Ducati Multistrada V4

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yossarian™, Feb 9, 2021.

1. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Does it brake for you like a car? Or just decel? Will it work riding no hands?
  2. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about that myself. I just took a road trip last week and used my Toyota's adaptive cruise - it's great when you're in a line of cars and don't want to futz with stuff. I imagine on some highway trips it might come in handy but I really want to test it out. Regular cruise control is a huge benefit already, when you're just holding the throttle for a lot of highway miles.

I took my bike out yesterday for a proper shakedown / break-in run (I rode it home from the dealer last week and took a few side roads but then parked it and left for a trip for a few days the next day). Very fun, and the bike seems harnessed by TC - feels very restrained. I am holding off on dropping TC / DWC for a bit as I get used to it, and the tires run in a bit more, but I'm loving it so far.

Somebody confirmed on ducati.ms that the TPMS dongles are sold separately - so wait for a tire change if you're planning on buying it. Really, Ducati? Great cost savings. Maybe this will change for future bikes and they had a supply issue. I think it's kinda dumb, but who knows.

Can somebody confirm the existing Tank ring adapter for Givi (the one on Revzilla for KTM / Ducati / BMW) will work on these bikes? Revzilla says it WON'T fit (default answer i guess) but it also doesn't show the 1260 multistrada for fitment either. I ordered a Givi TanklockED 5L bag for the bike.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Yes,

It will brake on deceleration if throttling down doesn't work and accelerate as soon as the field in front of you is clear. One of the things that Ducati JP had us do was line up nose to ass at 60 with the cruise set and 80mph and leap frog. It would control speed and spacing perfectly.
  4. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Will it work with no hands? I'm wondering if it has sensors in the grips. I cant imagine it letting you have your hands off the bars and then brake.
  5. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Yes it will brake without you yanking a lever.
  6. brianpc

Oddometer:
    For you V4S owners - are you ordering any Ducati accessories? are they in stock? What's been your wait time on delivery?

I have TPMS and a top box on order and I'm wondering if they'll show up before Italy shuts down in Aug.
  7. Jmjenia

Jmjenia n00b

Oddometer:
    I ordered my V4S in June and added the top case with liners and the full exhaust. I picked up the bike last Saturday and everything was ready and installed. I know they had the exhaust in stock and I’m not sure if they had to order the top case and liners. I’ve also ordered a few accessories from my dealer’s web site. Swing arm spools, tank pads, tank rings, etc. I received everything in about a week.

Not sure that helps, but my dealer didn’t seem to have any issues with anything being available. I’m in the Mid-West if that helps.
    brianpc likes this.
  8. brianpc

Oddometer:
    For those of you who have ordered LED rear turn signals (have any of you ordered these?) - did you get a "new" kit that has the wiring harness connectors (separate wires + connectors) for the LED signals?

I learned today there's a connector wiring harness.
    on the set sold as the Multistrada V4S accessory list LED turn signals, that has the SAME PART NUMBER as existing Ducati performance LED turn signals, but both boxes of the signals at my dealership did not have the wiring connector pieces, only the LED signals with their wiring connectors. Frustrating.

Also for those that are ordering TPMS dongles - I asked to have "TPMS" ordered for my bike, and they did, and it's only one dongle. There are two, with separate part numbers, and the parts guy could not find any description or detail that shows why they are different (front vs. rear? etc?). So, another thing to keep in mind if you're ordering these from your dealer or online
  9. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having trouble finding more basic information on this bike. Is it keyless start or is that switch at the front of the tank the key? What about the gas cap? Is there video somewhere showing how to remove the bags and maybe opening the bags and showing the inside? I'm trying to set up a test ride for later this week and all I really care about is the riding position and the engine. I've ridden earlier MultiStradas and they were comfortable and handled nicely but I didn't like the L twin engine. I have high hopes for the V4. Just a list of what each trim level includes would be very helpful. Thanks!
  10. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    1. Keyless ignition.
    2. Keyed gas cap standard, keyless optional.
    3. Keyed bags, very clever design, easy to operate.
    4. Ducati.com has a nice configurator that help on understand the trim level differences.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  11. brianpc

Oddometer:
    - It's keyless start
    - The switch in the front of the tank is the on/off for the dash / bike.
    - Gas cap is keyed unless you purchase the keyless gas cap option (stays "unlocked" for 60 seconds after the bike shuts off)
    - Bags lift off by lifting a locking lever that's tucked under the top handle, and unlocks the bag away from the bike. The insides of the bags are similar to other shapes/sizes of panniers, the right one has the exhaust cutout so it's a bit smaller.
    - Riding position is more comfortable than previous multistradas IMHO.
    - AMS Ducati Dallas's videos on Youtube have good overall info:

What didn't you like about the L twin engine? I like the V4 a lot but there might be reasons you didn't like the L twin that you may not like the V4.

Ducati's website is kind of lame but the V4S is basically the "loaded" trim - the V4S Sport ("full") comes with everything the V4S does plus the Akra and CF bits and sport paint livery. TPMS, etc, are all accessories. ACC/BSM is equipped on all V4S / V4S sport bikes but costs extra to enable.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  12. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answers and the videos, that helped a lot.

Historically I'm not much of a twin guy. Years ago I had a Yamaha TDM 850 parallel twin I liked and I've owned one modern boxer that was good. Most everything else has been either triples or big inline fours except my VFR 800 which I really liked. I found the L twin to be too chuggy to suit me. I like the rush of power you get with an inline four, that wooosh of smooth power. I guess I do like some torque off the bottom though because I was sure I'd love the new BMW S1000XR but found it so weak off the bottom to be unacceptable. The fours I liked have been CBR1100XX, K1200S, K1300S, FJR etc. I'm hoping this new V4 from Ducati will hit the spot.

I understand that Ducati has to market the bike using the latest tech as a selling feature but I'm one of the most likely rare customers that would be OK with a base bike as long as I can add a center stand, heated grips, cruise and bags. According to the configurator I can do just that. The problem would be finding a base bike to start with. For now I won't worry about it and just try and get a ride and see how I like the engine, handling, riding position etc.
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  13. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Base model is special order ONLY in the US
  14. Jmjenia

Jmjenia n00b

Oddometer:
    What he ^ said. FWIW, My dealer told me the only models arriving in the US are the V4S and V4S Sport (FULL). Both with the 'Travel Radar Package'.
  15. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Ducati JP did the same thing you are only going to find V4S and V4S Sports in any of the dealers.
  16. AlexFIA

AlexFIA Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up my V4S last weekend. I went out to the Dainese store a block away to look at some armored riding jeans, walked away from the Ducati dealer with a V4S. And no, I am not a impulse shopper. They had a 2020 Multi 1260 at a good price that I wanted to look at. Super friendly dealer. He gave me the keys to the 1260S and the V4S and told me to have at it and let him know my thoughts when I got back.

It really was night and day. What a fantastic motorcycle. Would I take it off road? Probably not, mainly because my skills would not prevent a tip over and bank account (now emptied) could not afford the repairs. I’d prefer a lighter and cheaper bike for that. But for everything else, this bike will see those duties. I thought the 1260 seat was marginally more comfortable, but the V4S really does manage wind better. After some time in the saddle, I’m still happy with the seat.

I haven’t played with the whole navigation/Ducati/whatever app. That was an epic failure on my KTM, and I’m not ready for disappointment yet. I’ll do it later.

Only “complaint” is the lack of aftermarket accessories. I had a AltRider cargo rack on my S1XR with a Pelican case (it is just the right size for commuting instead of a massive top box). The luggage rack bosses on the V4S are not coplanar and they are at an angle, but I was able to make some brackets to allow me to mount my cargo rack. Otherwise, there is nothing out there yet. Clearwater is supposedly working on a canopener for the V4S, so I am waiting for that so I can repurpose my lights. Ducati has some fog lights but wasn’t crazy about them and they were Clearwater prices without the output. Same goes for crash bars. Ducati ones are $600. SW-motech has some but not in US yet. Essentially, I’m impatient for the aftermarket to catch up. But that’s my fault for buying a new model release early in production (first time ever for me).

One week in, no complaints yet. About the only thing I found on the internet when I left the dealer to sleep on the decision before going back the next day is one person complaining about the lack of ACC in the US (dude, deal with it, and who buys a bike only because of ACC?), and the engine recall which I thought the benefits Ducati provided were more than fair.
    jimmex likes this.
  17. brianpc

Oddometer:

Agree about the nav / app stuff. When the dealer told me the Ducati MyConnect basically downloads ALL your riding data in addition to enabling the "nav" (the Sygic app, basically) I wasn't encouraged. Reports on here of the BT / MyConnect behavior haven't really encouraged me to dive into it - I use a Google Fi phone for Nav on a Perfect Squeeze on the bars and my Sena connects directly through my phone and I'm fine with that setup.

Only aftermarket I'm interested in so far is where to mount a Denali soundbomb. My "complaint" is the general lack of knowledge about the bike so far (I'm finding out more on this and ducati.ms forums than at the actual dealer) but I'll see how it goes. I'm still not 100% sure the bike DOESN'T have TPMS dongles installed (tried figuring it out by looking closely at the valve stems). ACC is approved and ready for enablement since July 1, so yay USA.
  18. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Test ride went well, I really liked the engine. Had the dealer write up two quotes and the difference in price between a base model with cruise, center stand, heated grips and bags added and a V4s with all the goodies is a little over $2200. Not a big enough difference for what I’d be missing on the base bike. Seems like the only way it makes sense to buy the standard model is if you’re going to get just the bike and not add any options. Then the difference is about $5000.

I saw earlier in the thread and confirmed with the dealer that the service manual is not available for purchase. Are you current owners going to your dealer for everything? I wouldn’t be doing any serious work but would like to be able to pull the wheels for tire changes, do oil changes, brake pads, air filters etc. I like the extended service intervals but don’t want to have to run to the dealer for everything when they’re 165 miles away.

Planing a second test ride next week.
  19. AlexFIA

AlexFIA Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have yet to go to the dealer since the bike is so new, but planning on the 600 mi service next week and will go to dealer. I am sure the factory manual will eventually become available either purchase or leaked download. I have an older Duc that I do my own service to include timing belts. Hardest part is getting all the bodywork off. But for this bike I plan on dealer service for major service while under warranty. Brakes, wheels, filters should not be a big deal to do on your own. Just need factory torque values.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  20. portiadog

portiadog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 6 day, 2300 mile road trip on my V4S. NC > VA > DE > NJ > NY > CT > RI > MA > VT > NY > PA > MD/WV/VA > back to NC. I took hiways to Manhattan, where I met a friend for lunch, and then I took B and C roads up through and across the hudson on the way up to VT. Leaving VT, I took all highways into VA, then rode Skyline/Blueridge Parkway into NC. As an aside, I took the ferry from Charlotte, VT to Essex, NY, which led me to highway 87. This was perhaps the most scenic part of the entire ride for me. Plenty of pretty riverside windy roads in MA and VT, but the beautiful valley that 87 runs down reminded me of the Rockies.

I used a Garmin Zumo XT for nav, which I mounted with the Iconic Parts windshield mount. The Ducati Connect GPS sucks. Might be good for around town, but I would not trust it on a trip. Also, the music controls will only control what music is actually on your phone in it's music library. It will not recognize apps like Spotify. After fiddling with it for a bit, I disconnected all BT devices from the bike, and simply connected my Cardo Packtalk to the GPS and my phone, which worked very well.

A few takeaways from the trip:
    The V4S is more comfortable than the 1260S, which was my last bike. The riding position is slightly more upright. I found myself leaning forward a bit on the 1260.

I got the high seat for a little extra padding, and it is still only good for about 4 hours in my opinion. After that it became quite uncomfortable. I will probably end up ordering a Sargent when they are available, or doing a custom order, but I think the general shape of the seat means that there's not much to be done here.

I would not schedule more than 3 hours of riding without at least an hour or more break before riding again in the future. Riding from sun up to dinner time, with only refueling and 15 minute lunch breaks was fine for the first 2 days, but towards the end of the trip it became pretty miserable.

I am unsure if this was the environment/roads in states I have not previously ridden, the bike geometry or suspension, or the tires - but I was left feeling less than confident in the front end of this bike. In VT and PA on hot, dry days, I felt the front tire slip on tar snakes on more than a few occasions. I've never experienced that before in NC - this was a first for me. I also experienced my first minor tank slapper (more than a little wiggle, less than a full blown tank slapper) while changing lanes on the highway in PA.

The range is not awesome. Today I pushed it until the bike showed 1 mile of range left, and put 4.9 gallons into the tank after 172 miles.

Radar Cruise is awesome - a real pleasure to have on the highway, and the bike starts to accelerate once it's pointed towards a lane change, not waiting for the full lane change, like a car (because cars are wider)

Overall, the V4S was more comfortable and handled unpaved roads much better than my previous 1260S. But when my bottom was painfully sore, and my back starting to ache, I kept wondering if I should have just bought a GS, which I have only ridden as a rental on tours, but where I have ridden for day long rides. The GS is definitely easier to maneuver at very slow speeds. And finally, this led me to thinking whether I should consider something like a K1600 in the future. All those guys up in VT on Road Glides looked pretty comfortable.
    Blakduk, jimmex and mikegc like this.