Ducati vs Triumph- Scrambler

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by MotoJedeye, May 1, 2015.

1. MotoJedeye

MotoJedeye C'mon Guy

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10. Here is a pic of me on my SCRAMBLER. It's a fun bike! I highly recommend it. Though, not a perfect bike by any means.

Attached Files:

2. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious how much time have you spent on a Triumph Scrambler and did you have it off road at all?
  3. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I had a bonny black, which is about the same weight and suspension as the scrambler, and I thought it was very heavy and dull for a STREET bike.
    Exhaust and carb mods and it was ok but hardly thrilling.

My SR400 is 380 pounds and riding it most places in South Jersey off road is out of the question for me, thick sand, roots, mud holes, nothing like a 500 pound bike with poor tires in thick sand or mud for loads of fun....
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am of the mind slightly longer suspension travel on the Duc Scrambler might be just the ticket. It would raise the bike up some and add to the off-road capability.

It would be easy for Ducati to offer differently suspended models so there's still a low version for those who are looking for that.

I think keeping the bike compact was part of what allowed the lower weight. That and the Duc air cooled engine is pretty light to start with.

I think the bike has real potential and what I wish for is that other manufacturers see the same and kick their offerings up a notch.

Yes, an updated Kawi W800 Scrambler would be very cool indeed. I think Kawi did a better styling job with the W650 than Triumph did in terms of capturing the true vintage look of the Meridan Triumphs.
  5. MotoJedeye

MotoJedeye C'mon Guy

Oddometer:
    I did not try it off road. I test road it for about 45 minutes. Backroads, regular urban use, and some highway.
  6. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand as it is only a test ride. The real test is living with a bike on a daily basis as that is when the real opinions form both good & bad. In fact I'm sure you are still evolving in your take on your Ducati as you log on the miles as we speak as I am on my Triumph. Based on what I gather from your vids your style of riding and recent bike history it would make sense that the Triumph wouldn't jazz you up as the Triumph is a laid back classic styled old school kind of ride. You found the urban scrambler that fits you but the saying different strokes for different folks applies here and while you might feel the Triumph has no redeeming value in comparison to the Ducati not everyone is looking to get out of a Scrambler what you are and we're lucky there is now more competition and choice in that shallow category.
    Like I've said there are lots of bikes that are better and have more glowing spec sheets but in the real world all I care about does the bike make me smile and allow me to do the type of riding I enjoy and most importantly does the styling speak to my soul. On these counts I can answer yes to all those as I imagine you can to the Ducati.
    Trust me I'm not a brand loyalist or specific type of guy and I have no prior Triumph ties and I owned a Ducati Hypermotard back in '08 or so and it was a fun bike. I just think you're selling the Triumph Scrambler just a tad short.
  7. MotoJedeye

MotoJedeye C'mon Guy

Oddometer:
    I concur with just about all your points. In the end- different strokes for different folks. The thing, I really wanted to LIKE the Triumph. It has the looks, great fit and finish- but for ME, it just didn't cut it. At least not with the Ducati out. Before the Ducati, when there was only Triumph and Guzzi, sure the Triumph made sense. Again, for ME, it just doesn't make sense anymore. Sorry but that's my opinion.
  8. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you. It's all good just choose the one you like and don't look back is my advice to those in the market. Just remember in 6 months there could be something new in the market and we'll be having this discussion all over again :1drink

Here's a link to a video that everyone might like. Oh and by the way the bike that wins is Roland Sands on his RSD Triumph Scrambler. :freaky
    http://youtu.be/i2kznyZRYgE
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    A close friend had a Thruxton for a couple weeks. He said it was the PT Cruiser of motorcycles. :lol3 I sort of like the new Ducati Scrambler, but actually the Paul Smart was probably a much better motorcycle. My close friend won an endurance race aboard one at Daytona. Ducati NA built the bike for racing and it was very special for as long as the motor lasted. After that it wasn't so special anymore.

I really couldn't watch that video. Too much jabber about nothing. Plus I lived there for a few years so there was nothing to see in it either.
  10. MotoJedeye

MotoJedeye C'mon Guy

Oddometer:

That's true. There is always a "New" bike out in the market. For now the Scrambler is my go to bike. I rarely ride my cruiser these days. Nice video!
  11. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Ducati Scrambler Icon(Red)That I'll be picking up in a week or so. Just waiting on some tires as it'll be used just like my Triumph Scrambler. Plan is to ride em both for the next couple of months and I'll see what my thoughts are then. I figure it's the only real way to come up with a fair evaluation of what I think of them for my style of riding.
    Hey it's a tough job but someone has to do it! :freaky
    My Triumph is at the shop getting the first service and the Arrow 2into1 exhaust installed and picking it up friday. I have to say I just am a tick below 900 miles and the motor is definitely starting to loosen up and rev freer so looking forward to seeing how the Arrow makes it feel.
  12. silverhead

silverhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious what you end up thinking about the Ducati. I can't see how it'd ever be a viable offroad vehicle for me, whereas the Triumph makes enough sense to use on trails. The Ducati is just chomping at the bit and it's sprung SO hard that even street use on crappy streets is a punishment to your body.

The Ducati scrambler seems like a flat track race bike more than it seems like an enduro in almost every sense other than that it also has too stiff of suspension to be used on a flat track...

Keep those OEM tires, since you might want to confine it to city street usage, where it is REALLY fun.
    oldschoolsk8ter likes this.
  13. MotoJedeye

MotoJedeye C'mon Guy

Oddometer:

I ride 95% in the urban environment. City, back-roads, Highway. For urban duty it has been a gem and it puts the Triumph to shame. As far as, dirt riding. I've only ridden about 20 miles on a fire trail. It did mine. Sure it could use better shocks, but for me ( I rarely ride-dirt) it is the perfect urban bike.
  14. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will certainly have lots of feedback once I get it in the stable. I wouldn't consider either one of them along the enduro lines. They are just street biased bikes that you can have fun with off road much like jeep crawling rather then enduro riding.
    Let's face it they both have their limits and have quite different personalities but I think they both hit the mark if your emphasis is on fun and not total performance.
  15. MotoJedeye

MotoJedeye C'mon Guy

Oddometer:

Agreed.. They are street bikes that can out perform other street bikes in the dirt .
  16. vntgmx

vntgmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta tell you trying to get some decent knobs for this thing is like going for root canal. TKC80 rear won't be available till July & up front you have to run a rear if you want a knob which for me & where I'll be off road is a must!
    Then the Termgnoni(?) slip up is a small fortune. Hell I just bought & had a full Arrow system installed on my Triumph for less then the cost of the slip on :eek1
    Have to stew on this as maybe it's a sign that it's not meant to be.
  17. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow,

The Duc Scrambler I sat on at the MC was sprung very soft. It sagged about 2+" just sitting on it.

Did they change the spring rates after going into production?
  18. RAJAH1

RAJAH1 Roger

Oddometer:
    20151128_175141.jpg
    It is about how a bike fits you. I love the W650 and scramblerized one. Despite the cool factor it was just physically a bit small, I'm 6.1 and partner not short either so for 2 up was definitely too small in size and cc. Would be fun to strip one down to bare bones for off road only. Anyway the Scrambler does well with the extra cc and physical size.
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    That bike looks really small!

20. MotoJedeye

MotoJedeye C'mon Guy

Oddometer:
    It kinda is.