Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, now just another Italian bike I need to look at!
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW I'm using this currently:

https://www.amazon.com/FOBO-Pressur...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

And it works very well. Does updates about every 30sec-1min so you can keep it on while riding to see your tires warm up. You can also check the pressures (in PSI, too - how decadent and ostentatious!!!!!) while the bike is parked since the caps are battery-powered over a weak BT to the phone, so they don't need to roll a bit first like the OEM TPMS sensors (KTM / BMW in-wheel sensors are the same).
    SocalRob likes this.
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Really did want something to give pressure before setting off, because that's the time to ADD AIR if needed!
    SocalRob and brianpc like this.
  4. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you find the bike for lane splitting, especially at lower speeds. Also curious how useful the blind spot alert feature is, especially for freeway riding & lane changes.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Its smaller through the middle and on the bar than a 1200, and the blind spot feature is basically just a light on the mirror, it works. When you look at the mirror and the light is on you should likely head check....for my method of lane splitting that is of little value, just cruising in lane its a different proposition. The ACC is another matter, that is money.

For reference with the panniers off I lane split 100s of kilometers at a shot with the 1200, largely on lanes that aren't up to a full US spec 12' width.
    SocalRob likes this.
  6. brianpc

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ What Tripped1 said. All the weight feels very down low and the tank fairing + dash + screen make it feel like it's heavy up top / wide but it's not - splitting is fine, low speed is AMAZING and it's what sold me on the test ride. I felt immediately at home banging out quick parking lot / street u-turns and slow speed maneuvers.

Also, like Tripped1 I usually ride w/ top case only but the panniers are no wider than my other Multistradas were, or other loaded bikes w/ panniers. My widest I think was my 1190R with touratech hard cases or probably my GS with moskos and they were fine.

Also - the pivot feature of the panniers is cool on this bike, and so is the "sliding" baseplate for the Ducati (givi-branded) topcase for this bike - it allows the weight to shift/move on the pivot points so it's not stressing the hard plastic at the mount points. Very trick.
    num1husker likes this.
  7. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    The top case has a moving feature as well?

The panniers were pretty trick, got a pick of that baseplate?
  8. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Here's the best I can do - sorry for not making it a mov or gif but it doesn't move *that much*. :)

If you look at the top part where the topcase would hook on / lock in, underneath that baseplate is a 2nd plate, and it sits on some sort of gliding track, I'd guesstimate about 1" of travel at most, but it's got resistance on it - maybe fluid in a track / etc - I dunno? It doesn't slide back and forth easily and doesn't slam into position as part of the travel - very nice piece of kit for a topcase mount. So if anybody posts up asking for topcase recommendations, I'll now always say "Ducati / Givi" haha.

givibaseplate.jpg
  9. cozye

cozye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Explain this pivot feature ?

The sliding baseplate is what comes with the Ducati top case ? I have a Ducati top case on my 1200 and it doesnt have this feature.
  10. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Yeah the 1200s have nothing like the pannier mount system.

The panniers are straight drop in, and the rear mount is slides laterally about an 1-1.5" and is damped, so its not just a slam back and forth, I wanted to put a bunch of crap in it and try it, but I got grounded by a thunderstorm.
  11. panicos

panicos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A question for the MTS V4 owners: how is the warm coming up from the engine to the left leg? Is it a show stopper? Is it very annoying, does it get hotter a and hotter as you ride it?
    I test rode before a 1260 MTS enduro, which was very hot on both sides; then i did a test ride with the new V4 and i found out again some heat but only on the left foot. My test was quite short and at relatively slow speeds, mostly through a small town. I don't know how it feels on a long trip nor in a very hot summer city traffic.
  12. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    If it's like the pannier mounts, there is a rubber damper in the system. I've had mine apart and have a fair understanding of how the inner workings, er, work.

wrk.png
    brianpc likes this.
  13. brianpc

Oddometer:
    As Tripped1 said - the pivot stuff for the panniers is new to the V4S. This baseplate (see my picture and Yossarian's diagram) is also new and pivots so the weight of the cases isn't stressing at the plastic mount points. These are not on your 1200 - you know this is the V4 posting, right? :)

I have been riding in socal temps on my V4S since July (90+) and not noticed excessive heat, but YMMV. I also owned an 1190 before so I have noticed leg heat issues on bikes before. I also owned a 1200GS and that thing had some heat throwing off it to the legs - it goes away if you point your knees out (get fresh air) or stand up, but people don't talk about the GSes having excessive heat at the legs, do they? Or maybe I didn't pay attention.
  14. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    In theory that is the reason for the fish gills in the back of the body fairing, to direct the engine heat around the rider.
  15. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    If my understanding is correct, the "fish gills" throw the hot air from the radiators out the side of the bike, while the two pairs of fresh air scoops are ducting clean air directly to the rider, creating a small pressure differential in the knee and thigh area that will cause the hot air to flow around the rider without creating an excess of heat transfer to the rider.

Of course, for all that to work, you need air movement. So, in stop-and-go traffic, it's less effective.
  16. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Every bike gets hot in stop and go traffic.....and the more powerful the bike the faster its going to happen.
    jimmex, brianpc and BCC like this.
  17. portiadog

portiadog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    People often assume engine size = heat, but you nailed it here. Horsepower creates heat.
    brianpc likes this.
  18. cozye

cozye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes, I know this is the V4 thread. Just FYI, I’m “zemurray” over on the ducati forum. I’ve been on this one much longer with a different username. I’m still researching and evaluating the V4 vs GS.
  19. brianpc

Oddometer:
    My apologies, i didn't mean it to come off snarky - I mean that the V4S topcase baseplate and shifting pannier setup are brand-new and specific to this bike, was just clarifying.

If you want my unsolicited and nickel's-worth-of-free-advice, having owned both - if you love what the Multistrada is and the excitement / sportiness of it, go for the V4S over the GS. The GS is great but it's not a Multistrada. The V4S is 100% Multistrada with just enough GS in the right places (comfort, longer service intervals, good technology) but still kicks ass.
  20. Advdreamin

Advdreamin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I currently own a 2015 GSA 1200 and I am considering either a V4 or a KTM 1290. The GSA is nice but way too wide with the large tank and I would like a little more thrilling performance. I also have a proper dual sport so all out off-road is not the maIn goal so probably just fire roads for off-roading. I know this is the Ducati section but what does everyone think about the KTM?