Ducati Panigale vs. Tuono V4R: NYC to SF - 1st bike on a tow truck loses

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DynastySS, Apr 15, 2014.

1. HJM

HJM Surgical.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Much respect for throwing a leg over the Duc and showing that you can do serious mileage. Couple quick questions- how many miles did you get out of the pirelli's? Did you switch to dunlop q2's? Any thoughts on compare/contrast b/w them? Also. do you and Jay have blue tooth or comm's in your helmets? I'm assuming that you also have a back pack as well as your tail bags- over the long haul has that gotten old or is it no big thing? Lastly, are there any things that you wish you really had brought along with you or done differently (clothes, gear, fuel canisters or anything?)

You're trip sounds awesome and it's been great reading about it + the quality pictures have been sick! I am moving to southern AZ in August and even took a few of the roads down to enjoy this fall. Thanks again for posting and good luck with the your ride!
  2. DynastySS

DynastySS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The alarm started buzzing at 6:00 A.M. I woke up feeling ok considering that I spent the night in Las Vegas. Even better, I am walking away from this city as broke as I came in. I don't gamble a lot, but when I do I take a different approach than most people. I view it as entertainment and fully expect to lose my money. As long as I can make it last a bit then it is worth it to me.

Last night I slapped $100 on the Texas Hold'em table and quickly went up $150. Employing my mother's patented technique, I pocketed my initial $100 and just played with my winnings. Of course I promptly lost all of that, but at least I still had my $100!

We wanted to get an early start to avoid Death Valley at its peak temperature. Something about sitting on a 230 degree bike in 110+ degree weather in full gear did not sound appetizing.

In no time we were at the gates of Hell.

[​IMG]IMG_20140503_100902 by DynastySS, on Flickr

By 10:00 it was already 100 degrees in Death Valley. Absolutely mind boggling. At the risk of being crude, my biggest fear was the heat right under my crotch. Yesterday was torturous and this was shaping up to be no better. I figured I am going to be hot and uncomfortable, I just want to ensure that I am not doing any long term damage to the family jewels at the same time. The rest I can live with!

So, in a moment of genius I solved Ducati's heat problem. I even managed to do it for a paltry 25 cents. All you need is a ziplock baggie, paper towel or a small wash cloth and ice.

Step 1.) Place ice in ziplock bag

Step 2.) Wrap bag in cloth or paper towel

Step 3.) Place bag contraption in your underwear.

Pros: my goods are protected, and it looks like I am packing some serious heat.

Cons: ice melts and needs to be replenished. Your underwear will get soaked by the end of the day.

[​IMG]20140503_160129 by DynastySS, on Flickr

Now that I am physically prepared for what is in store, I figured it was best we prep our bikes. Last thing we want to do is run out of gas in Death Valley, so we top off at the only station on the Nevada side.

[​IMG]IMG_20140503_110307 by DynastySS, on Flickr

That is the most I have ever paid for gas in the United States. To make matters worse the other gas station in Death Valley was charging $6.50 for premium! I guess they got you by the cajones, so what else can you do?

I am not sure what I was expecting from Death Valley per se, but it is indeed warm. I actually was not feeling very well at all during my ride. I couldn't tell if my mind was playing tricks on me, but it felt like I was in the beginning stages of heat stroke. I downed the most expensive gatorade of my life and kept going. Didn't take too much time to stop and take photos though.

Jay and I are both of the same conclusion regarding Death Valley. We have no regrets doing it, but I don't think either of us were floored with it all. Maybe if I was in a car and not baking I could have soaked it in more. But that alone says a lot about Death Valley since I have never thought anything is better experienced in a car versus a motorcycle.

A bit outside Death Valley Jay spotted what appeared to be a slat flat or perhaps a dried out lake bed. Our bikes had proven to be fantastic off-roaders, so we explored that area a bit.

[​IMG]DSC_0174 by DynastySS, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0175 by DynastySS, on Flickr

By now it is nearly 1:00 and we haven't eaten a god damn thing. I was getting grumpy and sweaty, and all I wanted to do was find a place to eat and some ice to replace my "pack".

Of course, there isn't anything to be found for the longest time. I am not sure what I expected, but there really is absolutely nothing near Death Valley. Eventually we found a gas station that served sandwiches and called it our home for the next hour. As we were decompressing a fellow rider on a BMW GS 1200 came into the store looking dazed and confused. He took refuge in seeing other riders and came gunning with questions. Notably where was he and where should he go.

I was pretty confident he had come riding up from Mexico, but I respected his English effort and let him explain what the deal was. It seems he was heading East and we suggested he go through Death Valley for the experience, but I think something was lost in translation. Jay then asked how far he can get on one tank, which our new friend quickly replied, "4000 miles".

God damn, I am lucky to get 100 before the gas light comes on! At this point I was worried that our advice was not fully understood, so I asked him where came riding from, and when he said Guadalajara, I immediately switched to spanish. His eyes lit up and you could tell that he instantly felt better.

It didn't take long to realize that some of what we said earlier was misunderstood, so I went about assisting him in his journey. By the end he decided to ride with us for 50 miles or so before turning off and heading West on I-40. I hope he made it to his destination safely, he seemed like a good guy.

[​IMG]IMG_20140503_150815 by DynastySS, on Flickr

I wanted to get to some decent sized town in SoCal so that we can explore some fun parts of CA and still make it home in time for dinner. I figured Bakersfield would situate us nicely and it even seemed we could even take a cool road to get there. Route 178 through Lake Isabella was a pleasant surprise and a great way to wrap up the day. We even found spare time to relax and watch the creek babble.

[​IMG]IMG_20140503_174259 by DynastySS, on Flickr

I am in my stomping grounds now, so tomorrow should be a breeze. I want to show Jay all that California has to offer so I think we will do a mix of 1 and 101 up to the Bay tomorrow. Should be a good way to cap off what has been an epic journey.
  3. DynastySS

DynastySS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man!

Those Pirellis were hot garbage and I will never buy another set of them. I have no idea how they self destructed that quickly. I run Q2s on the track (should tell you something about how slow I am) and I am absolutely in love with those tires. They have great wear life, are sticky and predictable.

Jay and I do not communicate verbally. We use non-verbal communication. Which is usually just some hilarious arm waving.

I actually don't have a backpack or anything else other than the US 10 and US20. So far I have been pleasantly surprised with my gear. Only thing I wish I brought was a decent tool set. Would have solved that bleeding problem earlier.
  4. keiPHadventure

keiPHadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/url]DSC_0174 by DynastySS, on Flickr

They couldn't be any more out of their element, but they still look effin' sexy!

Great ride guys! Loving the story!
  5. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    I was at the Hoover Dam once, back in the 70s when it was part of the state hiway system. We parked on the dam at +/- 0300, and sat there for over an hour, snorting pharmaceutical grade speed off a cassette case on the side of the dam. Later, we drove down into Vegas, went straight thru it- barely even stopping to take pix.... then on towards L.A.
    What a gas.

Your trip, however is just as epic. Enjoying the RR. THANKS!

PS: friends of mine traveled thru that same sand storm, tho they were trailering their BSAs so had the option of NOT riding thru it. Later, their van overheated due to the radiator being all clogged with dirt!

CHEERS!

[​IMG]
  6. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:
    Great RR..thank you so much for last two hours...Although you did not want it I guess you proved some points

1. It does not matter which two wheels you are riding as long as you are riding
    2. Getting an Italian car/bike is a chalenge looks vs mechanics...and I know I am in a neighbour country
    3. YOU ARE BRAVE
  7. jgino157

jgino157 Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer:
    Great ride report....you just killed 1.5hrs at work for me:D

We were on the Skyway the same day as you............

[​IMG]

Keep it coming :clap
  8. DynastySS

DynastySS Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. :.Wahspz

:.Wahspz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bringing us along :clap
  10. jimmydteach

jimmydteach Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report! lots of fun.:clap
  11. concretehero

concretehero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys made it safely! Thanks for doing the RR, it was entertaining for us at the office lol :clap
  12. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done!
  13. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    is Jay going back to NYC? i can't remember.
  14. jgarcia

jgarcia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, good to hear you guys made it safe.
  15. Demian

Demian www.rydersalley.com

Oddometer:
    Well done!!!!
  16. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts!

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your RR. :thumb
  17. Bendernz

Bendernz Torrential

Oddometer:
    This has been a fun read...thanks for making the effort.
  18. DynastySS

DynastySS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone!

He is going to ride the West coast a bit then ship back his bike to NYC.
  19. mneal

mneal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have thoroughly enjoyed the write up of your epic journey. Thanks for bringing us along.
  20. Sullylog

Sullylog n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like two winners to me! I enjoyed your ride.