Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. portiadog

portiadog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got off the pavement with a dealer led group this past Sunday. Northwestern NC and up into Virgnia. Nothing too technical, but a beautiful day and a great ride.

Attached Files:

Blakduk and motoman12 like this.
  2. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    how did you like her ‘off road’?
  3. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    are those aux lights connected to the Ducati switch? or did you use a separate switch
  4. portiadog

Oddometer:
    I’d want risers if I was going to be frequently off road but enduro mode is great. Definitely helped to let the rear ended work it’s way through some soft stuff.

Also the motor is really easy to control at low RPM in slow speed maneuvers, like the GS. Never got any chugging.

Also this was not technical. Country road ride of gravel and dirt, but no really gnarly or potholed forest service roads or single track.
    Blakduk and Requiem84 like this.
  5. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Clearwater doesn’t have a CANopener for this bike. The fork lights are always on when power is on, the yellows are switched and dimmable with added controls on the bars.
  6. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone been able to find a place to buy a service manual for the V4? I'd like to do my own service, even an oil change isn't listed in the owners manual.
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Not yet, but on the lookout.
  8. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 11.46.46 AM.png
    Blakduk, fossil, BCC and 5 others like this.
  9. portiadog

Oddometer:
  10. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I have family here until mid-Sept, so I can't take delivery until then. Who should I interview over Zoom who owns one and is doing cool rides with it?
  11. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd vote @portiadog and @Yossarian™ based on posts and reports so far. I'm getting mine back from 1st service tomorrow so I haven't done any cool rides yet. :/
    Baldy, Blakduk and portiadog like this.
  12. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite n00b

Oddometer:
    I just spent two days on a Multi V4 and three on a 1250GS. This is what I got out of the last 5 days: If you are going to ride any serious off-road, buy the GS. If mainly street riding, buy the V4. Both bikes are kind of "do it all" bikes, but there are a few major differences. The biggest thing that makes the GS the off-road choice is the protection those two large cylinders provide. You can drop that bike over and over again off-roading (which you will do at times if doing anything more technical in nature) and your chances of damage are very low. Most of the time you won't even put a scratch on the bike. This is a big deal that makes a person want to push the bike, knowing the consequences to the bike won't be significant. Also with those low cylinders, no other bike has the balanced low speed feel of the GS. This is very good in technical off-road as well. Finally, that twin has torque from idle which makes everything easier off road. Although the GS can hit the on-road hard and be driven quite aggressively and be very enjoyable, it does not match the V4 on road. The GS torquey engine which is great for off road becomes less exciting on road. No where near as happy revving as the V4, nor does it provide the constant pull of the V4. It's handling, while good, is not as sharp as the V4. Also, the quick shifter is seamless on the V4 and makes you want to just point and shoot out of corners, whereas the GS quick shifter is extremely clunky in the 1st three gears. I would use the clutch for 1-2-3 and then after that use the quick shifter. One major thing about the V4 in challenging off road, although it is not as balanced as the GS but still quite good with capable suspension, the crash protection is horrible. The crash bars are not that strong, bend easily, and are too close to the fairing. If you are dropping that bike off road regularly, be prepared for significant damage compared to the GS. If I was sport touring with some gravel and fire roads thrown in, I'd be on a V4 multi. If I was to do ANY single track type riding or any technical off road riding, I would not even consider it. It would be a GS for sure.

Both bikes are amazing, just in their own ways.
    Baldy, Blakduk, pistole and 7 others like this.
  13. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    @ArcticWhite thanks for sharing your thoughts!

my first reaction: would anyone buy either a GS or a MTS V4 for (technical) off road?

I think 90% of the GS’s and V4’s will never get of the tarmac. The remaining 9% will sometimes be on easy fire roads etc and less than 1% will take it into gnarly stuff.

The use case for both bikes is imo road, travel and the very occasional easy dirt road.
    SocalRob and Baldy like this.
  14. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure this is the case. If it was, there wouldn't be much decision as most of the adventure bikes do the basics well. When pushed the differences really start to show.

I can say everyone I ride with that has an adventure bike does off road that is more than just riding a gravel road.

Here's some pics of me from the last 5 days. received_535987624188817.jpg received_286034353290166.jpg 20210809_125515.jpg
    Baldy and Blakduk like this.
  15. portiadog

Oddometer:
    I think you nailed it with this write up. Great job clearly highlighting the specific strengths and weaknesses.
    Baldy and Blakduk like this.
  16. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite n00b

Oddometer:
    There were more. I could definitely comment on ergonomics, electronics, etc. Since I am looking to buy, I spent a lot of time pushing the bikes on and off road and using all their features.
    Blakduk likes this.
  17. portiadog

Oddometer:
    Would love to hear more. Sounds like you’re the guy Baldy should talk to.

The biggest question is, are you going to buy one?
    Baldy likes this.
  18. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, but I have to try the latest KTM 1290 before I do.
    zzzak, Blakduk and portiadog like this.
  19. coloktmGS

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to see what you think. I gotta think you’ll be revising your take on the PanAmerica. Have fun!
    Baldy likes this.
  20. coloktmGS

Oddometer:
    The answer is no, people don’t buy GS’s for technical off-road. I’ve been to every event from March Moto Madness to GS Giant events and ridden with some of the most capable off-roaders in the world. The reality is, the small dual sport 500exc and middle weight 790/890/Tenere etc bikes are the answer for technical gnarly stuff and while there are 20-30 guys who ride a 1200 GS to their max on trails, this market is small and most of them know eachother from GS Trophy style events.

Most of these bikes never leave the pavement and those that do (and many do), are mostly for very light off-road and fire road use. Picking a 1200cc adv bike based on crash damage propensity is like choosing a sports car from parking lot bumper damage ratings.

the reality is also that the v4 multi is better in pretty much every way for these use cases. It’s more fun, more interesting, and has the ability to make the most boring roads fun with top level tech and a motor that can entertain for miles.

it’s truly the best in class. I own one and and I’ve had a lot of bikes, this one gives me the smiles of the character of a 640ADV, but the reliability and comfort for long rides if a GS. Just buy one.
    zzzak, Baldy, LowOnFuel and 1 other person like this.