Ducati Multistrada 950 off road?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by waderman, Feb 3, 2020.

1. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a set of the crash bars (Part Nbr 96780561C) and installed them this weekend. No instructions provided of course. I was able to track down enough info on the web to get them installed though. There wasn't a nylon washer provided in the kit to go between the crash bar and the bash plate bracket so I sourced a rubber washer. I already had the beefier engine support rod installed, from when I did the bash plate, so I didn't have to change that out.

CB Install Side.png
  2. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the parts diagram and part of the install instructions in case anyone needs it.

Multistrada Crash Bar Parts Diagram1.png Multistrada Crash Bar Parts Diagram2.png Multistrada 1200 Crash Bar Installation1.png Multistrada 1200 Crash Bar Installation2.png
  3. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great bike on gravel and hard packed dirt. Not so good in soft sand but with a bit of muscle it’s rideable. Forgot the Conti’s they are old news. Anakee Wild radial is the way to go. I ride my 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon, the granddaddy of the Multistrada most places I ride my KTM790R. Recently a new member of our riding group turned up on his multi and wanted to learn to ride gravel. First thing I got him to do was fit Anakee Wilds and off we went. He has improved amazingly and now really opening the bike up to work as it should, drift and slide that rear, spin that tyre up, that’s where the fun is on big adventure bikes, drifting at 140 plus on the gravel, feet on the pegs, digging drains out of everything corner.
  4. Phip

Phip n00b

Oddometer:
    I test rode it a few times and have ridden a mate's S twice and it is really something. I have been riding mainly Ducati, Suzuki and KTM for 40 + years and I am impressed with its balance. The stock pirellis are not so good off road on technical and mud, stock wheels are way too heavy, she needs a retune to give you low end roll on I think, nice akra exhaust, filters and a few other items can push you above the 120 bhp mark with 109 at the wheel (that is all you need I think), and she doesn't drink too badly, and adding an aux tank seems easy under the seat. I have been hmm and arrrring over this compared to the 890 R coming. I keep my bikes for 5-10 years, so will spend quite a bit making them light. Wheels, swing arm, exhaust, Titanium nut package, and some other unnecessary items can drop her down 37 kgs apparently, so dry close to that gorgeous figure of 165, which for me being 6-3 and well built is about as light as like for long journeys. The KTM is better balanced but not a Ducati. The feel of the 950s is just seemingly almost perfect whereas the 790 and maybe the 890 flat seat you off the back and always feel unfinished. I dont like the vibrations and the heat on the 950s though. So a few questions to all; anyone waiting for the 950 v4s MST? As the 12 has moved up I would really prefer the v4 in the 950. And what tire would you run, the Mitas 09 or something else. I dont like swapping tires at all and have my streetfighter v4s for day to day, but i do like a smooth noise free ride on the black and then grip on the dirt:)
    Sid Post likes this.
  5. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting thoughts on the 950 and I've been thinking of the bike for the reasons you mention. Do you happen to have any links or info on what mods drop the bike down 37kg?
    Phip likes this.
  6. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I got out on some dirt roads in the Big Sur area yesterday. I'm a NooB at this dirt stuff, but I had a blast!
    Drifter, danketchpel and lvscrvs like this.
  7. Sid Post

Sid Post Middle aged rider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Nice motorcycle too! ;)
  8. Phip

Phip n00b

Oddometer:
    It would take me a while. Going BST helps, there some pipes that drop 50% lower again than the Akra, titanium nuts, swing arm can save you 6 kg, the jack is heavy if specced, tank can save 3, slime line bars, even rods can save you a bit. I think the basics without going engine it all it takes tbh. But again depends where you start, the wheels on the 950 are heavy so savings there can be really nice, also carbon tends to centre better. So wheels maybe 8kg, Nuts 6kg, Full Pipe 6kg, Arm 8kg, rack removed 6kg, almost there.
    pitbull likes this.
  9. Phip

Phip n00b

Oddometer:

No such thing as a noob off road, just practise the slow stuff, rest will come naturally. :) And you are very brave.
  10. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 '20 Multistrada 950S '78 KX650

Oddometer:
    Any pictures with the mosko bags on? I have the reckless 80 v2 system but was curious about the side panniers.
  11. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here you go. These are Backcountry 35's with the 4L Storage Pouch.

MDV.png

MultiBags.png
  12. picknpluck

Oddometer:
  13. Sid Post

Sid Post Middle aged rider

Oddometer:
    Maybe Ridgecrest or Trona since it looks like California plates. Lots of nice rides between New Mexico and California! Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, and Nevada are pretty neat as well.
  14. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was taken off of Emigrant Canyon Rd, about 2 miles south of Emigrant Pass in Death Valley National Park. Google Street View
    Sid Post likes this.
  15. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    Nice! I was also curious about the mounting brackets for your panniers. I didn't see anything fitted for a Multistrada in Mosko's website. Whose did you use?
  16. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used SW-Motech EVO's. They work great and are easily removed when you don't need them.
  17. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    Good to know...I've got the Ducati Touratech racks. I'll have to see if the Mosko luggage will work with that rack.
  18. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been off road doing jeep type trails with lots of sand. The Perili STR II rally scorpions have proved a fantastic tire for my use. They are awesome on the road and do the job off road. Not great but good. Snow today will put a damper on our weekend rides. Temp was between 42F & 37F
    IMG_20201127_121321.jpg IMG_20201127_104945.jpg IMG_20201127_145925.jpg IMG_20201128_190035.jpg IMG_20201127_095154.jpg IMG_20201127_145912.jpg
    matted, Southtrails19 and Requiem84 like this.
  19. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    My Hepco Becker Gobi top case with the easy mount works great off road. So far no problems never comes off, the mount stays secure. Used locktite blue for the mounting screws. 10K miles on it works well. Also maintains speeds in excess of 120mph with two up no problem. My wife likes it and is comfy. We did 2400 miles 12 days with full luggage. She was happy.
    Southtrails19 likes this.
  20. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    Was checking out the New V4 Multistrada, but the looks just are not right for me. And when I think hard about it, my 950 is so sweet. Every now and then I can push it really hard and it touches on running out of throttle just barley. :D:lol3