Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have a list of the torque values, if anyone needs it. It's sourced from Ducati Omaha; all I did was downloaded from their site.
    Jmjenia and Jetpilot5 like this.
  2. portiadog

portiadog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ">
    I’d like that list. DM?
  3. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    AlexFIA, Jetpilot5 and portiadog like this.
  4. portiadog

Oddometer:
  5. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AlexFIA likes this.
  6. Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a ‘21 V4S Sport Livery yesterday evening and took off to go get lost for a few days. I’m back home now because I could not get a room anywhere. Turned into a real fiasco, but here’s my take on this bike so far...

Seriously considering composing a sale ad right now. Here’s what I think after 230 miles in the saddle...

The reach to the bars seems awkwardly far away. And the bars are very wide feeling. My left shoulder was on fire due to this. This is not a bike that I could do a long trip on. I feel very disconnected from the bike. Not confidence inspiring in the slightest.

The seat pretty much sucks. Probably partly due to the riders triangle being all wrong for me. My junk, ass and hands became numb and tingly.

The gear shift is very knotchy and clunky. I have to point my toe to Mother Earth to do an up shift. Rear brake is pretty much the same thing.

Front brake engagement is way too close to the grips and the clutch engagement is too far away.

Front end does not seem to feel connected to the rear, just doesn’t feel balanced.

Even though the tire pressures are correct, after adding more air to them, it has that slow handling feeling of a bike with low, flat profile tires. Again, just not confidence inspiring at all.

Bike is very walloey, provides zero feedback and is just too soft.

The engine while making lot’s of power feels like it needs another gear, has entirely too much engine braking and sadly, IMHO, does not have any character or soul.

Economy sucks. But to be fair, once it turned into a rescue mission to get back home to avoid sleeping on a park bench, I was riding at a pretty good clip.

Headlights are ok at best. Will require some rather serious aux lights to be safe for night travels.

I’m pretty throughly disappointed. I’m confident I can adjust all the controls to my liking. My brain is telling me a Sargent seat or Russell Day Long will solve the seat issue.

Due to the nature of the triple clamp, bar mount, handle bar design, ie; Ducati using the bars own rise for the pullback of the the riders triangle, I’m struggling in my brains farkle file to find a solution for this. The bars are too far away, too wide and the degree of the sweep back just does not agree with me. This is my main problem and the result is a major feeling of disconnect from the bike, not feeling like I’m one with it etc.

Sadly, I did not go do a demo ride on all the contenders. Pan America, GSA, 950 Multi, Grand Tourismo, V85TT etc.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be anything other than head over heels in love with this V4S having loved every Ducati I’ve ever owned including my old Multi that is sitting in the garage parked right next to the V4 probably saying who is this big ugly Amazone’ing looking bitch. Countless video’s, research etc, this was just not a thought in my head. Very valuable lesson learned today. Very. I have 30,600 reasons right now to make sure I demo bikes in the future and not just write a check.

I don’t see a solution for the bar reach and to be candid, not even sure I want to put in any more effort than a sales ad.

I think I would rather solve the need a little more wind protection on my 890 Rally and call it done. My ears are open if anyone has a solution other than growing longer arms!

Had I done a demo there is ZERO chance I would have bought this bike. I would have been far happier with a Super Sport S w/ bar risers, panniers and a Sargent saddle!
  7. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your experience. adjusting the controls is an easy fix, but the bar is a bigger issue. It is surprising to me that high end manufacturers don't offer more bar shape choices. I agree that the bike feels vague compared to the 1260S. Have you tried playing with the suspension settings at all? I think the rebound and damping are set to medium across the board (even in sport) and I am hoping that setting them to hard or very hard will help change this. It's nice that you can adjust the forks independently from the shock.
  8. AlexFIA

AlexFIA Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely different experience for me. I found positive attributes in everything you found troubling. For handling, you might play with some of the settings. Not sure if your dealer spent time with you on all the menu options. I thought handling was confidence inspiring especially on some bumpy canyon roads where I was easily pulling away from my group. The 19” front will feel different from the 17”, but the suspension did a better job on the rough stuff than my S1XR.

I agree that the reach between the V4 is a little longer than on the 1260, but felt it was great for aggressive riding and just required a shift in posture for touring. I also thought engine braking was on par with a BMW boxer and less than the 1260, but you have the prior Multi (I’ve had a few BMWs) and might have a better feel. The motor is smoother than the twin, and probably less character, but the smoothness is what I wanted.

I know where you are coming from though. I had the same reaction when I bought a KTM SAR. Just not the right bike for me (although best motor ever), and everything about it felt wrong despite a positive short test ride prior to purchase.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  9. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Maybe you can be the first to install a 1260 front wheel. Might make the bike more nimble and quick turning. Is there much slack in the cables.brake, clutch lines? Bar backs/risers might be worth a try. You might be able to source extensions if theres not enough play. With the beating you'll take selling it, you can afford to try a few things that might get the bike to work better for you. The stock seats on any bike I get always gets changed. So thats no surprise.
  10. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    to each his own, I guess. I bought the first 1290SAR to hit the area over four yrs ago. have 70K miles on it, it has been fantastic. quirky in ways, but everything else feels a bit less than to me now
    AlexFIA likes this.
  11. Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did some tinkering on the bike today. I found the handlebars were not in correct alignment. They were a few mils to the left. While I was there I set them right in the middle of road -Offroad setting. I got my cold psi perfect. I over shot a few lbs last night because they were already hot. Lever height and engagement has been adjusted. I programmed sport mode to be as hard edged and raw as the bike capable of while still leaving a slight hint of safety aids. I also went full stiff on the suspension to see if I can get it to feel a little less cruiser mushy.

I’m going to go hit the twisties in Big Bear tomorrow AM on roads that I’m very familiar with and have a rather large mental data base for which to compare after a good night’s rest.

With any kind of luck I’ll have different results and better news tomorrow!
    jimmex, Steve W., mikegc and 2 others like this.
  12. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  13. magnavra

magnavra n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve become interested in V4, but the nearest dealer is 2hrs away. What’s the consensus on reliability and dealer access? I know the service intervals are pretty generous on the bike, however being a new model with potential bugs, etc., maybe I should wait?

Any thoughts!

thanks!
  14. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait long enough and all the bugs will mostly be solved. If you have a specific bike picked out, the dealer should be able to tell you if it's part of the engine issue recall, but that's the big one. Fork seals came up as being another, but I haven't heard anything official yet.

I test rode one and loved it immediately and it continues to impress - reading @Ocotillo Boy 's post above, I've had the exact opposite experience as he did - I kinda do agree about his "disconnect" feeling but I am chalking it up to tires and/or DTC/DWC interference, maybe? Haven't tested playing with lowering the defaults yet.

If the prospect of beta testing isn't your thing, no harm in waiting. For me, the comfort and familiarity of the upright sports tourer was immediately appealing.
  15. magnavra

magnavra n00b

Oddometer:
    brianpc,

Thanks for the response… I honestly don't mind a few bugs -- just prefer not to have problems that require trailering it.

I haven't ridden one yet, but am looking forward to it.
  16. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    FWIW, here are my current mode settings on the V4S:

upload_2021-7-20_15-17-49.png
    brianpc and portiadog like this.
  17. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.
  18. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Another FWIW -- here is a video showing some of the new accessories for the V4 being produced by SW-Motech. A couple of them are not quite available on their website just yet, but I'm staying tuned.

portiadog likes this.
  19. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to get my trax box on the back of the bike.
  20. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Remember the lengthy discussions we had about Ducati not understanding its customers with the new Multi since nobody would buy it with a 19’ front wheel?

Turns out the new Multi is Ducati’s best seller in a record sales period:

I guess it shows that we all think about bikes from our own perspective, but Ducati has got a good feel for what the market is looking for.
    Yossarian™ likes this.