Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Vic KF

Vic KF n00b

Oddometer:
    My V4S Sport will soon be with me - a couple of question on the front power outlet. Is it mini (DC) ~ powerlet in style like on the BMW GS's? I have a BMW HeatUp Vest that on my BMW I'd connect to the powerlet socket where as in the KTM1090R I'd run a DC2.5 cable fused to the battery, I'm just wondering if I can use the front power socket on the V4S?
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    It is a Powerlet / Hella / DIN style receptacle.

Power is available when the bike is on.

However, I would not run heated gear on this circuit as it is not a high amp wire.
  3. Vic KF

Vic KF n00b

Oddometer:
    Got it - thanks - I’ll run a DC2.5 to the battery with an in-line fuse …… better to be safe
    portiadog likes this.
  4. portiadog

portiadog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good for connecting a trickle charger as well.
  5. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Did you buy one?

I did.

I like it a lot. I still think it'd be a bit more focused / streety with a 17" front.

If the PP gives me exactly what I'm hoping for, I'll likely trade this one in on that, but if not, I'll be happy with this.

I'm not walking back anything I said about the 19" front before. What do you think?
  6. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I think that it rolls over raccoons a lot easier with the 19" front wheel.
    fossil and brianpc like this.
  7. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my second test ride on Tuesday. Before we took off I made sure everything was set sporty, full engine response etc. I was more familiar with the bike on this second ride so was more comfortable and kind of familiar with the route so could ride a little harder. That engine is amazing. I haven’t ridden a bike with that kind of power since I got rid of my K1300s five years ago.

V4S with travel and radar packages and alloy wheels is on order. Waiting on a delivery date right now. I’m very excited. :wings
  8. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Haven't tested a raccoon yet! Almost tested a squirrel last sunday.. Why are squirrels so suicidal when it comes to motos? they wait til the last minute on the side of the road and dart out to the wheels...... :D
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  9. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Nope, hence my comment that Ducati knows better than us what works.

Didn’t mind the 19’ front. Did mind the engine: missed the V2 character. Too smooth, too clean. Lack of emotion? Also a bit bothered about the fuel economy. Could live with that if I’d liked the engine.
  10. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I disagree about the motor's character, but I've also spent considerable time winding out the V4 with the akra slip-on making beautiful sounds. Whatever character my previous 1200 vtwins had, I like this better. Also fuel econ concerns seem exaggerated but I need more mileage to get good data. So far though, no issues.
  11. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Although there’s less torque right at the start, the V4 motor (especially in sport mode) is quite sharp and rather wicked. It’s smooth but it doesn’t lack character. Mines getting the full Akra installed right now.
    jimmex likes this.
  12. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    I'm coming from an S1000R that had the optional forged wheels to a Multi ('21 950 S in my case) with a 19 inch front. I've had a Street Triple R, a previous gen CBR1000RR, among other bikes. At no point have I thought to myself, "If only this had a 17' front."

The bikes are incredibly balanced, and apparently I'm not enough of a rider that the 2 inches is somehow a hinderance to my performance potential or ease of daily use. I'm a cranky bastard, and I'm usually sensitive and ornery when things aren't "just how I want them to be." No issues, here. Did switch to a more aggressive pad compound front and back, though...

YMMV.
    portiadog and Yossarian™ like this.
  13. Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update: After getting everything adjusted properly and spending more time on this bike it’s starting to agree with me now! I got the radar installed yesterday along with the Ducati connect and Sygic nav. Pretty bad ass I must admit. Going to do some more riding today!
  14. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I'm really glad to hear that you are having a more positive experience with your new bike. Any time I hop on an unfamiliar bike, nothing feels right to me -- at first.
    jimmex and brianpc like this.
  15. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, where did you set your sag?
  16. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Yeah perhaps I should give it a more lengthy test drive, but the engine didn't resonate with me as the 1260 did (or even the 950!). It's just a matter of taste. Not saying you are wrong and I am right, simply what does one prefer.

I prefer a little bit imperfection, and frankly the V4 seems to have gone more towards the perfection side. It runs a lot cleaner down low in the revs and it behaves very well at slower speeds. You can just as easily take an easy ride on it and enjoy the scenery, but you can also go wild on it.

The older engine felt more like a bad devil on my shoulder constantly saying to me ('can you go faster mate!').
    Blakduk and Wolf_ADV like this.
  17. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. If I were to fault the V4 for anything, it's that it is so good at everything that it seems less like a motorcycle than what I'm used to. I feel less like a skilled operator and more like a pilot on a 777 that flies itself.
    Requiem84 likes this.
  18. Ocotillo Boy

Oddometer:
    It is very refined, almost to a fault. It doesn’t have the raw nature to it like my 2008 1100s.

On the preload, I seem to like one setting above so far. If I’m solo with no luggage, I choose solo w luggage. Still playing with all this though!
    portiadog likes this.
  19. Ocotillo Boy

Oddometer:
    What’s my options for getting some sound out of this bike?
    Blakduk likes this.
  20. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Full Akra system available from Ducati. I'm getting mine installed this week/next. Check this out: