1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ducati Multistrada 950 off road?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by waderman, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you, the looks are lacking for me, not a fan of the smaller hand guards and also the mirrors. If you have the blind spot monitoring you definitely won't be changing the mirrors out, and I can only imagine the price of replacing one after a tumble off road. I am jealous of the service intervals, but the 950s capabilities are higher than I am capable of when tires hit the dirt.
    ajy1w likes this.
  2. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Added Clearwater Erica's for better visibility during the day because West Coast drivers love their phones. Breaking them in on a cross country Christmas trip but so far they've been great.
    IMG_8423.jpeg IMG_8429.jpeg
    ajy1w likes this.
  3. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    But yeah off road my 950 is all I need, nothing more and nothing heavier.
    The fins on the side just kill it for me. The back half of the bike does not look like it belongs to the front half of the bike. And the front looks awkward, from the side the fins (Shark like > not for me) and the tank and body work looks squished.

Ordered the Double take mirrors, and am eying up the Hepco Becker hand gaurds. My bark busters have not survived well off road.
  4. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    Done some hard riding on both of my Enduro's. Went to top of the world in AK in 2019 on the 1200. I have been considering the 950 as a replacement for the 1200 so thanks for all of this data.
  5. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread has been helpful for me as well. I'm specifically looking for a bike with a 19" x 17" wheel combo, so reading about the multi 950 has been really helpful. My only concern is that's it's too pretty to beat up on dirt.
  6. NBK

NBK n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi ajy1w,
    how are those Hepco Becker hand guards working?
    I did not know the brand, but looking at the design they look very promising. I like the aesthetics and the upper/lower protection they provide around the pricey led blinker (compared to the Barkbusters or the Evotech PRN014664). They also are as much overpriced as every other aftermarket piece of metal we can buy for our beloved Ducati.
    I already bought once the original plastic handle covers (dropping the 950s from a stand position like a noob), so I am definitely buying something sturdier now.
    Just one question: where and how are they connected on the internal side? From the manufacturer's instructions, they seem to be directly bolted to the handlebar clamp, but how? Do you have to replace the original bolts? or do they somehow install on top of them?
    I am concern about the load path in case of a strong impact (sorry, structural engineer here :D). I would not want to ruin the main clamp to save a plastic handle cover. That is also the reason why I have doubts on the Evotech protectors. Nice design, but the connection to the mirror screw is calling for troubles.

Thanks.
  7. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure the Hepco Becker guards are worth the money after looking more closely. Will stay with Busters, bend them back for now.
    Did replace the mirrors with the Double Take. The double take mirrors have great adjustability. The mirrors are costly 150 each.
    The plastics actually are not. I was able to have several off road falls with the barkbusters before I actually bent the right side.

Any input on the Ibex skid plate.
  8. Drifter

Drifter Staying the Course

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if all the 950 Enduro models have the lowered seat as standard equipment? Or is it still an option to the standard height seat?

Thanks!
  9. rcf2

rcf2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's just me or we should have a smaller plastic fuel tank for more serious off-road? did anybody ever hear about one that fit the 950?
  10. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The low seat is offered as a separate accessory. It is not part of the Enduro accessory pack. Both the standard 950 and the 950S come with the standard seat.
  11. Drifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  12. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen any aftermarket tanks for the 950. If someone did make an aftermarket tank it would probably be a larger one.
  13. Drifter

Oddometer:
    :thumb An iconic view! That may be my next bike!
    picknpluck likes this.
  14. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    An iconic day! My buddy got some video of us riding that day.
    matted, ajy1w, devildogg and 3 others like this.
  15. Drifter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Gorgeous ride! I'm jealous. I've been down PCH a few times, but I never got off road like you guys did. There's still time I spose . . .
    picknpluck likes this.
  16. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    There are several off-road options in that area. That's Old Coast Road in the video, but there's more just a bit further south (when they open back up).
    danketchpel and Drifter like this.
  17. mammal

mammal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For mild off-road riding, any issues with cast wheels? I’m considering a used 2017 with cast wheels that I’d like to take on gravel, dirt, and easy two-track, but don’t want to go with cast wheels if they’re fragile. But if they can take a little abuse, the weight savings would be nice.
  18. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    Hey @Southtrails19 how well is the reckless 80 system working out for you? Assuming you're using it on a Multistrada?
  19. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The reckless 80 has been amazing. I've gone weekend camping to sequoia natl forest/joshua tree, picked up pizzas and gotten groceries, strapped tires to it, and loaded up to go cross country with it. The dry bags it comes with are great but sometimes I replace the middle dry bag with a yeti panga duffle bag for more storage. I leave them on the bike and love it. No problem with passengers sitting on it either.

Attached Files:

picknpluck likes this.
  20. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After having to replace the led signal and top/bottom plastic guard on a rocky drop I bit the price and am glad. I've knocked a solid tree or two and haven't had an issues since.