Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. wwace

wwace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could care less as long as it is over 30mpg. I think if you rode it easy you could stretch 190-200 without much trouble but that throttle will be constantly taunting you to turn fuel into fun.
    My current F800GS only goes 180 or so so it wouldn't be a big issue.
    matted and brianpc like this.
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should I buy one?
    jimmex likes this.
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Can't answer that for you.

If the desire is not too all-consuming, perhaps wait until your pikes peak version is ready.
    rick danger likes this.
  4. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    :nono Patience grasshopper
    brianpc likes this.
  5. brianpc

Oddometer:
    The ohlins in the Pikes Peak spy pic is what's driving the temptation. I'm curious if it's the dynamic ohlins (like found on the streetfighter / panigale v4) and if it will mimic the skyhook dynamic behavior (tight and responsive in sport, couch comfy in touring, soft in enduro, etc) so that's the big unknown for me. the skyhook is that great.
    Also will dynamic ohlins push the PP to the $30k price point? Maybe $28k?

After test riding it and liking the comfort + sport balance it seems to have done well at, it's moved to high on the list.
    The new S1000XR looks good but it doesn't look like it'd be as comfortable as the Multi (very similar to the 1200 multi) and the new KTM 1290 SAS not coming until next year moves that way down the list.

We'll see. I love my 1290 SDGT but after riding the comfy multi and having some upcoming long distance tours this summer/fall, I am being drawn towards the comfy couch sportbike haha.
  6. crsavage

crsavage Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 2014 Multi then a 2016 and now the V4 I love it so far, but I only have 1000k on it. I had 2 recalls on the 2016 , a brake master cylinder and a hose issue neither one failed. Other than that not a hiccup it was/is a great bike. If the V4 is as reliable I will be a happy old guy. The engine has a very linear power delivery, no shuddering at all. I am even wondering if a 17 tooth engine sprocket would fit as for me I don't need the low end.
  7. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be very surprised if the Ohlins system on the PP model adopts the Skyhook principle, where sensors measure axle acceleration and a computer uses that data to adjust solenoid controlled damper valves in real time.

Almost certainly Ohlins will supply a passive system, where damper rates are preset and the dynamic element merely adjusts bleed passages that have minor effects on the preset valving (by allowing more or less fluid to bypass the shim-controlled valves).

The key advantage of the Ohlins system will be that you can work with a suspension shop to adjust springs and valves for your use envelope. If they use an electronic preload interface, that might limit spring options to the capacity of the preload pump. And so I hope they don't even do that.

If you love Skyhook I doubt you'll find the Ohlins gear offers a better experience. If you're frustrated by the limitations of Skyhook, and want more freedom to set up the bike for your preferences, then it is likely the Ohlins alternative will bring you more options.
    hypersports, rick danger and brianpc like this.
  8. waderman

waderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have a Multi-Strada 950S and was thinking about upgrading to the V4S. I’m a little concerned about the engine issues the V4S’s are having. Was it just a limited number of bikes that had engine failures or are they recalling all of them?
  9. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    It was a very limited number, due to a parts supplier.

To my knowledge, most all of the affected bikes are back in the hands of, or near returning to, their owners. None of the folks I've seen who had the engine replacement are having any issues.

I'm quite impressed with the manner in which Ducati has handled this. Affected owners were compensated with quite a few different options.

It sure beats the hell out of a manufacturer stonewalling for years, claiming that there's no issue with the final drive, or fork stanchion separation, or leaky front brake calipers, or...
    matted, Steve W. and brianpc like this.
  10. brianpc

Oddometer:
    +1 to this.

"engine issues the V4s are having" -- that's how the rumor starts haha!
    @waderman look back a few pages and there's an article and a writeup - it was a small subset of engines, and it was fixed quickly. TBH the way Ducati handled the fix + additional service and accessories makes me wish I had one of the problem bikes. :)
  11. waderman

waderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s good to know, thanks. I’m a big fan of Ducati’s. Had a multi-Strada 1200 Enduro before the 950 S.
  12. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be eyeing the new delivery of Multi V4s arriving at my dealer in 2 weeks, potentially to trade in my SDGT on a V4S. Any owners that can weigh in on accessories / etc, what's good / what's not?
    I'm considering at the red/white V4S with spoked wheels over cast, if the weight difference is negligible.

Accessories - Currently considering the topcase w/ color matched panel and the factory auxiliary lights (esp. if they are switched / part of the default lighting). I believe the travel package comes with the heated grips, topcase, and centerstand so there's not much else I would want added. Thoughts?
    Not really interested in the slip-on or other bling right now.
  13. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I've not yet added anything other than my GPS mount. I haven't found a need.
  14. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you're decided then? No PP this time. It looks like one hell of a nice package. The gentleman's sportbike/tourer. Does this V4 Multi have the Skyhook suspension that you liked so much on your last Multi?
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You know the 10-13 Multistradas HAD a mekatronic Ohlins suspension that could be upgraded to semi-active. It was better than the Skyhook IMHO. Ohlins actually sells a kit for the first gen (2010-2014) 1200s. That was one of the reasons I jumped on my former Pikes Peak.
  16. hypersports

Oddometer:
    That was a great review. Man, what a package. :thumb
  17. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I think all the V4s have skyhook? Not sure.

I liked it enough from the test ride that I think I'm pulling the trigger on a V4S. The Pikes Peak looks neat but I'll wait to see what it's all about. Worst case I'll flip the V4S into the PP if it's mind-blowingly amazing.

Only real question: Cast wheels or spoked?
    hypersports likes this.
  18. hypersports

Oddometer:
    I'd go cast. Great looing bike!
  19. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, and the new one might also have that. It still uses passive valving though. Which isnt a bad thing if that's what you prefer - I like it too.
  20. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    You know my preference.

If you are ever leaving pavement, go with spoked. Otherwise, cast should function perfectly well.