting on the Ducati skid plate after I receive a new header pipe that I damaged.
  6. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    If money is no object there are many carbon fiber parts. Cast wheels are 7lbs lighter then spoke rims.
    Mine still scares me every now and then in close proximity to others when hooligan-ing. But yes it is easy to flatten the throttle going through the gears and on any straightaway, without any concern.
    I have felt your point. To which I was considering the 1260. What stops me is I would like to play with the 950 off road more, and the 1260 is not for that, and 1260 enduro is just to big for me to feel comfortable off road.
    So I will hang out with the 950mts for a little bit longer.
    They are sweet bikes for all round everything.
    danketchpel likes this.
  7. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Southtrails19 I like the idea of those bags on the crash bars!
    @ajy1w I'd love to get a set of carbon fiber wheels! Easy way to quicken the bike in acceleration and handling . Plus less likely to break a cast wheel (mine are cast)... Hopefully the cost will come down in a year or so. Btw which boots are you wearing? I like the sole isn't think like an adv.
  8. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    Boots are Alpinestars Tech 8.
    Photo is Capital rider, in Columbia not me.
  9. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I was going to say you have adjusted quite well off road. And I didn't know New Jersey has such mountains!
  10. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    I travel and ride several weeks of the year in other countries.
    New Jersey has some and upstate New York is in my back yard about 11/2 hour ride. The problem here is we are not allowed to transverse on most of it. Towards the North West end of the state by my brothers some good off road in the hills of New Jersey, and South West mid state to south we have a lot of trails somewhat sandy.
    If its all rock am not a fan and find another way.
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very much starting to lean towards, in fact prefer, the smaller/lighter, but suitably powerful range of bike. Yes, the liter plus bikes with 150 hp rip on those long pavement straights, but most of the rest of the time the extra power is wasted and the extra weight is always felt.

No doubt my Sport Classic 1000 has way more torque and power than my Desert Sled 800, but in the end the Desert Sled gets more seat time because it's a much more well rounded bike. I've ridden a few MTS1200s and find the MTS950 attractive because it's more of a sweet middle ground. I'm just not sure I can justify a MTS950 at this time, maybe in the future it would make sense for me. In the mean time I'm following the MTS950 threads.
    ajy1w and Griff_33 like this.
  12. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    After having a KTM950 S, 990, 1190 and an Africa Twin I tried the a 950s I really liked it. It is capable off road but it is not on par with your 1090R. In my opinion there is off tarmac and off road. Off tarmac the 950 is fine but if you are taking it off road it for sure needs hand guards and a skid plate. First time I went of road, and nothing to gnarly I knocked the header off the mid pipe so I added an Altrider skid plate, I don't think they make them anymore though. Loved the bike on the road, but I am back on a 1090R, wish I could have kept them both, hope this helps
  13. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can see the little hand guards and skidplate I added but for serious off road you would need to do a lot more there are lots of expensive vulnerable parts I later added heed engine guards
    IMG_20190408_140149.jpg
  14. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an F850gs GS that I really enjoy but I keep thinking about trying the multi-Strada 950 S now that you can get cruise control. I think the motor will be more fun on the road and I spend probably 70% of the time on the road. Thoughts? Any issues with it?
  15. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't ridden the F850GS so can't offer a first hand comparison but on paper, at least, the Multi 950 S should be a better street bike. It has ~17 more hp, more street friendly 19 inch front , wider rear tire, bigger front disk, more advanced suspension. The F850GS should be better off road. It has a 21 inch front, higher ground clearance, more suspension travel. They both have similar ranges, despite the BMW's smaller fuel tank. The F850GS's engine is reportedly smoother, due to it's counterbalance shafts. I can tell you the Multistrada 950 S handles great and is blast in the twisties. Handles forest service roads without any problem, though fitment of a more durable skid plate and hand guards is recommended.
    danketchpel likes this.
  16. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I think the Multi would be a closer match to the F750GS than the 850. They are more similar in concept.
  17. SEAWOLF607

SEAWOLF607 n00b

Oddometer:
    This past Summer I test rode a 950S really loved it. Handled great and has enough power when you twist the throttle something actually, happens. However, I made the mistake of test riding the 1260S as well and boy was that motor fun. I might buy a Multistrada in the future as they left a very positive feel after riding.
  18. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    The 750GS is nothing close to the Multi 950. And the 850GS is fairly close to the 950. The Multi 950 outshines the 850GS anywhere on pavement. Mulit 950 is much more comfortable for long rides and offers much more excitement on road. Off road the 850GS is clearly a better choice.
    750GS is a waste of time and money, its a dog on the road. Just my two cents.
    Griff_33 likes this.
  19. Griff_33

Griff_33 1811R Supporter

Oddometer:
    Total agreement here @ajy1w the 500 lbs is not noticeable on my MS950. It loves everything you throw at her above ~2800 revs and climbs very nicely there after.

I also agree with @devildogg on the protection measures. The billet hand guards are a super addition and I added the water pump protection as it hangs out there pretty good. I still need to get my Heed Bars mounted...:dirtdog
    ajy1w likes this.
  20. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up. Heed Crash bars do not work with the Ducati skid plate, I removed the Heed bars as a skid plate was more important and added Ducati crash bars. I've ridden up tobias peak and more in the sequoia national forest with Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and the new set up worked quite well.
    Griff_33 and ajy1w like this.