Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Oh, forgot to mention -- my RADAR is now active. I've been playing with the Adaptive Cruise Control. It's freaky.

I'd experienced it in a rental Toyota prior, so was not a complete surprise. However, I hadn't experienced a motorcycle braking on its own before. I'm glad my dealer tech gave me a complete rundown on how it operates before having to find out in real time. I was able to successfully follow another bike using ACC, though if you try to ride close in staggered formation, it loses track of the followed bike at times. You just have to give yourself a bit more space.

The blind spot detection is really neat -- I can see that being worth the price of admission all by itself.
  2. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s what I’m finding as well. I could take or leave the ACC as long as I have normal cruise but I really like the blind spot detection.
    portiadog and brianpc like this.
  3. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to find out if it will let you ride with hands off the bars and ACC on. I was wondering if there are sensors in the grips. Cant see it braking for you if your riding no hands.
  4. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    There are no sensors to detect whether or not you have one or two hands on the controls. Yes, it will roll off throttle and brake even if you have your arms crossed. DAMHIK.
    KeithU, portiadog and rick danger like this.
  5. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Wow, suprised. In this litigious day and age.
  6. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about the two different wheels, cast vs. spoke. Has anyone ridden the bike with spoked wheel and then cast? Is there a noticeable difference in the dynamics? Handling, acceleration, etc.
    Blakduk likes this.
  7. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear
    Very much so as it is nearly $3000 more for spokes. :ear:eek2
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I told you it didn't care if you hands where on the bars or not. They had us riding around with our right hand by our side.
  9. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I'm genuinely curious where you see that much of a price difference. When I went through the bike configurator on Ducati.com (earlier in 2021, clearly) the MSRP difference between cast and spoked wheels was $600.
  10. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    I’ll take a screen shot and edit this post when I’m on the PC.
    Edit: As explained below, looks like my reference is to purchasing ADDITIONAL wheels...
  11. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure where it is exactly - or how the numbers match up - but it's a $600 difference if you're adding cast vs. spoked on the V4S.. I guess that's the difference in wheel selection. If you're looking at the V4S Sport and swapping in spoked wheels, as the Sport comes equipped with cast, it shows it as a $3k option, which I'm presuming is an accessory, not an equipment swap.
    I'm probably not explaining it correctly, but AFAICT the V4S it's an option selection hence the lower price difference, whereas the V4S sport it's an add-on equipment accessory as you're purchasing a 2nd set of wheels outright.
    Blakduk likes this.
  12. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-8-8_16-50-25.png

This is from DucatiOmaha.com, and AFAIK this is the MSRP if purchasing the spoked wheels separately.
    brianpc and Blakduk like this.
  13. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Well explained thanks.
    What about:
  14. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my worthless and completely ancecdotal opinion, but the V4S i test rode had spoked wheels, my V4S Sport has cast. Nothing stands out in my memory that would highlight a significant immediate noticeable difference in riding feel, as far as I can remember.
    I rode the test bike and my bike on comparably similar offroad parking lot / dirt pulloffs / roads, albeit not anything major or involved, and both bikes handled very well - again, no "plow" feeling and low-slung weight in the dirt stuff. If anybody in SoCal with spoked wheels on a V4S wants to swap for a few miles we can test thoroughly. :)
    motoman12 and Blakduk like this.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Yup, how well balanced the bike is overall it what stuck out to me.
    motoman12 likes this.
  16. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you gentlemen. To clarify, I'm looking to see if the difference noticed is similar to moving from cast to carbon fiber wheels (on a 17"). I have cast wheels on a MTS 950. I have spokes on a Desert Sled. The difference is negligible when riding and I'm not even comparing apples to apples. So, the reason for my question is bc my dealer will be having a demo coming up for sale that has spokes. I suppose I could always purchase CAST wheels for less than spoked wheels?

@Blakduk I can see your point $3,000 lighter in your hind pocket will certainly help!
  17. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    motoman12, my gut feeling is that you won't notice a difference between the wheel types, unless you are specifically tuned to do so. So, if you have your eye on a demo model with spoked wheels, and it ticks all of your boxes, I would not let the wheel selection keep you from it.

Unless you really hate cleaning spoked wheels.
    motoman12 likes this.
  18. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    What's the weight difference between the spoked wheels and the cast wheels?

As it's unsprung mass, it will generally be more noticeable than any weight on the sprung part of the bike obviously. However, since it's already quite a heavy bike, perhaps the difference in feel is a little bit less noticeable? You'd expect the spoked wheels to give a slightly slower flickability to the bike.

But boy, they do look much better imo :).
    motoman12 likes this.
  19. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh boy! I did forget how much I hate cleaning spokes!! Even so, has anyone applied ACF 50 to the spoke to help with corrosion? Any other treatments that work?
  20. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    When I (rarely) clean my wheels, I use a spoke brush and it makes quick work of the grime. I've yet to see any corrosion on my spokes, they are stainless. My Enduro had similar wheels and the spokes never had an issue.
    motoman12 likes this.