Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    ^^^ They're getting ready to attack Tippi Hedren. :rofl
    portiadog likes this.
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent some time riding yesterday with these thoughts in mind, and I'm at about 3 weeks of ownership with just under 600mi for the 1st service.
    The motor character IMHO is everything fun about the Vtwin 1200 (I don't have much experience with the 1260 motor) without the "low end fueling issues" plaguing that motor that everybody hated / tried to tune out.
    I disagree about the "less torque right at the start" perception - I think that's the driver's aids (DTC, DWC) working with the throttle to deliver a smooth low-end response. Folks said the same thing about the 1290 Super Duke GT and I told them to turn off TC and then complain about going to lower gearing / lack of low end torque / etc. That bike will wheelie in all gears, that motor is f*cking ridiculous, and I bet this one is the same with the nannies off.
    This motor doesn't chug/hiccup like the previous gens at low revs at all - though, I don't see why anyone would spend time below 3k rpms on this bike? I find myself usually above 4k to the 7k range because the throttle response is fun. I'm not lugging it yet because break-in-miles but the times i've gotten down to 3k-3500 rpm it WILL torque itself up through the revs. Spending time at 8k is fun and definitely "devil on the shoulder" tempting - really want to wind this motor out A LOT past 1st service.

I do agree with the overall "softened" feel you're perceiving, but I don't think it's the motor specifically - probably the active suspension and tc nannies. I owned a 2017 R1200GS for 1.5 yrs and never connected with it - this V4S is ALL Multistrada but that "softened" feel is just enough R1200GS to make it comfortable / tame when you want it to be, which is something I had always wished my '14 1200 PP was a bit more of.

If I ever get some mad cash and there's a new PP later this year as a 'stripper' model with ohlins clickers - or even dynamic suspension! - and the 17" front wheel I could see owning both just for kicks, but since I'm not expecting any large infusions of cash money anytime soon, I'm happy to live with the V4S as an all-rounder. It continues to impress. I could see a use case for a full-time sport mode bike with 17" front on perfect pavement and/or maybe track use or just weekend 100mi milk runs to the twisties and back, but the 19" wheel soaks up rough road and handles just fine for me at this point, and the comfort aspect of the bike makes longer mileage days much more relaxed.

Also, the new windscreen is AMAZINGLY good for a straight stock screen.
    Baldy, Blakduk, Yossarian™ and 4 others like this.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    For my type of riding, touring on cuota, secondary, and remote mountain roads in Mexico, I need this bike to get at least 200 mi. between gas stops. I suppose I could just put a Rotopax on the back, which I would anyway, but would rather not have to use it very often. Still very interested in this bike.
  4. Flyfish

Flyfish n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anybody show how you set up your trickle charger? Great bike so far but with only 400 miles on it I’m still getting to know it.
  5. portiadog

portiadog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some battery tenders may come with the motorcycle power outlet terminals (bmw chargers do) so you can just plug it into the power outlet on the dash. Most people install the little pig tails on the battery itself and leave the end of that cable zip tied to the frame somewhere so it can be connected to the battery tender when the bike is not in use.

6. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Good post and thanks for your insights. I might need to give the V4 a bit more time and rather rent it for a weekend than just rely on a test ride, so I can fiddle a bit with all the settings.

The massive turbulence on the older Multistrada models is one of my biggest complaints, so good to hear. Although I didn't really notice it on my test ride (but I forgot my earplugs...). More things to test in any case and it's not totally out of my mind. With the Akra full system it also suddenly starts to sound like a Ducati...
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    The dash outlet (as well as the underseat outlet) won't work for trickle charging; they are both 12v switched power and are only live when the ignition is on.

As with all my bikes, I installed a battery tender SAE power pigtail directly to the battery. It terminates at the front left corner of the rider's seat, zip tied to the frame. It's 16ga wire, and having used exactly this setup for heated gear, it serves both as a trickle charge connector and heated gear power supply. If using it for the latter, replace the inline fuse on the power pigtail with a 15A.
    portiadog likes this.
  8. AlexFIA

AlexFIA Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike already has a pigtail for a battery tender installed. It is zip tied to the frame just below the left side of the rider seat near the rear shock. Its even in the manual. Although the manual specifies the use of a Ducati maintenance charger (of course), this is just a simple direct wire connection to the battery using a standard 2-pin SAE connector, so you can likely just use whatever charger is compatible for the battery.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  9. portiadog

Oddometer:
    I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Optimate-LiF...id=1627336509&sprefix=optimate,aps,434&sr=8-5
  10. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Email from the dealer today and surprise surprise, my bike is in. :wings Only nine days after being ordered. And surprise surprise, it’s a 2022. :clap And one more surprise surprise, it’s $850 more than originally quoted. :bluduh Not thrilled with the higher than expected price but the fact that it’s a model year newer helps. I did reply to his email asking him to confirm that the new price includes the radar being turned on.

Dealer also tells me that all bikes ordered from here on out will be 2022 models.
    mikegc, Wolf_ADV and portiadog like this.
  11. portiadog

Oddometer:
    I picked my bike up from the dealer today. I has TPMS installed, and switched to Michellin Road 5 Trails, as I have never loved the Scorpions. I also had the full Akra system installed. It's a little early to tell about the tires, but they feel much better so far. The full Akra system sounds glorious and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who feels that the motor is too refined. It may not have a significant or real impact on performance, but it will certainly change your perception.
    brianpc and Jetpilot5 like this.
  12. brianpc

Oddometer:
    How is it higher price? Your bike will come with ACC enabled, my bike doesn't and I have to pay the $850 to get it enabled. The bike "comes" with ACC/BSM at the trim level you ordered.

I have my 1st service scheduled for next weekend and I'm strongly considering doing what you did - abandoning the OEM scorps and goin PR5 trails, as I *love* PR5s. Let me know how you like them! Please and thank you. :)
    portiadog likes this.
  13. crsavage

crsavage Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am really enjoying my v4. I have 6000k on it so far. I would like to change sprocket (either one) to a higher gear as I think it is a little low geared. I am an older rider and don't need the acceleration . I checked with the dealer and he said Ducati doesn't have and doesn't want owners changing them. Because it is so new the aftermarket doesn't list any for a V4. There is a 40 tooth rear for a Multi 950 but I don't know if it will fit. Does anybody have an ideals. Thanks
  14. portiadog

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if it will fit but you can prob check the part numbers for the rear wheels and sprockets and assembly on the 950/enduro/V4 and see if they are the same. Ducati AMS Dallas and Ducati Omaha both have very searchable online parts lists I believe.
  15. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Why not change the power mode for sport / touring to be 100hp? It's configurable. Or are you referring to Urban?

And for your use case, I'd look into a throttle tamer or something along that route before messing with gearing IMHO.
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    From what I understand directly from Ducati Representatives, is that changing the final drive ratio throws off a number of electronic aids, up to and including the radar system.
  17. crsavage

crsavage Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I was afraid they and you are probably right. So will scrap that brilliant idea.
  18. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    About AU$5000 if my reading of the Ducati website is correct for a full Akro system. And google shows no other options yet.
  19. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    So I've done a few big bike reviews on the YouTubes lately and the latest was Harley's Pan America. A few commenters said yes, great bike, just like the GS is, but the best of them all is the V4.

I'm thinkin' maybe I should request a demo bike and review it. What makes it the best of the big ADV bikes? 170 horsepower? And what's it best in? Surely not offroad where the KTM must own it?
    brianpc and portiadog like this.
  20. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I'm going through this thread in order, so if this has been asked and answered, I'll get there.

About 4 years ago back and leg problems got me to get rid of a GSA because of the seat height swinging a leg over and concern about the top heaviness of the bike at very low speeds. Not sure my leg would have supported an imbalance when stopping. I bought a lower bike and the Heritage 114 has been great, but I test rode a demo Pan America which has got me itching for another ADV bike and the power, sportiness, touring capability and radar has got me thinking about a V4S.

You mention in your post:

The GS is definitely easier to maneuver at very slow speeds.

Does the Multistrada feel top heavy, especially at low speeds or when stopping?

I'm in great shape now and can ride anything these days, but I'm an old fart and if I was to switch bikes again, it would be my 3rd 'last bike'. I am certain I won't be able to negotiate a 4th 'last bike' with an otherwise very tolerant wife.

On paper & the reviews make this look like a perfect match for my sportbike/light ADV/one up touring riding. Except maybe the high up weight.

Why don't I test ride and find out myself? Well, just about every time I try that, I buy the bike.:lol3

SocalRob and Blakduk like this.