Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of thoughts on this, haha.
    I am not sure it's "the best" overall, but it's a great on-road motorcycle that seems capable with offroad. The onroad performance and comfort of the V4 seems to be everything the GS is, with Ducati excitement in the motor, suspension, tech, and performance. I've always said the Multistrada is the best bike for sport touring because it's not only comfortable during the trip, it's fun as hell when you get where you're going (previous multistradas - 2011 S touring, 2014 PP).

I haven't done any real offroad riding with my V4S but from my test ride / few times on unpaved dirt lots I notice it has that "GS" feel of very low-slung weight and none of the front end stiffness / plowing feel I've had from my previous multistradas.

The downsides IMHO are the typical Ducati eccentricity "character", expensive parts & service, and dealer network. One of the upsides I think the HD PanAm has is that in the US, there's a harley mechanic in every small town, so parts and service while touring are a non-issue AFAICT.

Overall though, I think as an all-rounder for fun onroad w/ capable offroad (as offroad as most folks would take a big bike), it's pretty well done.
    Baldy likes this.
  2. brianpc

Oddometer:

IMHO - no, when compared to previous gen multis (compared to a GS may be a different story). In fact, one thing that impressed me on the test ride, aside from the immediate feeling of comfort and confidence, was the low speed turning and "low slung" feel - compared to my 1290 SDGT and previous Multistrada.

And I'm with you on the test-ride=purchase problem.... I'm very selective with test rides these days. :)
    BCC likes this.
  3. portiadog

portiadog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I should clarify. When I mean very slow speeds, I mean tight parking lot u-turns, or speeds < 5mph. The V4 is not top heavy, but it doesn't have the boxer gyroscopic effect. I think the biggest difference is that it doesn't have the BMW tractor motor. The 1250s I have ridden have allowed me to essentially let the clutch out without any throttle, and the bike will just chug forward, unless it's pointed uphill. The V4 does not chug like the 1260 did, but it doesn't love being under load at idle. I would not buy the GS because of this reason.
    Blakduk, brianpc and BCC like this.
  4. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Baldy! We're not worthy, we're not worthy...

BLUF: This bike gives the comfort of a GS with the character and sportiness of a Ducati. And while this won't be a separator for long, the Radar Cruise Control and Blind Spot Detection systems are really quite phenomenal.

When I had my 1260, I often went back and forth on whether I should trade for a 1250GS or a 1290SA. The multi had the spicy Italian character, and sometimes the 17 inch front wheel was a blessing, other times it annoyed me. But every time I took a class at a BMW PC or RawHyde, I always thought that the GS was so much more comfortable for longer days in the saddle.

The V4 has delivered the comfort and ergonomics of the GS. It's paired the smooth 4 cyclinder motor of a Japanese bike at the low end of the rev range with classic Ducati excitement at the mid to higher end of the range. The motor is even more exciting than the 1260, if you are in Sport mode.

Like Brianpc mentions above, I have yet to take more than a short gravel road on the multi, although I will be joining a group of GS riders on a full day Western NC dirt ride this coming weekend. The local BMW/Ducati dealer has one of the GMW GS ambassadors coming to lead the ride, and I am certain that I will have better feedback then.

I really enjoyed both of your Panamerica videos, and would love to see a V4 review.
    SocalRob, Baldy and brianpc like this.
  5. crsavage

crsavage Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 70 with a bad back, so I have to ride sitting up, I didn't want a cruiser. The V4 IMHO is an excellent sport tourer. Great Windscreen and bags, good seat (low) and more power than I will ever need. I love it
  6. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I thought the best comparison with the V4 Multi is the R1250GS. Then I saw this vid. Nooooo. You can't have a bike sound like a fart!!!! Tell me you can make it sound better please!!!
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    By all means, please do an extended review of the V4. The model you'll likely be able to test in the USA is the V4S, as base models are special order only.

For the majority use of the big ADV bike segment, I'd say it's road use, and in this arena the V4 excels. I have had mine off pavement in the thousands of miles I've put on mine, and it's quite competent even on the stock road tires in such situations. On the road, I'm a firm believer that this bike is unmatched insofar as its overall competence. A noob rider could make this bike sing, it's so easy to ride.

A major markdown for the V4 has been its fuel consumption. However, I have found that as the motor loosens up, it gets better mileage. Also, mileage isn't horrible if you ride it like a touring bike -- I've gotten 200-220 miles per tank when I'm moving down the highway. It's not always easy to ride the bike like that, as the V4 motor beckons you to twist the throttle and make the bike jump in just about any situation.
    SocalRob, Baldy, brianpc and 3 others like this.
  8. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please

Please do! The current reviews all have a problem: the multi is reviewed by Ducati fans who all complain it’s “appliance smooth”.

the other main reviews are by ADV newbs who love the pan America and GS. I read all the reviews, went and tested a PanAmerica and I was so disappointed. It’s got less go than the ktm and feels like a poorly refined GS with lots of honda quality parts (stamped steel anyone?)

I’ve owned a GS, KTM 1290 SA, ktm 790 R, and a 2015 multi pikes peak. This bike is literally a mix of all the best parts of each. It’s a smaller frame than the ktm, but the motor has all the power of the KTM with more fun character. It’s truly the best in class yet all the reviews seem to focus on tiny details, like struggling with Sygic maps (which have worked well for me), and short fuel range (it’s less than a GSA but 200 miles is adequate.)

please do a review, you’ll apologize for your fawning over the HD.
    SocalRob, Baldy and brianpc like this.
  9. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Exactly, what he said.
    Please keep the reviews coming, particularly about whether the engine has Ducati character.
    I may have miraculously into a freaky position where I could get one of these or a BMW R 1250 GS. (Except that I don’t want the bike that sounds like a fart when it runs)
    Baldy likes this.
  10. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen the air filter setup on the V4 yet? I’m curious about how easy it is to replace (paper) or remove and clean a DNA filter.[​IMG]

update: Here's a vid of doing it on the streetfighter. Up the front of the tank behind the forks. Clear of flood water and dust?
    [​IMG]
  11. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it has Ducati character but it’s muted until about 7k rpm. It’s the most rideable Ducati I’ve ever ridden and yet, where the GS motor gets boring quick, this bike has all the Ducati character up top. It’s really a huge achievement for Ducati.
    Blakduk and brianpc like this.
  12. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Regarding changing the air filter, you remove the cover screws that are behind the forks, then turn the bars all the way to the right, and you can pull the cover out to the left. This allows access to the filter to remove/replace.
    Blakduk and Jetpilot5 like this.
  13. brianpc

Oddometer:
    This is a great point - it describes my thoughts exactly when I take issue with folks that say the V4 doesn't have "ducati character" - down in low RPMs, sure: it doesn't lug, doesn't have choppy throttle, rough fueling, etc, all the things my 2014 and 2011 vtwins had.
    The "ducati character" it DOES have is above 6k-7k where the motor positively SCREAMS to redline, which is what I remember vividly about my previous Multi twins, and the sound this V4 makes is *miles and miles* above the "screaming tractor" of the old testastretta - disagree with me all you like, but the old vtwin was very tractor-sounding. I think the DVT improved a bit on sound?

My moto-memory of my 2017 GS is of me not really ever feeling confident with the front end / suspension in corners, but overall the bike was comfortable and the motor never felt exciting. The V4S is enough "GS" in the right places (comfort, wind protection, usability, etc) but Multistrada excitement everywhere else IMHO.
    LowOnFuel, portiadog and Blakduk like this.
  14. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Great posts thanks.
    I’ve still got a great Fuel black carbon fibre looking slip on from my 900 that I would perhaps try to replace the end can with (leaving the cats alone).
    All I would want is a little more beautiful sound as I putter around country roads.

Listening to the warbling or growling exhaust of my Triple and Vtwin as I ride would have to be at least 40% of the pleasure that I get from riding these two particular bikes. So if I replace them both with this one….
  15. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No great pictures yet but break in is continuing. 450 miles since I picked it up three days ago.

IMG_1973.JPG
    YZFBogie, Baldy, Wolf_ADV and 5 others like this.
  16. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Beautiful man, I just logged in to declare, "This thread needs more pictures." Can we please have some more by owners, for wannabe owners like me. (I am talking myself into it, like I always do... The local dealer is unpacking a MSV4 demo, I'm on the list for a ride. You know how that is going to end...)
    Some image links from the interweb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. portiadog

Oddometer:
    IMG_7441.jpg
    When you forget to check “avoid ferry’s” on Garmin
    zzzak, Baldy, brianpc and 4 others like this.
  18. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have the Ducati touring screen, but also added a spoiler?

How is that working out for you in terms of buffeting / wind noise etc?
  19. portiadog

Oddometer:
    The touring screen actually hadn’t come in yet, so I added the spoiler to the stock screen.

Now that the touring screen has come in, I’ve taken the spoiler off. It’s good for me on the highway in the fully up position. I wish it was just another inch taller, but it’s way better than the 1260 screen for sure.
    Requiem84 likes this.
  20. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a Givi D7413ST screen from Italy, so it'll probably be 3 weeks until I see it. It's taller and a bit wider than the stock screen, so I'm going to give that a try.

With a second set of rubber spacers installed, I can swap between the screens in about 5 minutes (or less) so it seems like a good way to go.

More pics?

Open heart surgery at home:

0721211116.jpg

On a trip to Wisconsin with friends:

0520211215_HDR.jpg

Playing photo tag:

0309211332_HDR.jpg
    SocalRob, Baldy, BCC and 3 others like this.