Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Looks are a factor too... :-)
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is your preference? :)

You're not wrong! TBH I think the spoked look better than the cast - that's my opinion after seeing both in person. I'm of the mind that I'd rather have the spoked on the off chance I do leave pavement, rather than vice versa.

Does anybody have weight differences of cast vs. spoked wheels for that bike (or general numbers)? Is it the 1-2lb difference in the weight specs between models on Ducati's website? The bikes should functionally be the same across any model I think?
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Crap, I thought I had posted pictures when I bought mine in March. Regardless, they are spoked.
    brianpc likes this.
  4. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But if you're running road tires then when you do venture off of the pavement you're gonna be taking it really easy. So how are you gonna do damage to the cast wheels?

Both spoked and cast look good on the bike. Cast looks more sport while I guess the spoked looks more go anywhere.
    Moronic likes this.
  5. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but I was on road tires (Metzeler Tourance) when I rode the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay on my Multi Enduro. Twice, I took really hard hits to the wheels, more specifically the rear wheel, that caused me to stop to check for wheel damage. In both instances, there had been no effect.

I'll take the spoked option, even with road tires.
    brianpc and hypersports like this.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean by passive valving.

The difference between the Ohlins and the Sachs is the theory of operation. The Skyhook has a predetermined chassis height that it aims to maintain, the ohlins operates by fork stroke. The effect is that the skyhook insulates you FROM the road and the Ohins adjusts TO the road.

I much prefer the latter.

Not to mention that the Ohins was effectively just a TTX set with servos so it was more readily rebuild-able, and I can tell you from experience it can take a LOT of abuse.
    brianpc likes this.
  7. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Passive valving: the valving is preset mechanically, and responds to hydraulic pressure. Active valving: the valving is not preset mechanically, and responds only to signals from a computer.

That's just the PR. The difference is in the method of control. As I suspect you know very well.

Exactly. And Ohlins' recommended rebuild interval for all its units in road use is about 20,000 miles, IIRC. I tend to observe that with mine.

The first-gen Skyhook I rode didn't impress me, and of course the Skyhook stuff is very hard to respring. I'd want nothing to do with it. But I'm happy to f around with Ohlins and I know what I'm looking for. Most people aren't and don't.
    Wonger20 likes this.
  8. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    While we're on Mechatronic, I'd love to know what data the Ohlins SCU pulls for deciding how it will make its adjustments. The bikes it was built for didn't have electronic wheel or stroke sensors, and the SCU kit didnt add them, so any stroke sensitivity will be purely mechanical and no different from the manual set up. Ohlins says it monitors "speed, acceleration, and various other bike parameters", but declines to reveal just what other parameters. Maybe I underestimate how sophisticated the system is. My guess is that it relies mainly on the speedo and just firms things up as you go faster. Interested to know if there is any more to it.
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Its on the CANBus with the rest of the electonics so it has all of the metrics that ECU, and ABS have.

Ohlins ALSO claims it was developed for the (now banned) WSBK semi-active suspensions.
  10. TXFezzer

TXFezzer n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, I hope my long, long, long wait will be over in the next 10 to 14 days!!!!!!!! 7 months & 2 days ago, I signed a buy order and gave my local dealer a deposit for a V4S Sport. That was a week before Ducati's official premiere. I then gave them my 2016 MTS 1200S to sell in February since by that time the "replacement" had been ordered and I was advised of a late March or early April Delivery. The 2016 MTS sold quickly ( dang it!).

Here we are at the very, very end of May and the Dealership still has not received the bike although I was told by Ducati NA that it was to leave the East Coast on Monday ( yesterday) via UPS Freight. It's three days in transit so there is still hope it will arrive soon but...............

Yes it is one of those with the afflicted Valve Guide issues so it's being shipped with a full replacement engine to be installed at the dealership. That's 2 days or more in the shop.

It's a tricked out Sport Full with Spoked wheels and Rally STR tires ( 50/50), Urban package and Enduro package (more time in the shop to be installed). I'm doing the MA BDR this fall ( I hope ) so there are some things to be worked out yet.

I'm not taking that Givi hard luggage into the Back Country so I'm trying to find soft panniers or equivalents to utilize. Unfortunately the Aftermarket suppliers are still in design and pre-production stages on most aftermarket items.

Touratech is a No Go (they have a deal exclusive thru Ducati). Sw-Moto maybe but no dates yet.

Anybody know of others that may be making pannier racks for the 2021 V4S????

BTW - I road a Demo V4S pretty extensively and I call it the "Gentleman" bike. The power and torque (with such a smooth & quiet exhaust) are deceiving. I'll keep my S1000XR in Road Trim for Road Touring for the most part.
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  11. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Question - did you spec build it or does your dealer know that it's coming? I'd love to get a V4S Sport (love the red/white/black colors) but I want spoked wheels - and it's a $2k option!
    I'm likely doing either the Urban pkg or just the topcase, and the LED aux lights. I love the sport colors but my dealer says they haven't gotten any yet. I'll have to ask about the wait time for the sport.
  12. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    That's the price of the spoked wheels alone -- so if you're paying that much you should be getting both sets of wheels!

Maybe a regular V4S and put a decal kit or a wrap on it? There are several decal options available from a third party supplier.
    brianpc likes this.
  13. TXFezzer

TXFezzer n00b

Oddometer:
    The dealer has the same information as I do. That is, it was to ship out yesterday , 24 May)from NJ (Ducati East Coast Warehouse). I "spec'ed the bike with the dealer so the factory could "build" as much aas possible. You can't order a Sport with Spoked wheels so the dealer and I came to an agreement. You also can not get the factory to supply the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires on a Sport so that is another "local" item.
    brianpc likes this.
  14. brianpc

Oddometer:
    The wrap, maybe - for now, the V4S with spoked wheels will suit me fine. The sport looks nice but I just can't with those cast wheels.. They look like ninja 300 wheels on such a big bike haha. Maybe it's the design. I doubt I'd need 2 sets of wheels so the V4S works for me.
    3DogNate likes this.
  15. crsavage

crsavage Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't see a sport wrap for sale anywhere. There is an Italian site that has some great looking wraps but not the sport one. If somebody finds a site that does, maybe they could share it here.
  16. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    I hope this is the right thread.
    Was in getting my state inspection the other day.
    They had a Ducati Demo Day happening the next day.
    A total Rain Day Wash Out was forecast so I passed.
    Then this Video came up in my news feed.
    Are the MC gods wanting me to switch from my KTM ?
    brianpc likes this.
  17. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Yes, you're in the right place. Several V4S owners here, so ask any questions you may have.
  18. TXFezzer

TXFezzer n00b

Oddometer:
    My V4S Sport is due at the Dealer today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  19. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Please send pics ASAP! I think my dealer is getting a bunch of new bikes this or next week, and one of them will be a V4S w/ spoked wheels with my name it. Not sure if they're getting a V4S Sport. I like the color scheme but don't need the slip-on and CF bits and prefer the spoked wheels, and based on what my dealer said, the spoked wheels are a $2k option on top of the $2k price jump from V4S to V4S sport - I think. Do I have the numbers right?

I don't think my dealer would do a horse-trading deal w/ the wheels.
  20. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    It can't really hurt to ask, especially if there's a prospective buyer for the other bike who might happen to prefer the cast wheels.

If there is, then a fair (MSRP) upgrade from cast to spoked would be $600.