Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  2. chrishsu

chrishsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see that you have/had a KTM SDGT, how do you like it? Comparing with the V4S?
  3. brianpc

Oddometer:
    The Super Duke GT is an amazing bike, but I am old and out of shape and the seating position is too aggressive for me these days. After an hour or more of riding, I find myself resting a lot of weight on my shoulders/wrists due to the seat & forward-leaning ergos. The footpegs are nice after I swapped in Knight Designs (lower, a bit more forward than stock), but I hopped on the V4S last month on my test ride and was immediately overjoyed at the seating position and comfort - and I got that "I'm home" feeling I got 10 yrs ago when I first rode a 2010 Multi in Austria:
    Immediate comfort and confidence in the riding position, suspension, controls, and overall handling of the bike. Did some slow speed tight turns on the test ride without even thinking about it. That V4 motor is pretty fun, too - the 1290 motor is kinda insane also, though.
    Complaints about 19" front wheel notwithstanding, it's hard to ignore that kind of overwhelming positive experience from the Multistrada test ride. I'm sure I'll have a lot to complain about (haha!) eventually but for now, I'm sold on it. Trading in the SDGT as soon as the dealer gets the bike I'm asking for.

To be fair though - the ownership / maint costs of the KTM seem "less eventful" - and definitely a bit cheaper - than my Ducati ownership / maint experience on my previous Multistradas. Hoping the new V4S might be a tad better with the new motor.
    r0man likes this.
  4. chrishsu

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences and comments. I went to do the scheduled test ride, liked it then bought it. As mentioned the dealer wasn’t willing to discount on the bike and I suspected it was due to my not having existing relationship with them since all my previous bikes were HDs and BMWs. But I was able to get $600 off of $2395 on 8 years EverRed premium extended warranty and 10% off the the crash bars and saddle bag liners. Having owned BMW 1250 GS and every generation of S1000RR, I am impressed and like that the V4S has the rumbling torque of the GS below 3.5K RPM but the catapulting sensation of acceleration of the S1000RR above 4K RPM and all that is handled smoothly! I’ve always felt that the GS is too clumsy.

IMG_0184.jpg
  5. chrishsu

Oddometer:
    Any paint protection films you would recommend? I used pre-cut xpel from tankslapper before and they work great! Just can’t find them for the V4s yet.

I’m also considering getting the Darla lights from Clearwater.
  6. r0man

r0man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suggest you reach out to tankslapper and inquire about V4S precut film availability. Lucas is usually really accommodating.
  7. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Tripped1 , having given this a bit of thought, the open question is what Ohlins can do with the data. The ECU is using a stepper motor to adjust a mechanical valve, opening and closing a bleed passage in the fork. Not sure how the adjusters work on TTX at rear but it will be that or adjusting a preloading spring.

The Skyhook solenoid valves adjust in microseconds; the Ohlins adjustment speed will be 10ths of a second at the very best (a guess but I reckon I'm safe). Hence the Ohlins Mechatronic won't be a real-time system.

For example, it is theoretically possible that Ohlins could draw on brake pressure data from the ABS controller. So if you brake hard it could know this is happening. The question is what could it do about it. By the time it ramped up the compression damping at the front, the suspension dive would have already happened. And then even if it could make the the adjustment in time to help, without sensors that tell it what the wheel is doing, it won't know whether the wheel has hit a sharp bump in the braking zone. Skyhook can know this and back off the damping almost instantly for compliance.

Offered as an example. Lots of other examples available.

I have read material from Ohlins that makes it clear the Mechatronic SCU responds to road speed and to the throttle mode selected. (Can't find it now though.) Ohlins is opaque about what else it responds to. It also controls a wider range of adjustment than is available through the electro-manual system that came standard on those models.

So here's a theory: most of the data theoretically available to the SCU is useless without sensors on the moving chassis bits. The SCU firms everything up as you move to sportier throttle modes, and firms everything up as you cross road-speed thresholds. That allows it to use softer settings at low speeds than it offers through the electro-manual system, aiding comfort and compliance there because it will automatically ramp them up as speeds rise.

Interested whether your real-world experience fits with that theory.

Of course, Ohlins is pretty clever and its lean system probably still works better than Skyhook, all things considered, if the underlying Ohlins valving is right. Which it seems to be on that generation of Multi.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Preload is hard set by the weight mode.

Its compression and rebound that are determined by the SCU...and I can tell you it works, pogo on side to side transitions and fork dive under hard braking and significantly reduced with the semi-active vice roll your own settings.
    Moronic likes this.
  9. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant a preloading spring on a bleed adjuster inside the shock, or on the valve itself.
  10. chrishsu

Oddometer:
    What tank bags do you have or would you have for the V4S other than the OEM bags!
    Thanks!
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Check out SW-Motech.
  12. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Just curious: What's the advantage of these over the Ducati accessories? Given that you just purchased a brand-new bike and can probably get that 10% discount, why not get the Multistrada-specific tank protection, aux lights, and tank bag?

Reason I ask is, I'm likely going to have the aux lights and tank bag as part of my purchase, along with the topcase and crashbars. Most of Ducati's OEM accessories are usually name-brand stuff (their old topcase was Shad/Givi). I haven't seen their tankbag up close but I believe it's also a tank ring lock system.
    I'm kinda iffy on SW-motech after their topcase + baseplate mount for the SDGT.. held the topcase on with camlocks.. no thanks. :)

Speaking of accessories - any of you opting for the keyless gas cap? I'm a hard pass on it after hearing the horror stories from the previous generation's cap.. Does the new one have the actual key mechanism as a failsafe? Or are you still stuck carrying a hex key to put gas in it when it fails? :D :D :D
  13. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Couple of personal experiences with SW-Motech top case system and keyless gas cap.

I put a keyless on my Multi Enduro, and it never gave me any issues. The part number for the V4S is the same, and there is no key bypass. It's a solenoid that activates for 60 seconds when the ignition is turned off.

I've had the SW-Motech Alu-Rack system on many bikes, whereby a Givi adapter plate attaches with three cam lock bolts, and then the case mounts normally to the adapter plate. Tens and tens of thousands of miles with that system, never an issue. I hope that they put one out for the V4S, as I'll likely use it to allow myself to attach the top cases that I already own.

I've never used their tank bag systems, though, so can't really comment on those.
  14. chrishsu

Oddometer:
    Good questions. Personally, I would like the tank bag to be about 10 L. The Ducati bag is only 6L. The SW is a little bigger 5-8 L. As for the AUX lights, the Ducati lights only have one LED per light. Even the sales person told me they are not anywhere near the Clearwater Darla lights, which projects 2400 lume per light. I would like to be seen by vehicles ahead of me as far out and noticeable as possible.
    Yossarian™ and brianpc like this.
  15. chrishsu

Oddometer:
    Brake/Turn signal lights wiring?
    I would like to install Skene P3 lights with Decelerometer & Turn Signals. Does anyone know if the wire color table below is correct? Thanks in advance!

upload_2021-6-7_10-33-35.png
  16. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Warning. I have taken apart the tail section to get to the tail light connector. My reason for doing so was to see if the Supabrake 3 module from my Multi Enduro would be plug and play. (It wasn't.) When the tail section fasteners (6, part numbers 10, 11, and 12 in the diagram below) are removed, the undertray will have no support, so unless you have it propped up somehow, it will drop to the rear fender. The little bits and bobs (multiple washers, etc.) that comprise the floating pannier support, will find their way forward due to gravity and you'll spend some time finding them and determining how to best reconstruct the setup. Finally, when you go to put it all back together, your patience will be tested as these pieces tend to want to run and hide at the time you want to reinsert the bolts that hold them.

p1.png
  17. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    (cont'd)

The turn signal and tail light assembly all have separate connectors, as shown below.

p2.png
  18. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    (cont'd)

Here is the tail light connector.

Wire colors are Yellow, Red/White, and Black.

0415211338_2.jpg
  19. chrishsu

Oddometer:
    ">
    Thank you so much for all the information! Good thing I asked here first!
    BTW, where can I get diagrams like these or a copy of service manual illustrating how to take things apart and put them back properly?
    Many Thanks again!
  20. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I don't have a Factory Service Manual -- certainly not aware of a source for one yet.

What I do have is the Parts Diagram, from which I captured that information. I can't remember where I found it, but as far as I'm aware it's not forbidden to share it, as dealers usually post the parts diagrams up to help customers determine part numbers to order.

I'd be happy to pop it up onto a file share (download link, deletes once downloaded) for anyone wanting a copy. Just PM me and I'll set up a file.io link for you.