This is another long stalled project. I started playing around with it in 2005 I think, spent a year or two on it, then stuffed it in a corner. I recently sold a bunch of projects and retired, so I pulled this one back out to see if it's worth continuing. For now it'll be a recap of what I already did, IAnd it may not get done this time either. In looking at it there are a few things I'd do differently if I was starting on it now, but that's how this stuff works. All the work done to date was done 15 years ago. The idea was to buy as little as possible and use what I had around instead. It was supposed to be a side project with zero cost. I may end up finding a fatal flaw and abandon it for good this time but for now, enough of the pre-ramble. On with the main ramble. I'll start from the beginning. Back when the chopper craze was at it's height with huge tires and huge engines huge prices I used to joke about building a little bobber to be the antithesis of what all the cool kids were dropping big money on. I think it was when I ended up with a spare engine that I realized I had most of what I'd need to build one. So I posted a note on the bevelheads list to see if anyone had a neglected (aka CHEAP) frame they'd be willing to let go. The first reply I got was from a buddy who had a frame that fit the bill perfectly (aka FREE). Alrighty then, bluff called. Time to start building a hard tail Ducati. (Thanks again, Rich!) We met up at the Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio and I picked up the remains of a Ducati 160 frame that some complete hack had given him. The swingarm had been removed with a hacksaw, cutting into the pivot bosses in the process. The remains of the swingarm pivot was then removed from the frame with a sledge hammer. From what I can tell, the frame was laid down on the ground and beaten until the pivot was freed. And the subframe was bent. And the passenger peg mount was bent. And the pinch bolt bosses were crushed. And the serrated end of the footpeg mount was destroyed. They succeeded in removing the pivot but the frame was useless when they were done. Here are a couple bad photos of it as delivered. No sane person would restore this frame to stock. Maybe if it was a Vincent Black Lightning it'd be worth it, or some old boardtrack racer, but we're talking a square-styled Ducati 160 Monza Jr here. Out came the hacksaw and off came about 8 pounds of bent and battered tubing. I've forgotten how I came up with the dimensions of the hardtail section. I probably I used a 250 narrowcase frame and swingarm I had, measured where I wanted everything to end up, and did the math. I bought the tubing from some online supplier, brought it in to work and manually bent it on a tubing bender. I didn't have a frame jig, so I drew a straight line on a tool stand I had and clamped the frame to it. Everything was centered and many measurements were taken when adding things. It's not a race bike, it'll be fine. I ran the new chain stays out of the existing brackets with a 90 degree bend and ran them straight to the new axle plates. I used the hole that the rear brake arm pivot went through as a locator for the new frame tubes. I had to enlarge the holes for the frame tunes to fit. First I turned up a bushing on the lathe so the bit for a hole saw would be centered, then tried to mount everything on the drill press. The test holes went fine with a 1" hole saw but when I went to do the frame things started to go wrong. It gouged the surface a little but I caught it before it was too bad. I got the hole through but it wasn't as clean as I would like. For the right side I went with a 15/16" hole saw and then opened it up with a reamer to fit the 1" tubing. I thought about doing this to begin with but decided the test holes were good enough... turns out it's a lot easier to drill through a flat plate than it is to drill through a bracket on a frame... oh well. Live and learn. For the seat stays I decided to bolt them to the frame and weld them too after everything was in place. Belt and suspenders, I know, but I don't see a downside. If I don't like how the bolt head looks, I'll grind it down to match the profile of the tube, braze over it, then smooth it all down so when it's painted no one will be able to tell it's there. The tabs are there to mount the pivot for a sprung seat. In hindsight this is one of the things I'd do differently, but I'm commited now. Also, at this point of my life all I had was an oxy/acetylene welding set up so I tried my hand at bronze welding. It's not the prettiest but it's solid. I've wanted a TIG welder for ages but went with a MIG when I finally bought something. Still want a TIG... but hard to justify at this point in the game.