Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. DucSyd

DucSyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bicycle is a little beauty. Made by Bianchi in Italy it’s a work of art. It’s light and small, and has in hub gears and carbon and alloy pieces. It’s in the MOTOGP red colour with a Corse plaque on the headstock. It’s about 5 years old now. I use it to ride around my little village where I live. I always get asked about it when I park it. I have a trek electric MTB for doing trails and I am seeing if I can get one of the new Ducati electric MTB’s delivered to Australia to add to the stable.
    motoman12, jimmex and goodhorsey like this.
  2. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @DucSyd I see TWO more covered Ducatis in the background, is one a Desert Sled?
  3. DucSyd

DucSyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi motoman, there is actually 3 bikes under covers in that photo, one is a scrambler, but it’s an 1100 Sport. A nice big 1100 air cooled twin with ohlins suspension in Matt black, it’s a sweet ride.
    motoman12 likes this.
  4. TommyTuenz

TommyTuenz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my V4S last week. Traded an 850GSA in on it. I've been mostly a BMW guy but this Duc has some advantages over the GS bikes. First, the quickshifter is a gem. It works even on the 1-2 upshift and it doesn't clunk like a worn-out TorqueFlight from the olden days. The waist of the bike is much narrower than you expect it to be. This adds a level of comfort because your legs are not splayed out to obscene angles. The back-lighting on the switchgear is not something I thought much about, but it is brilliant.

As for the electronics everyone loves to bitch about, meh. We all use computers every day. This system on the Multi is intuitive. I figured it out without even glancing at the manual. Most of those features are set-and-forget items anyway. I can't wait to try out the cruise control whenever our bureaucrats get around to approving its use.

Again, I see lots of complaints about the price. The travel & radar is just shy of $25K. But it comes with the panniers, which are always an add-on with BMW. This Multi still isn't the most expensive bike I've had. That honor goes to the Option 719 1250 RT I spent a year with. For a premium feature-laden moto do-it-all, the Duc is competitive with other bikes in the range.

So, really enjoying it now during the break-in. Went out yesterday to get petrol and coffee beans and I just. kept. going. What else can we ask of our motos?
    wengland, twinrider and rick danger like this.
  5. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Did you have the bike already and return it for the recall?
  6. TommyTuenz

TommyTuenz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My VIN isn’t affected by that recall.
    rick danger likes this.
  7. Azang2t2

Azang2t2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

How does it compare to the 1200 or 1260?
  8. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    What aspect(s) in particular? My previous machine was a 1200 Enduro, so I can try to answer queries that deal with comparisons between two 19" front flagship bikes from Ducati.
  9. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Youtube clip where an individual performs a scale weight on both a V4 and a GS.

Bottom line:

Unfuelled weight V4 = 530 lbs
    Unfuelled weight GS = 569 lbs

wengland, Requiem84 and rick danger like this.
  10. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Wish he had a 1290 there as well.
    Saltboxlad likes this.
  11. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This seems like a pretty unfair comparison to me. The BMW has tons of gear installed including upper and lower crash bars and massive fog lights. He mentions the Akrapovic slip-on being lighter than stock, but it's only about 1.5 lbs lighter.
  12. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Show me a GS that has left the dealership without crash bars.
  13. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    The one I just bought. The GSA comes with crash bars installed, but the regular GS does not. Plenty of people with the regular GS don’t install crash bars (and certainly not upper crash bars). Not sure what your point is. If you’re going to compare weights, it just seems fair to compare similarly spec’d bikes.

Here's a more fair comparison: https://advrider.com/f/threads/will...-erode-gs-sales.1478653/page-11#post-41874607. The GS they reviewed did have fog lights, cylinder head covers, and the slightly lighter Akra slip-on exhaust installed (the Ducati also had an Akra slip-on). The GS was 11 lbs heavier.

991C35D6-0B87-4FB9-8CC9-EF91E53C4E7B.jpeg
  14. murdock2002

murdock2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking steed. Did you get your GS at Dulles or Morton's?
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  15. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    Morton's! Dulles is also awesome, but it's a bit further away from me.
    murdock2002 likes this.
  16. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My GS didn't have crash bars either, I'm just awesome like that.

I believe his point is, the GS is going to be heavier and usually farkled. The Multistrada coming closer to GS weight class speaks more about the Multi's fatassedness increasing - the GS's fatassery is well-documented and not a shock.
  17. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    the crash bars and lights on the GS are only 3 to 4 kilos , combined.

Immaterial in the final analysis.

Whether its the GS or the V4 or the 1290 or whatever = these are all heavy bikes.
  18. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    Frankly, my 1250 GS feels light as a feather above 5 mph anyway. The weight is only annoying rolling the bike in and out of the garage. Coming to a smooth stop has also taken just a little bit of practice. It’s actually quite uncanny how light and nimble the GS feels in the twisties. That’s what sold me on the bike in the first place.

If you are doing aggressive off-roading, then obviously the weight will become a liability. Few people buying either these bikes are going to do much off-roading though, despite what the marketing materials would suggest.
  19. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive got a weigh bridge just down the road, keep meaning to take the 1290 in and get a real figure
    rick danger likes this.
  20. wengland

wengland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following for more ride reports. Had a 2021 S Sport on reserve; had to let it go when the Subaru let go of the motor (again). Planning on a '22 or '23 S Sport.

Currently riding an FJR1300 with the bigass V-Stream screen on it. How's the wind protection on the V4 Multi? Debating if I keep the FJR for stupid cold rides. It's effectively worthless (may be able to sell it for $2500 if I'm lucky), but it takes up a ton of garage space.