Ducati Sixty2

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 16, 2015.

1. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Ducati really messed up the seat. This seat raises the mid section by almost an inch I would say, plus being flat, I can move back which helps with the legs since I am 6'1". While it is a cosmetic change, the stock seat was so uncomfortable that even after one hour it was painful. The main cause, I believe is the seat pan. There is a small hump built into the seatpan; imagine a speedbump. Some owners have cut it out and reworked, or filled the empty space.
  2. dlmarquez

dlmarquez dlm

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of this bike! I may have to trade in my Tiger 800 next year....I'm not getting any younger, and I don't fancy pushing 500+ pounds of Tiger through the twisties as I approach 70.
    the thing for me is that the Sixty2 LOOKS the way I think a motorbike should look...not like a 2 wheeled spaceship...and my Tiger is edging that way
    GREY.HOUND likes this.
  3. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    A little ride out this afternoon. Trying out the lower bars from the Full Throttle model.

[​IMG]
  4. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Maybe a better photo of the bars
    [​IMG]
    The Virginian, dedave and andymach23 like this.
  5. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    I figured the full dark screen would look good with the black bike. It might look good with the tangerine too, considering there is so much black elsewhere. Dart came out with a new, short screen too. It's about 2 inches shorter and a little narrower. It fits the same brackets and costs $50 for the screen only. Maybe...

As for the 803, yeah, not interested. Though, if I could come up with about $1000, I wouldn't mind the full termignoni system. But that's $1000 that would be better spent elsewhere. I don't have many miles with the lower bars, but I feel they are better for open road riding, but the OEM bars are more comfortable for in town.
  6. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm loving this little guy. I went out today for my longest ride to date. I went to a place called "The Little Dragon" here in California. I've been on it twice before, both times on scooters. I was not disappointed! In reality, I went through some of California's gold country. Starting in Fresno, up highway 41 towards Yosemite, then cut north in Oakhurst along Highway 49 (The Golden Chain Highway). The road is beautifully maintained and passes through many historic sights from the 1849 Gold Rush. The 14 miles down into, and up out of the the Merced River is known as the Little Dragon. I continued to the town of Coulterville and took a quick break, then back across the river and home, about 200 miles round trip.

Just before dropping starting "The Dragon".
    [​IMG]

A quick stop in Coulterville, I almost got the whole town in this picture, I think.
    [​IMG]

More Coulterville from a previous ride:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those previous two pics were from when I rode through here last November.

[​IMG]

The Return, just before crossing the river. Note two things: the road in the background and the water level of the river. That section of road is actually the short part, the part coming from the other way is much longer and more fun IMO.
    [​IMG]

Now, check out the water level a year ago when I rode it for the first time on my BMW scooter:
    [​IMG]
    MoreCheese, dedave and Scoozi like this.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Greyhound. I'm glad you are enjoying that little 62 so much. The difference in that river level is encouraging.

How do like the stock suspension on that bike for comfort for longer rides?
    Jon likes this.
  8. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Thanks. As for the suspension, what's the saying, "You don't know what you don't know." I don't have anything with premium suspension to compare it to. I'm sure if I rode the same bike with upgraded suspension I would notice the difference, but I find it just fine.

The biggest issue is still the seat. I was on the bike for 5 hours with just a couple of stops for gas and pics, by the 4th hour, my ass was killing me. Better than the stock seat, but I've done longer rides on my BMW Scooter and my current Piaggio scooter and never had a sore rear end.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  9. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    I have about 1800. As for scooters, kind of like station wagons, so practical but under appreciated. A few of them are almost perfect. My current Piaggio is one of them. At 400lbs and 24 ft-lb of torque with 33hp it is very similar in performance to the Sixty2's 25 ft-lb and 40hp. Handling is the biggest gain with the Sixty2.

[​IMG]
  10. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    The Piaggio is 400 lbs, really?
  11. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How's the heat off of the engine? I am considering picking a Sixty2 up for my wife to help advance her skills beyond her current Honda CRF250L. Since we would both be commuting on it in the city at times I am curious if your leg get's extremely toasty like some of the other Ducati's do?
  12. Holytown

Holytown Outsider

Oddometer:
    I think it looks cool other than the hideous license plate/brake light holder
    GREY.HOUND likes this.
  13. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a low mile used Sixty2 that I picked up about a week or so ago & have put 500+miles on it & there is no heat issue to speak of. It has a Termi slip on so that may possibly have helped as it eliminates the original lump of a silencer but keep in mind the Sixty2 has a different pipe configuration then the 803 so imo heat is less of an issue on the lil scrambler. I will just say imo forget what you've heard or read in regards to the Sixty2 being underpowered and slow as I've found it to be quite frisky & fun and feels more lively then the 400cc configuration would have you thinking it would.
    Oh and just to help give you some prospective on my observations I've been riding for over 40+ years and my other street ride at the moment is a 2016 Triumph Speed Triple though I'm in no way implying that the Sixty2 is in the Speed's league when it comes to HP or engine performance but it is a totally fun ride with enough engine performance to give you giggles :ricky
    dedave, Jon and GREY.HOUND like this.
  14. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    I have the 803, but I don't have too many problems with the heat unless I'm stopped for a long time when the ambient temp is in the 90s. The 400 is the same engine block with half the displacement and power, so it's going to generate a lot less heat.
    Jon and GREY.HOUND like this.
  15. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys good to know! I have ridden the 803 quite a bit and it's a good bike but the 400 will fit in our stable nicely. I am not worried about the power figures as I have ridden across the country on smaller bikes. Despite having the second lowest HP of our 8 bikes, my Guzzi V7 is probably my favorite.

Now I just need to find one to demo.
  16. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Guzzi won't be going anywhere with the addition of the little Duc. That bike is too much fun too.

The suspension is choppy but it is truly a street bike with scrambler aesthetics. I love humbling much "faster" bikes in the turns on it. Plus I like the uniqueness of my chrome tanked scrambler. It's my second V7.
    IMG_4320.JPG
    Florida Lime and GREY.HOUND like this.
  17. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike & I love me some V7 Guzzis. In fact I had a 2014 V7 Special in black/orange & if you think you are having fun humbling much "faster" bikes with the Goose you'll be like Casey Stoner on the Duc :photog
    Trust me the Guzzi can't hold a candle to the Duc in performance. Only place it handles the Duc is in looks & fuel range but of course it's only my humble opinion.
  18. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Yeah, scooters are heavy for their size/displacement. My BMW scooter was almost 600lbs.

The engine on this Piaggio is amazing. It's 330cc and if they followed Honda's lead, they'd build an ADV, Sport, and standard all with this engine and sell tons of them. Of course, I'm not sure it's as easy as I say, but still this thing hums along at 75mph like there is no tomorrow. In fact, based on comfort, if I ever took an overnight/weekend trip, I'd have trouble taking the Sixty2 over the scooter, plus the scooter hold 2 full face helmets. But I'd be thinking, "How awesome would my Ducati be on this road?" the whole time.
  19. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just as a bump to this quiet thread, I plopped down some cash today on a new 2016 Traffic Cone Orange Sixty2. More pics, stories, opinions and mods in the future after I pick the bike up hopefully on Saturday. Excited to ride it and surprise my wife with "her" new bike.

Thanks for talking me into it.
  20. Jon

Jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode it for 6 miles and the wife for 50 today. So far we both really enjoy it.

IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4647.JPG
    Scoozi, WDG, dedave and 1 other person like this.