Dude, lighten up! Anger issues?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andyvh1959, Nov 19, 2020.

1. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    Sometimes communication over the internet is hard.

I have enough problems communicating in a loud environment wearing this damn mask, never mind communicating with someone I never met.

So much of communication isn't just the words.
    vwnate1, ZoomerP, markk53 and 2 others like this.
  2. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    I too often find myself with a turn signal on and think, "This is what will ultimately get me killed."
    Hosebag, yamalama, vwnate1 and 6 others like this.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Everyone complained when either Harley or BMW had buttons you had to hold, but you couldn't leave them on. I need a bigass yellow LED in my face on the panel to realize the signal is on. Maybe hook up a back up beeper to 'em. :lol2
    vwnate1, Chaplain and AZbiker like this.
  4. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am bad for this as well. Try as I might to remember, I often get a reminder from a riding buddy.
    I am in the process of hooking up an LED light that is more within eyesight than the blinker lites.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  5. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must push the button to turn off my turn signals at least a hundred times every single time I ride. It's a bit of an OCD habit now...
    Hosebag, yamalama, bromax and 8 others like this.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    If ya don’t use the blinkers, ya can’t leave them on :)
  7. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but then some chaps-wearing accountant waves his .380 in your face while heading to the nearest "scooter bar" on his Road Pig.
    vwnate1, AZbiker and Barry like this.
  8. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Drop a gear and disappear...... :)
    wb57 likes this.
  9. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    What if I'm on my WR250R? :muutt
    vwnate1 likes this.
  10. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    They say those Road Pigs can’t do gravel. So you should be ok
    mtnbikeboy, wb57 and GravelRider like this.
  11. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Didn't think of the alternate outcome. Dad freaks out because the asswipe off the bike is waving a gun at his family, threatening his family, and he pulls out his legal (in Wisconsin, open carry and concealed carry by permit are legal) handgun and drops the guy. Biker dude could have been waving an empty gun, but who knows these days. In fact, HE is lucky he didn't get offed on the spot. At most dad "might" have gotten manslaughter. But then the dude's family could have sued for wrongful death in civil court, and won some amount of settlement. All because of a moment lapse about a directional and a gun.

People just need to chill a LOT more.
    vwnate1, borderlinebob and Tmaximusv like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    This... pulling a gun, and NOT using it can get you shot real fast. I know guys that can draw and fire in about 1.2 seconds. Stupid game to play.
    vwnate1, Tmaximusv and wb57 like this.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The entire purpose of the turn signal is an act of consideration to others, which is why it's use is declining. It serves the user no benefit except in those situations where the user is trying to notify other drivers of their intention to place their vehicle in a space that requires the signaled driver to take some sort of action to accommodate the signaling driver. And it's during these times that you can observe the mental anguish that these people go through as they are forced search for and move the long neglected lever left of their steering wheel.

Whether it's being distracted by other things going on in the car, being lazy, a display of arrogance/insecurity, or just the increase in selfishness occurring in our society people generally aren't considering other people when driving. I am sure the decrease in frequency of turn signal use among a population is inversely proportional to the increase in the number of people driving big, loud jacked up pick up trucks with the later scenario being a reflection on societal values, less than what type of vehicles are on the road.
    vwnate1, Tall Man, lnewqban and 3 others like this.
  14. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I think its also that people are getting less and less involved in the activity of accurately driving a vehicle. Unfortunately, as soon as autonomous cars are common a LOT of people will jump to them because they don't want to be mentally involved in controlling a vehicle. Which, to me is scary when the system either fails or cannot accurately control or position the vehicle and the person at the wheel must suddenly take over control.

Perhaps autonomous cars will return common courtesy to the roads? Things like proper spacing, proper signaling, proper lane placement in prep for an entrance or exit from the highway, perhaps even proper merging techniques?
  15. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drive a full size pickup and have for the last 35 years or so. It's normal height and not real loud and I always use my turn signals, unless there's no one around to see them.
  16. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I work on computers and know how frequently they break. Autonomous vehicles scare the fuck out of me.
    HuntWhenever, vwnate1, rwf and 5 others like this.
  17. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    The rider is a dumbass. On the other hand, the family now knows to turn on their blinkers very very scrupulously.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Dude, I test rode some old Honda with a buzzer turn signal (I think it was 550 from the late 70s) and it was annoying like hell! No thanks.
  19. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    If it doesn't have turn signals you can't leave them on.
    My 1964 Interceptor should be a real hoot, relying on hand signals nobody today understands.
    strommonster, AZbiker and AwDang like this.
  20. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was kind of a joke. I remember those bikes too. Really interesting when the rider still forgot to turn off the signal...
    vwnate1 and liberpolly like this.