Ducati Multistrada 950 off road?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by waderman, Feb 3, 2020.

1. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have pannier racks underneath? I've got the OEM Ducati Touratech rack and I've been looking at soft luggage options that allow me to keep that rack on the bike so I can swap my ha d panniers without hassle.
  2. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, the exhaust heat shield that comes with the luggage is all you need, but racks won't interfere either.
    picknpluck likes this.
  3. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southtrails, your bike looks good with your soft luggage set up.
    Can you post a picture of your engine guard skid plate. like a side view of whole the engine.
    Still pondering the Ducati or Ibex plate. I had not seen the plate in black mounted on a bike.
    Yours looks good.
  4. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's the ducati plate, I just had it powder coated, definitely a solid skid plate, only one that works with the ducati crash bars as well. 5A380C87-B050-4A7B-BFF0-AF1914534CEF_1_201_a.jpeg A3321CBF-AC33-4153-936A-AC93D9B16B3E_1_201_a.jpeg E3ADF591-088D-48B4-97B0-91F2083FAF32_1_201_a.jpeg
  5. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That little insignia by the hex bolt and muffler is the Touratech insignia. It may be Ducati but Touratech manufactured it. Great piece!

Attached Files:

6. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    Touratech does a whole line of enduro parts for the Multistrada that are sold as OEM. Luggage, crash guards, footpegs, etc.
    motoman12 likes this.
  7. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did not know that! Great to know picknpluck! Could that be why the parts are not listed on the Touratech website?
  8. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but they are listed by Ducati. All of the Enduro package items are made by Touratech.
    motoman12 likes this.
  9. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    Was out today, 30-33f, 4 hours, ice fishing cold. Looped up skyline drive and greenwood lake back to Harriman (closed) 17south home. IMG_20210307_120757.jpg
    MCGMB, motoman12 and Southtrails19 like this.
  10. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    SouthTrails > I was looking for a less costly plate. I noticed that the OEM plate has the header exposed a little on the right.
    I already have a small dent in my header at the spot that the pipe turns up just about where this plate exposes the pipe. See your photo.
    We are doing some of the BDRS and I need to increase my protection below, some rocky sections.
    Powder coating looks nice.

[​IMG]
  11. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    IMG_20201128_190035.jpg A point of no return.
    matted and ShinzuGabeh like this.
  12. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, OEM plastic plate didn't do anything. Had to replace the header pipe. 20948023-5B10-4B11-8E75-AA1EA66327A0_1_201_a.jpeg
    ajy1w likes this.
  13. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is some deep water! Any issues after you played submarine?
    matted, ajy1w and dsrydr like this.
  14. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    It did not end well for me, but the Duc was fine after taking a bath on its side. Picked it up, started it up and rode it out. No water appeared to get into anything. We walked the water before jumping in. 5 inches to the left and it was about 6 to 7 inches of water. I picked a bad line and ended up sliding down the edge of my line into the rut. The bike running great since, this bath was in November probably put another 1700 miles on it. Its a badass bike seems to do it all if you are up to it.
    :muutt
  15. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you it is a bad ass bike and glad you didn't have any water issues. I see the little foam guard at the front of the bottom cylinder and I've been curious about if water were to enter it. I'm not sure if it's a crankcase breather or what. I'm planning on running the Smokey Mountain 500 in the near future and I know there are some water crossings. Something I haven't had to put the 950 through in SoCal.
    ajy1w likes this.
  16. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's an air intake designed to help keep the timing belts cool, which should extend their life. Any water getting behind the belt cover should drain either trough a little notch (red circle) or through the gap between the horizontal belt cover and the clutch cover (red line).

TesteBelts.png

UnderneathBeltCover.png
    Another view from underneath.
    ajy1w likes this.
  17. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    No worries Duc can swim.

The skid plate thing has me perplexed. The Ducati plate has an opening on the lower right side that exposés the pipe. This area is very vulnerable and for $600++ just gets me. The Ibex plate leaves the same area exposed but if you use their crash bars then it covers it for $200+.
  18. ajy1w

Oddometer:
  19. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really helpful info! I haven't been easy on my bike and was worried about water, sand, mud getting in that intake. Wish there was a front fender extender that limited it but hey, that's what the service department is for. Just going to keep riding it and hope for the best.
  20. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ajy1w, when I was looking into buying a 950 I too was curious about the intake on the horizontal cylinder. I found a Cycle World Technial Analysis article from 2015 on the then new 821 Testastretta engine. In it they mention "belt covers, which feature a net-protected air intake to keep the operating temps of the belt under control."
    ajy1w likes this.