1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ducati Multistrada 950 off road?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by waderman, Feb 3, 2020.

1. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    TheWheelADV
    I need to read more. :hmmmmm
  2. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    Moto camping sections 6 & 7 of the MABDR. One bike failure blown clutch BMW650X slowed our group progress so we did not get to do section 8. No man left behind or should we say down. Ever see a Ducati toe a BWM well I did. Lots of fun. But cold for camping, 38f was not for sleeping the night. Lots of gravel through Poe Paddy Park, and hero section.

Attached Files:

3. picknpluck

picknpluck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's that puddle under your bike in that first pic?
  4. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And what tires did you use?
  5. picknpluck

Oddometer:
  6. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look to be the Pirelli Scorpon Rally STR. Had them and loved them, wore out fairly quick loaded down on the street heading to offroad trails though
  7. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Pic!! How do you like the dunlops? I put some on and am in the south right now, they don't handle in clay, and they sure are heavy tires, I can still feel them compared to the pirelli scorpion trails.
    picknpluck likes this.
  8. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    I like the Dunlops. They came on the bike when I bought it so I don't honestly have a benchmark...but they grip will on the road and they seem fine off-road. I've put 6k miles on the bike since September and the tires have plenty of wear left in them.
    Southtrails19 likes this.
  9. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From other reviews on here, mileage is definitely going the distance with them, I will be trekking highway back west and will have to throw on street tires mainly for weight and ride quality. I did manage to fill my front fender with so much mud I got a 3" rock stuck and cooked a strip of the rubber. I did enjoy seeing someone else's multi taking a nap though, mine has been no stranger to one! haha
  10. ajy1w

Oddometer:
    Puddle was there when I arrived. I rolled my bike forward for the pics and just happen to park it exactly by accident where it would look like it came from my engine. Line of sight when you do not remove your helmet, sometimes you miss what is directly under you.

Tires I loved the stock scorpions got 10k out of them. Now running Scorpion STR and they are excellent. Not sure how the back will do on millage currently about 3500 miles and maybe I will get another 2 - 3K out of the back. The STR has given me a better grip off road and still carry the road worthy sporting ability that allow me to rip on road, they also look pretty good. I do not feel I have given anything up only gained more off road ability. Love this bike

The picture not taken was my Ducati towing Mario's BMW650X country 14 miles to the campsite. Through the last gravel section up hill down hill it was a little scary but no one else seemed willing. The only way to finish and get to the campsite before dark was towing him along or leaving him on the trail. :kurt No Man Left Behind
    Southtrails19 likes this.
  11. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well quick maintenance update for those who actually intend on off-roading their Italian stallion. 15 months after purchase and 16k miles. My left fork seal is leaking. Not sure if anyone else has experienced any issues with their rides.
  12. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    Same issue, same mileage. I did my 18k a little early and got the fork seals replaced.
  13. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's really interesting, I called the original dealership and they said they could try and file a claim but since it's been over one year, I doubt it would get approved, and I'm currently on the opposite coast, so this one is going to be out of pocket. Hoping it's not bad for the seals themselves. I've got the prepaid service package so I'll be riding back west for that.
  14. picknpluck

Oddometer:
    It's probably just normal wear and tear.
  15. RebBaron

RebBaron n00b

Oddometer:
    My '16 Honda AT had a fork seal fail around 5,000 miles. About 50/50 street/dirt, and I'm not a hard core rider so the bike wasn't abused. The replacements have gone about 5k and are still good.
  16. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took a ride out Giant Rock and nearby Johnson Valley this past Sunday. Got lots of practice riding in sand. Nearly biffed it several times before I got the technique down. :p3rry

The fork seals on my bike haven't started leaking but there's often a thin film, or ring, on the fork tubes. Haven't bothered taking it to the dealer as it's such as small amount.

JoshuaTrees.jpg

GiantRock.jpg

SoggyLake.jpg
    Strick, Tenerrod and Southtrails19 like this.
  17. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics @TheWheelADV glad you don't have to replace them yet. I've gotten that fixed and have a new chain, sprockets, and rear pads on the way, unfortunately I've reached max adjustment range at 15k miles. Final prep before a 3k mile trip back to the west coast.
  18. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Southrails19! How did the bike do on the Smokey Mountain 500?
  19. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the fork seal issue put the bike out of commission for the SM500, so I ran it on a '21 Himalayan, still an amazing trip!
  20. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too bad. Must have been a pretty bad leak. At least you were able to carry on with the Himalayan. Might have to try that SM500 at some point on one of my trips back to NC.