Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I think *personal opinion* that they are great bikes, when all's going well, but in my experience on them I've had to deal with so many electrical gremlins that I've pretty much ruled them out.
  2. cozye

cozye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries at all my friend. No snarky perceived.

I think we exchanged a few reply’s on the ducati forum. I do love my 2012, but I ride two up 90% of the time now and want to do some much longer trips. I’ve demo’d the V4s twice now, once with my wife on the back. It’s definitely more comfortable and has better wind aerodynamics. I know the bikes are very close with some different trade offs. It’s all so subjective. In either case they will be much different than what I’m used to, but as I get older I’m willing to compromise some for long distance comfort and all around refinement. My days of 3x the speed limit and making fun of people with chicken strips are over.. LOL

How do you find the smoothness of air flow, buffeting, etc.. between the two. Do you ride two up? You had the 1200 GS right, not the 1250? Not the GSA? I’d probably be looking at the GS, not the adventure. I was supposed to ride one today but they sold it Sunday.
  3. jw78

jw78 n00b

Oddometer:
    I changed my own tires on my 2021 V4 S Sport and can tell you there is not TPMS sensors in them. I guess its possible on the 2022, but I'd be very surprised. They are identical in every other way. I share other's opinion that this bike at this price range should have come with TPMS and they should display PSI or BAR. IMO it also should have come with the keyless fuel cap. I made that upgrade, but there's no reason for that to have not been standard equipment on this model.
    motocopter and brianpc like this.
  4. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 2017.5 1200 GS - it was the rallye paint edition but it was a standard GS. in my experience the windscreen on the GS was bunk - the V4S Multistrada's screen + bodywork + 'winglets' below the fairing / screen really cut the wind well, as well as the one-handed adjustment slide being the best on any motorcycle ever, haha. :) It made the Multi seem huge and like it would be topheavy upon my first test ride, but I found out it wasn't the case and the wind deflection is amazing. @Yossarian™ purchased a Givi windscreen which is a bit larger than OEM and said it's great for better wind protection over stock, so I bought one but haven't installed it yet - maybe if I do a tour soon - but the OEM has performed much better than the stock GS screen did for wind protection. I do not ride 2up.
    The GS is decent and comfortable but the Multi just feels better, more comfortable, and I feel more at home on it than I ever did on the GS - or for that matter, my KTM 1290 GT, too.

Good to know - thank you!. I stand by my opinion that I won't purchase a keyless fuel cap until it can be opened with the key as a failsafe - not sure why they don't have that on this, as BMW does a keyed gascap that functions keyless the same way the Multi's does - unlocks for 60 secs after shutting off the bike then locks - but no key = no way to open it to put gas in the bike if it fails, and early caps did this. Carry a hex key for the tank cap bolts. :)
    cozye likes this.
  5. jw78

jw78 n00b

Oddometer:
    Or just carry a lighter so if the fuel cap ever doesn't open, just hose the bike down in fuel, light it up, and call the insurance company.
  6. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think, young man. I carry a lighter and an old shop rag for this very purpose. If I drop it in the parking lot at Starbucks, you know how it's going down. Go big or go home!
    pro69ss likes this.
  7. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    alot of cctv cameras at petrol stations. Burn your bike somewhere else for safety
  8. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I havent sat on a V4 multi, but in the past I've found Ducatis a bit cramped , and gelled more with the roomier ergo's of the KTM. Either the Duc or the 1290 will give you the "more thrilling performance".
  9. Ocotillo Boy

Ocotillo Boy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    V4 is more roomy than the GSA
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    I traded in my 1090 for a v4. Originally the 1090 seemed better as it sounded as though the 1290 was a little sketchy with its electronics. The 1090 was perfect with reliability , but it was way more simple. The v4 carries its weight way lower, and needless to say is in another world for street riding. It is roomy, but what is nice is the reach to the bars is a bit less ,so more relaxed.
    SocalRob and jimmex like this.
  11. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just put a deposit down on a V4S, with spoke wheels, that I will pickup within the week. Have the tour pack (top case may be ugly but here in land of lane splitting it is super useful for about town). and off road pack (engine bars and aux. lights) on order.

Did a couple of test rides, the bike is very easy on the street. Almost no vibration, very quiet. Goes where ever pointed. Very smooth fueling and slow second gear turns very smooth. Not at all snatch. I will not likely be interested in pipes or chips.

I set the dynamic cruise at 98mph, had some clear space ahead until I changed lanes and the bike slowed down pretty hard to maintain space ahead. The rear blind spot alert worked as advertised. With minimal instruction I was able to figure out the menus including heated grips and heated seat (it was a chilly 60 something day here in LA. In sport mode the bike was a little rough over LA freeway expansion joints, in tour mode it smoothed out nicely.

Looking forward to this bike. A serious upgrade over my 2007 GSA in every way except tank range.
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Sounds like a great upgrade.
    SocalRob likes this.
  13. brianpc

Oddometer:
    ok who’s buying one?
  14. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I got to say, I'm pretty happy with the one I already have. I believe that my v4s is probably a more versatile bike than the pikes peak version.

I don't want higher pegs and narrower bars.
    I don't want to give up Enduro mode. (When I go to the track, I use a dedicated track bike.)
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Not immediately, no need for a sport tourer on a 30x40 Island.
    brianpc likes this.
  16. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw the details on the Pikes Peak today. The upgraded suspension & beautiful forged wheels more than justify the price increase, but for me I still like the 19” with spokes. I am picking mine up tomorrow.
  17. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I am currently looking at making some moves to get a PP version into my garage some time year. Ticks all my boxes. Since the topic of reliability has come up, how has the V4 been for everyone?

And in regards to KTM's, I've had 3 for while (690, 1190 and 1290 SD). Outside of some small niggles with the 690 Enduro and 1190, they were rock solid, both mechanically and electrically. I abused the 690 pretty good on the trails and held up very well. 1190 saw 35K miles of mostly road touring duties and always got me home. I follow a few long distance motorcycle groups on FB and there are some RTW folks that chime in when they can, they just happen to be all on 1190 and seem to be doing well for them as well. My 1290 SD was a different story. Left me stranded once because the antenna for the FOB sensor pick-up went bad. Quickshifter went bad on me as well. Also throw some random codes on occasion. KTM's are easy to work on, provide a good kick in the pants and very capable motorcycles but I would probably avoid any KTM that does not require a physical key to get it started.
  18. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Ducati's keyless system is significantly better thought out than KTMs.

Hell I rode a rented 1200 Multistrada that the proximity key didn't work at all, no issues getting the bike started, you can fire it up with a code in the dash.
  19. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. jw78

jw78 n00b

Oddometer:
    Almost 12k miles on my V4 Multi and zero issues so far.
    BCC likes this.