Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. wwace

wwace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do I buy in with this years V4S Multi or wait for the Pikes 22? That is my question, I do have a serious hardon for the V4 Ducati.
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Wind protection is very particular to each rider. I'd suggest that you try a test ride.
  3. TommyTuenz

TommyTuenz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checking in here. I have 300 miles on the V4S now. Great bike all around.

Two quirks that reinforce the, uh, experience of owning a Ducati. The switch to turn the bike on or off is ridiculous. (Why does it turn counterclockwise? Who knows...Why do you have to hold it for 34 minutes before the steering lock will engage? It's a feature!) And the cubby that people are supposed to put their phones in is terribly designed. It pops open on its own whenever you open the gas cap or in hot sun or on the third Tuesday after a full moon. I should super glue that mother closed...

It is a joy to ride though, so those trifles disappear in a smudgy blur of rosso-colored exhaust gasses as soon as you fire it up.

Cheers!
  4. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I've yet to experience this, and have had the bike for a couple of months. Is it possible that you are not getting it securely closed?
  5. crsavage

crsavage Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 500k on my V4 and agree with you. My iphone mini hardly fits, its so tight I don't want to put it in. Also small things will roll to the bottom and are very hard to get out. I am also having a very hard time figuring out how to reset trip 1 values.
  6. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Long press the joystick in the down position to select the lower set of values on the screen. Then, press down/up on the joystick to select Trip 1 or Trip 2. Finally, long press inward on the joystick to reset the value.
  7. crsavage

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much. I reset it . It was far easier on the 2016. Cheers
  8. crsavage

Oddometer:
    I hated the look of the licence plate light mounted on the side, so I modified it to the usual position. After thinking about that I wondered if somehow it would interfere with the rear radar? Here in Canada it is not operational yet. Anybody have any thoughts on the matter?
  9. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a question about the wheels - spoked vs. cast wheels. Both are tubeless and presumably (?) in 19"F/17"R will take the same tire options / sizes (I think?).
    Aside from aesthetics, what's advantages of each? Weight? Spokes for offroad? What's the benefits/drawbacks, really? Why wouldn't one get a V4S and kit it out for street / sport touring but get the spoked wheels "just in case" of enduro use?

I get the aesthetics but are there any real advantages otherwise?
  10. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Yes, both are tubeless. Same tire sizes.

Spoked wheels are heavier, but are far stronger. I hit crap on my Enduro that would definitely have deformed a cast wheel, but the spoked took zero damage.

I chose spoked on my V4S because I will take it off pavement, and over very rough roads, etc.
    brianpc likes this.
  11. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    My view, it's about whether you want to run low tyre pressures for extended sporty use on soft surfaces.

On gravel roads I dont think it's likely you will flatten a cast rim at tarmac pressures unless you hit something hard enough to bottom out the front suspension. With Skyhook that should never happen.

It will depend a bit on your usage. High speeds with big loads on soft stock springs could well be too much if you hit a sharp step.

Spoked rims may be stronger or more resilient.

Ride hard with tyre pressures lowered for grip on loose surfaces and cast rims will be at risk even with light loads.

My guess is most people who buy these bikes won't need spoked rims but some will. If you enjoy getting a big bike loose on sketchy roads/tracks and want to do that a lot on this bike then yes. If you treat gravel backroads as scenic routes to navigate gingerly, and save your sporty ambitions for tarmac, then cast will be fine.

Of course you can always be very unlucky. But that's true of tarmac too.
    usedtobefast likes this.
  12. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    I rode a V4S yesterday for (only) an hour during a Ducati demo day in Amsterdam.

I was quite happy, because this was the cheapest hour of 2021 for me, since it saves me about 30k from my wallet :). Yes, it is a great bike. Yes it steers fantastic, the engine is a peach and tractable from low revs smoothly, yes the dash is next level, yes yes yes.

BUT, it's so good, that half way during the ride I forgot I was riding a Ducati. The engine noise is subdued, the engine is (too?) perfect. This is more like a labrador motorbike, doing everything you ask it duly. It's not a bike that is constantly teasing you by saying 'hey buddy, you could have take that corner a bit faster didn't you'? In essence, for me Ducati is taking a very large leap towards the more mainstream motorcycle world and outside the niche they once were.

So I liked the bike from an objective standpoint. But I did not like the bike from a subjective view. It didn't rattle my soul. Unfortunately, that means I will now have to look into other brands to find a similar type of motorbike that 'does it all', but instills more emotions for me.
    matted and Dirt2007 like this.
  13. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    ^ maybe you should stick with the 1260
  14. brianpc

Oddometer:
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    rick danger likes this.
  16. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Based on only the photos we have:

SSSA
    Ohlins
    17" front

I'm intrigued but I also would prefer Skyhook over the Ohlins. Yeah yeah, I know Ohlins is top shelf but the Skyhook is f---ing amazing and I like the behavioral switch between riding modes in the dynamic suspension and engine / throttle response.

Then I go and watch reviews like this, which are emotionally traumatic for me:

From my own test ride, the new Multi's balance of comfortable ergos for touring and flat-out sporty characteristics from the motor are damn near perfect. It's very GS-like but it's also very Multistrada-like - I'd argue that it's the best of both bikes in this package.
    The reviewer is right about the feel, power, behavior of this bike - and then he gets to the gas mileage, which is quickly becoming a hot topic. Very interested in reading owners' experiences about fuel consumption as time goes on. This guy spent 350mi on that Multi and observed 150mi tank range and I'm trying to decide if I could live with it. Amazing to wonder what it'd be if they kept the power / top end from the Streetfighter v4!

More research continues... I am conflicted.
    hypersports and rick danger like this.
  17. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    My riding gets me 200 or more miles between fills. I will report back after next week's trip to the Wisconsin driftless region.
  18. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Just what I was thinking ,about the streetfighter tune. But I'm gonna guess they wont. Probably would steal to many sales. Well, good news anyway on this V4 PP. I look at this thread all the time waiting to hear something about it. Not likely I'll make a move to it right now, but it will be the closest thing to what I want. Definitely want to sit on and see it when its around.
    matted and brianpc like this.
  19. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Not to be nitpick mcnags-a-lot but can you elaborate on details for your riding, riding mode, etc? 5th/6th gear cruising? urban 100hp or full beans 170hp sport mode? in-town rides or out-and-back sporty loops, commuting, etc?

Reason is - I rarely "cruise" on my out-and-back fun rides, and even when putting I'll keep my 1290 (and 1200 multi) in 3rd or 4th (40-50mph) because the engine is smooth at the rpms (usually 5k?) and it's nice to blip and have the power there. Maybe the V4 having tq and lots of power means it'll smoothly cruise in a higher gear and save some fuel.

Regardless, thanks for posting your experience. The journalist hot takes of 150-170mi per tank are reasonable if they're going out on weekend / week long rides and blasting it for the full 350mi - but normal owners might see 200+ with just regular riding.
  20. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Sport and Touring modes only. Lots of highway. 6th gear at 55 to 85 is very smooth.
    motoman12 likes this.