Ducati Multistrada 950S reviews

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by WagonWillie, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Mika.ha

Mika.ha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let us know what you think. I'm afraid that as an old GS rider you might find it too sporty...
    Tech wise there is still a big difference between the 950 and the 950s. You will not get the fully electronic skyhook suspension for instance.
    Don't know how different the ride will be with the standard suspension. If you get the chance, test the 950s to feel the difference.
    But I understand, sometimes you get the chance to make a nice deal, and 10500$ is indeed not a lot of money for a Multistrada. Is it brand new?
    Looking forward to your ride report.
    Southtrails19 likes this.
  2. jimmy2020

jimmy2020 limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer:
    Followup to my plan to rest ride the MTS 950...I arrived at the dealership yesterday morning and the bike had a SOLD sign on it. They sold it to another dealership. I was rather disappointed.
  3. WagonWillie

WagonWillie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad! I'm surprised they sold it to another dealership in less they had a solid buyer.
  4. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the same boat as choosing between the two. As of now the cost is on the multi side here. the dealer has a 18 950S/w spoke for 9995 + 800 OTD. He also have a used white one with bags and spoked wheels for 8k with 6000 miles. I really like the 2019 950S due to all the add ons. they are still 3k less than a comparable 850 GS . GS has more leg room as i have a 34 inseam height but it also had the tall seat.
  5. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping that BMW will have a 850GT coming out soon. Could be some good competition for the MTS.

I'm a bit confused: I didn't think that there was a 950S model in 2018 MY. Does it have all the tech like IMU, linked brakes, ride modes, etc?
  6. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    19 is the first year of the 950s, 18 models don't have the tech you noted. I went into the dealer the other day and they had one 19 950s that sold but next to it an 18 1260 with 600 miles for $17k. Unfortunately for the deal it is I want a lighter bike with larger wheels.
  7. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    I too want a lighter bike!! Come on bike manufacturers: I'll happily pay the same $20K for a LIGHTweight sport touring bike with the tech. Is a 400 lb or so bike like this even possible? I'd take a Honda 750 Africa Twin DCT at that weight... please give me a 30" or 31" seat height while your at it please. Oh, and add cruise control! Why they left it off the current AT is a mystery to me.

Thanks for clearing that up: your post said "18 950S/w spoke for 9995 + 800 OTD" but I think you meant to say a "18 950/w spoke..." No big deal, just checking.
  8. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Satz said that, I thought there was a smaller displacement africa twin rumored.
  9. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    I've heard that rumor about the AT as well; I hope so, but kinda doubt it as bikes tend to get bigger and heavier, not smaller and lighter. Honda bumping up the displacement and weight to at least 1150 or mebbe 1200 and the weight up to 550 pounds and seat height up to, oh I dunno, say 50 inches (grin) seems more likely. I won't consider that bike, but a 750 weighing in at 425, seat height of ~32" and producing 75 hp would be in my garage in an instant assuming it had the tech, including DCT, IMU and cruise. And yes, I'd be happy to pay the same as the current model AT 1100.
  10. Perperub

Perperub n00b

Oddometer:
    The rumor says a BMW "F850XR" (or whatever it might be called) will be announced at EICMA 5-10th of November. I'm considering the S1000XR but it's too much bike but has the right specs. A lighter, smaller engined S1000XR would be my dream bike.
  11. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Perperup, I too am anticipating the EICMA show and hoping that the BMW XR or GT or something will meet my desires. Maybe a 750 something will all the tech, a reasonable seat height and fairly low weight will pop up. Guess I'm getting old: the Nortons, Triumphs, BSAs, and Velocettes of my youth seemed about right other than lacking disk brakes, electric start, ABS, IMU, and and and. Yeah, they lacked a lot, but when they ran they were light, nimble and just great fun.
  12. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Uh oh! Honda just fixed the Africa Twin, pretty much! The 2020 has been announced and the Adventure Sports model has the tech like IMU, electronic suspension, TFT dash, cruise control, cornering lights, tubeless tires, a much lower seat height, heated grips, engine guards, a bash plate and retains the DCT option. It's even a bit lighter than the outgoing version, tho still a lot more than I would like at 200kg (550lbs). Priced at $18K it could be a contender. About a grand more than the 950S. There are still rumours of a smaller version waiting in the wings...
    bobw likes this.
  13. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw the 2020 AT as well and was impressed at the R&D Honda is putting in this years model and the feedback they listened to of the tech it needs such as previously stated, that and it needs to compete against the largest player in the business being bmw.
  14. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    True that! I'm curious to see what BMW comes up with. The rumours of a new 850GT (or whatever they end up labeling it) have my curiosity piqued. There's both a BMW and Honda dealer in town, but no Ducati or MV Agusta, so there is that to consider, at least for my situation.
  15. ajy1w

ajy1w Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018, 4500 miles on it. I am 5'9, 60 old. moving it around is ok, but it is still 500lbs. Very agile to maneuver around in my garage.
    Pros you get all the goodies mostly electronic, with the 2019 950S. The Suspension is probably everything that would be worth anything.
    My friend has the GS750, and we swapped this weekend. No comparison in comfort the Multi takes it. The engine on the 750 is nothing to get excited about and very un exciting, disappointing. Understanding the 850 engine is bigger and faster. The Multi 950 is more inline with the 1200GS before the 1250GS, engine wise as performance.

Pros:
    Sporty very much so, but sweet and addicting to ride. This has been the only bike I have owned that I cant stop riding.
    Comfortable very much so, I have done 10 hour days without discomfort in the seat. I did 9 hours with my wife on the back in France. No complaints from either of us.
    Wind screen, is great, I do not experience any buffeting to the rest of my body as previously mentioned.
    In light rain your arms catch little, the rest of your body nothing.
    Most of the wind is directed away from you from the whole front of the bike including the tank. You sit low in the seat.
    Vibration none that's the motor, and if anything it feels edgy in sport mode.
    Handling is excellent. You get the best of any riding you want to do. Touring, sport, city, street, Enduro light off road is fine.
    Slow maneuvers is excellent but that has most to do with rider skill, but its easy, agile, and great turning radius.
    I can be almost still and balance this bike with ease. Almost does it itself.
    I absolutely love it. Best bike I have owned.
    The spoked wheels are better, I dented the allow rims very easily one small pot hole I was pissed > it was my 950 rental in France.
    My Buddy on the GS750 was amazed at the difference, and his 750 was not much less then my 950. I got a very good end of year deal.
    We paid the same, I got the ducati paniers, heated grips and crash guard, and spoked wheels included.
    Top case on the 950 pictured is hepco becker gobi.

The bad:
    Its a little tall. I use Sidi Canyon boots which have a thic sole and that is very helpful. Balls of my feet comfortably.
    it runs hot, and can get hot, only when stopped for long periods, bumper traffic mostly. Or on a 85F plus day.
    Its a little top heavy in the front, so you need to be careful when jamming on the front brake if going slow in parking lots.

IMG_20190928_142243a.jpg

IMG_20190928_144805a.jpg
  16. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great update! I do have a question though, how do you think the suspension will fare with the weight of me at 220, a pillion of 110, and gear. I'm planning on doing solo and two up camping trips.
  17. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the through review! I can't wait to go for a demo on the '19 950S as it looks to be almost everything I want, except for the 500 lb weight, but that just seems to be the way it is with "mid" weight bikes these days.

On a side note I think the BMW 750 and 850 engines are the same size (853cc), oddly enough. The 750 has a lower seat height, is a bit more road oriented and is "detuned" a bit to meet some rider restrictions in some countries as I understand it.

Regarding the post just after yours: it's my understanding that if you get the Skyhook suspension on the 950S you'll be able to dial it in just the way you like it. Again, I haven't actually played with it, but from what I've read so far it seems doable.
  18. ajy1w

ajy1w Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weight and 2 up. My wife 130, me 200. Like nothing for this bike. I have about 5000miles on touring with my wife my on the 950 2018 in Europe mostly France. This last trip we had over packed weight wise so i dialed the rear up 1. Perfect. Really it can handle much more. We had full load painers and top case and a tiedown pack. I took a ride with my brother his 1965 HD dresser gave out. I rode him over an hour home. He weighs 250. I was doing 115mph and he looked at the dash and started freaking out. He had no idea how fast until he looked.

BMW750, had little power, could not loft the front at all. It felt like a dog against the 950. Even the owner my friend could not believe the difference in power. I tested an 800gs couple years back it had much more power then his 750.

Skyhook, yes you can dial in anyway you want, very customiseable. These 950 are set up so good stock that i didnt feel the need for the extra cost of the skyhook. I did two 12 day tours in France in the last year. With my wife on the back and at our weight and packing the bike was flawless. Smooth and tight. No bottoming over serrious bumps. Now the 1200gs or 1250 is more plush in the seat. But i like the Ducati seat for me it is ok not great. But i have yet to feel the need to upgrade the seat.
  19. Southtrails19

Southtrails19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great to know! Now I just have to decide between the 20 AT with it's giant apple car play touchscreen and the 950s
    johnnywheels and WagonWillie like this.
  20. ajy1w

ajy1w Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new 2020 honda AT has some very nice goodies and that screen looks awesome. Engine performance is better and still shy 15hp on the 950. I think. And when you sit on the honda it feels huge.
    But its looking pretty dam good. Not a fan of the red white and blue graphic, to loud for me. Finish on the Ducati is above that of the honda.
    bobw and WagonWillie like this.